Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

A Bright Day

By Gab Manette on March 15, 2020 6:38 am


I wanted to start earlier this week but I didn't have the energy, so I made this based off two rough ideas I had in my ideas folder and built from there!

Here's a little breakdown of the synths, in case you are curious.

They're all software, I'm listing the hardware counterparts, as well as the name of the VST (when they differ):

- Drums: Linn Drum samples (except the wood block, I think that one is stock from Live)
- Tubular Bells: Yamaha DX7 (via FM8, but really, any FM synth would do. FM synth tubular bells are so fun)
- Bassline: Korg Polysix (via Diva U-He)
- First intro arps, pads and melody bell lead: Roland Jupiter 8 (via Diva U-He)
- Second intro arp: Prophet 5 (via U-He Repro5)
- Melody accents on reprise: Roland D-50, 'Gamelan Bells' and 'A Bright Day' (yes, that's the title! hehe)
- End part arps: Diva U-He, two different patches, one is the Jupiter 8 again, the other is the Roland JP-8000. Layered and hard panned left and right. The one shot swell pad at the end of the intro is also the JP-8000.

I hope everyone had a good week!

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
March 16, 2020 12:02 am

Mmmmmm that is some saturating synthesizer and satisfying toms! Fun happy beat! Keeping my spirits up in these challenging times smile Love the chord change toward the middle

March 16, 2020 12:04 am

Lovely! Bright indeed.

Faved smile

March 16, 2020 12:04 am

Really nice synthwork here; love the arrangement.

March 16, 2020 12:06 am

Very posi vibes smile Love it. Sunny as hell. Ridin' a bike.

March 16, 2020 12:40 am

Thanks for bringing some much needed sunshine and positivity.  Really enjoying the upbeat vibes. 

March 16, 2020 1:04 am

Happy quarantine!

March 16, 2020 1:20 am

Ouain, tes delais c'est très cool smile . Toujours une très bonne esthétique tes trucs. Bien joué.

March 16, 2020 1:26 am

Can you make a montage of summer activities to this? The song warrants a second play back to back.

March 16, 2020 1:41 am

Awesome man, love this.  Those arps sweeps at the end are the coolest!  Does the Diva come with all of those synths emulated or is that something you dial in with it?

March 16, 2020 1:57 am
ngineer wrote:

Mmmmmm that is some saturating synthesizer and satisfying toms! Fun happy beat! Keeping my spirits up in these challenging times smile Love the chord change toward the middle

JerwuQu wrote:

Lovely! Bright indeed.

Faved smile

Mission Crossing wrote:

Really nice synthwork here; love the arrangement.

onidavin wrote:

Very posi vibes smile Love it. Sunny as hell. Ridin' a bike.

CosmicCairns wrote:

Thanks for bringing some much needed sunshine and positivity.  Really enjoying the upbeat vibes.

A big thank you to all! Music helps me escape from anxiety and stress, so I tend to compose upbeat stuff; it makes me really happy to read that it reaches others in the same way! heart

Procyon Lotor wrote:

Happy quarantine!

Vous aussi! Prends bien soin de ta belle famille! heart

djippy wrote:

Ouain, tes delais c'est très cool smile . Toujours une très bonne esthétique tes trucs. Bien joué.

Ah, merci beaucoup! J'aime beaucoup utiliser les délais pourtaint j'ai horreur d'arriver en retard. Go figure hihihi wink

Jokinen wrote:

Can you make a montage of summer activities to this? The song warrants a second play back to back.

Thank you! I will try to make it a bit longer if I revisit it!

I had montage images in my head while composing actually! It kept going back and forth between 3 friends. One skateboarding to school, the second, a gymnast going training early then her parents dropping her off, and the third bringing his science fair project in a milk crate attached to his bike. And they would all meet in front and walk in together.

Chrisfoo wrote:

Awesome man, love this.  Those arps sweeps at the end are the coolest!  Does the Diva come with all of those synths emulated or is that something you dial in with it?

Thank you very much! Diva is an all-in kind of deal, you can buy patches if you like but the synth itself comes with everything you need to reproduce those sounds. It's a very close emulation of the synths mentioned above but you won't find them under those specific names in there, I'm guessing for copyright reasons? Also the fact that you can actually mix and match oscillators, filters and envelopes to create synths that do not exist, which is a pretty cool feature in itself smile

March 16, 2020 4:42 am

This sounds like the soundtrack for a 80s sitcom. The arrangement is very good. smile

March 16, 2020 5:35 am

This was great, really wanted it to be the soundtrack to a montage of some sort, perhaps with an old-school Ferrari in it somewhere.

So catchy!

March 16, 2020 8:42 am

Such a sunny tune, makes ya want to go out since the streets are empty enough anyway.

