Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

PsychedOut

By Ipaghost on February 11, 2018 11:57 pm

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
February 12, 2018 12:08 am

Loving the panning on this, really gives it that space and that vinyl crackle really gives it subtle character!

February 12, 2018 12:24 am

OMG Are you also into guitars, or are those plugins? The warmth of the sounds makes difficult to believe this is all in-the-box.

I thing I won't be able to sleep after watching your GIF. Trippy as F***!

Excellent work, no doubt! One of this year's favourites so long, from you.

February 12, 2018 1:32 am

Just the right amount of nasty.

February 12, 2018 2:51 am
Mortistar wrote:

Loving the panning on this, really gives it that space and that vinyl crackle really gives it subtle character!


I wanted to go harder on the pan because that's how it was back in the day, but I figured I let a bit bleed because it's a bit harsh in headphones.

laguna wrote:

OMG Are you also into guitars, or are those plugins? The warmth of the sounds makes difficult to believe this is all in-the-box.

I thing I won't be able to sleep after watching your GIF. Trippy as F***!

Excellent work, no doubt! One of this year's favourites so long, from you.


I used to play guitar back in the day, but I got rid of them all.
This is 100% simulated!

Jim Wood wrote:

Just the right amount of nasty.


Thanks!

February 12, 2018 1:22 pm

This fooled me in every way! Great job Ipaghost.

February 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Weired guitar tunes. Very tasty. Is it you on the drums too??

February 12, 2018 8:56 pm
evane wrote:

This fooled me in every way! Great job Ipaghost.



Surprise!

Q-Rosh wrote:

Weired guitar tunes. Very tasty. Is it you on the drums too??


Nope, everything is simulated & tracked.

February 13, 2018 6:08 am

perfect 1960s simulation

February 13, 2018 7:41 am
Aday wrote:

perfect 1960s simulation


Thanks!

February 13, 2018 11:41 am

refreshingly different from a lot of boring techno here

February 13, 2018 8:49 pm
Maschine Gun Ibiza wrote:

refreshingly different from a lot of boring techno here


that's some shady shade right there, but i'll take the complement!

February 14, 2018 3:37 am

Awesome guitar sound even if it is synthetic.  Love the 60's sound.

February 14, 2018 4:32 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Awesome guitar sound even if it is synthetic.  Love the 60's sound.


Thanks!

February 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Psychedelicious.

February 14, 2018 11:21 pm
Devieus wrote:

Psychedelicious.


February 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Mmmm simulated 60s jamz

February 17, 2018 12:35 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

Mmmm simulated 60s jamz


February 19, 2018 9:51 pm

I can't believe it's not butter!  Simulated instruments are getting better and creepier.

How'd you get this vinyl sound?  THIS IS AMAZING!!!

February 19, 2018 9:54 pm

(oh man, you really need a needle lift sound at the end)

February 19, 2018 11:34 pm
orangedrink wrote:

I can't believe it's not butter!  Simulated instruments are getting better and creepier.

How'd you get this vinyl sound?  THIS IS AMAZING!!!



It's a mix of a bunch of different instrument romplers and vst plugs all emulating classic hardware chains, mostly stuff found in Abbey Road Studios. There is a bunch of info out there on their equipment and techniques, and a lot of vsts out there that emulate them. Like Fairchild compressors, Pultec EQs, Vox amps, Rickenbacker guitars, tea towel drums, old synthesizers like the novachord, tape saturation, etc. As usual cutting high end always helps, and the hard panning was very common back then. Some of this gear is pretty iconic, so there is actually a lot of vsts that emulate them. Some are free! Although none are as authentic as the real thing, in a full setup like this, you can make them sound pretty close.
A lot of the techniques I've been honing over the last couple of wb years. I top it off with some wow and flutter + record noise samples which really sells the effect.

orangedrink wrote:

(oh man, you really need a needle lift sound at the end)


I'll add it to the comp version!

October 5, 2018 2:11 pm

after three quarters of the year has gone by, this tune definately qualifies as my most favourite track of all the ones i liestened to her on weekly.

i did not listen to all of your songs yet, but i wondered if and why this one sounds very different from your other ones. did you use a different "receipe"? smile

psyched out is just perfect in my book: the lo-fi twangly guitars, the warped synths... it has many of the elements that trigger my musical taste. i hear the cleaners from venus, todd rundgren, xtc...

thanks, and keep up the goo work!

October 5, 2018 9:17 pm
Machine Gun Ibiza wrote:

after three quarters of the year has gone by, this tune definately qualifies as my most favourite track of all the ones i liestened to her on weekly.

i did not listen to all of your songs yet, but i wondered if and why this one sounds very different from your other ones. did you use a different "receipe"? smile

psyched out is just perfect in my book: the lo-fi twangly guitars, the warped synths... it has many of the elements that trigger my musical taste. i hear the cleaners from venus, todd rundgren, xtc...

thanks, and keep up the goo work!


Hmmm, that is an interesting question. Not exactly sure why I went such a different direction than usual. I think the most unifying quality of my wb tracks is that they don't always have much in common with each other! lol my wbs are more like a really bad mix-tape than a cohesive album!

I can't remember exactly what I was thinking when I wrote this though, wish you asked sooner!
I do remember wanting to recreate a specific nostalgia of when I was much younger; my cousins in Peru used to LOVE the Beatles (to the point that they learned the lyrics phonetically, often asking me to translate the lyrics), so they would play me all their records. At this time, the Beatles animated cartoon reruns were broadcast in Peru (which I have never seen in the states) which I also enjoyed (it was dubbed in spanish except the song lyrics, but I like badly dubbed stuff). The opening chord is a bit of a nod to the cartoon intro. I have listened to some psych rock since, but this was definitely my introduction to it. As a kid I don't think I realized the amount of time that passed between the Beatles earlier saccharine sweet pop, to their more tripped out psych rock. I thought it was just different aspects of their sound, and I liked that they explored different styles. I was always a fan of artists that explored different styles (it doesn't seem to be a mainstream attitude these days, because marketing/brands).

Beyond pastiche, I do like the challenge of recreating real analog studio techniques digitally (it's very useful for my work), and the Abbey Road Studios sound is so seminal that I didn't even bother with the typical A/B testing, just winging it from memory, so it doesn't sound exactly like any specific recording. I had fond memories hard panning, which doesn't make as much sense in modern stereo setups, but I think it worked great for the large wooden turntable console cabinet I heard those records on.

Glad you dig it! I'll keep up the "goo" work! You might like next week's track which will be in the spooky surf rock genre!

October 5, 2018 10:34 pm

now i have to check out that beatles cartoon series.
and looking forward to the spooky surf song - halloween is coming after all...


thanks for answering!

October 6, 2018 12:30 am
Machine Gun Ibiza wrote:

now i have to check out that beatles cartoon series.
and looking forward to the spooky surf song - halloween is coming after all...


thanks for answering!


Lol, it was pretty bad! But I was a kid at the time! I'm pretty sure every episode had to have the cliche Scooby-Doo-Doors chase scene.
This archive has a few of the episodes dubbed in Spanish as I remember it! It says the show was dubbed in Mexico and only aired on Peru and Costa Rica, so I guess I was lucky to have seen it! Apparently the English version was rebroadcast on MTV and Disney in the mid to late 80s, but I didn't have those channels at the time.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up