March 16, 2020 9:51 am

Very lush synth work. Every time you push the Tubular Bells button I could see Tom Cruise on a motorbike wink

March 16, 2020 1:30 pm

You're 80's synth master. Morning coffee on a gloomy, pandemic day, listening to A Bright Day, very happy.

March 16, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes what a bright and happy song.  Love all the synths (thanks for listing them, that's super interesting).  Great work on this, it definitely conveys a bright, happy day.

March 16, 2020 6:48 pm

lovely piece and thanks for the synth breakdown, really helpful to learn from a master!!

March 16, 2020 7:22 pm

So bright!

March 16, 2020 7:39 pm

Beautiful main melody, I like how it plays over those long chords. The second chord is an absolute peach. Love it heart

March 16, 2020 10:17 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:

This sounds like the soundtrack for a 80s sitcom. The arrangement is very good. smile

Many thanks! It's the exact kind of soundscape I was going for!! big_smile

hent03 wrote:

This was great, really wanted it to be the soundtrack to a montage of some sort, perhaps with an old-school Ferrari in it somewhere.

So catchy!

Thank you!! Yah I could totally picture an old-school Ferrari too hehehe (red, of course) big_smile

Devieus wrote:

Such a sunny tune, makes ya want to go out since the streets are empty enough anyway.

Nice big_smile I actually went outside a bit today to grab some rays, I'm stuck working from home for some time, as long as I walk alone it's pretty safe!

laguna wrote:

Very lush synth work. Every time you push the Tubular Bells button I could see Tom Cruise on a motorbike wink

Aaaah yes! That's the stuff, thank you!

mikememo wrote:

You're 80's synth master. Morning coffee on a gloomy, pandemic day, listening to A Bright Day, very happy.

heart Thank you! Things are indeed gloomy, I hope you and yours are all safe and sound smile

coreytrev0r wrote:

Yes what a bright and happy song.  Love all the synths (thanks for listing them, that's super interesting).  Great work on this, it definitely conveys a bright, happy day.

Thanks! And my pleasure for the list, I wanted to talk about where the song's title came from but I ended up listing everything instead hehehe

Bleeoop wrote:

lovely piece and thanks for the synth breakdown, really helpful to learn from a master!!

Thank you kindly! I don't know about being a master tho hehehe, I just really love synths! Super happy that it was helpful! heart

Ipaghost wrote:

So bright!

Aaah, Richmond! heart

hieme wrote:

Beautiful main melody, I like how it plays over those long chords. The second chord is an absolute peach. Love it <3

Thank you!! big_smile Funny you would say peach as I *just* learned the kanji for peach (momo) today, it's 桃

March 17, 2020 12:12 am

This sure brightened my day.  I love the how your tunes can really paint a picture of a scenario that your music would fit perfectly with.  Did you write 80s film's musical scores and not tell anybody here?!

March 17, 2020 5:34 am

These retro beats are really brightening my days under quarantine!

March 17, 2020 9:30 am

So many classic sounds here, used with great taste and respect for the tradition. Very positive vibes, again. Great stuff...

March 17, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks for listing all of the synths used that's super useful.

March 18, 2020 7:18 pm

It needs a huge knowledge to arrange the synth this way, to make such a beautiful composition. very well done.

March 19, 2020 3:20 pm

Excellent! J'adore les arp à la fin! Ça sonne super bien tout ensemble!

March 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Nice and catchy as ever.
Thanks for breaking it down! And nice to see you're also a fan of DIVA. I think that is a great piece of software. Sounds so organic for a soft synth!

March 20, 2020 3:44 pm

Woah that beginning took me back to some Jan Hammer jams with a bit of Top Gun's bell theme.  Super bright!  PS Diva is awesome!

March 22, 2020 11:43 pm

Beautiful track. Very uplifting sound.  And you got most of my favorite vintage synths in there. You're the king of the hand clap! Always brings a smile to my face! Love the arps!!

March 23, 2020 12:00 pm

That Diva U-He pulls some decent synth tones.  Like the arp plucks at the start in particular and the big melody sound.  And how big does the Linn drum sound. Big splats!

March 25, 2020 5:04 pm
demonzor wrote:

This sure brightened my day.  I love the how your tunes can really paint a picture of a scenario that your music would fit perfectly with.  Did you write 80s film's musical scores and not tell anybody here?!

danju wrote:

These retro beats are really brightening my days under quarantine!

Ashen Simian wrote:

So many classic sounds here, used with great taste and respect for the tradition. Very positive vibes, again. Great stuff...

Ryan wrote:

Thanks for listing all of the synths used that's super useful.

Q-Rosh wrote:

It needs a huge knowledge to arrange the synth this way, to make such a beautiful composition. very well done.

??? wrote:

Excellent! J'adore les arp à la fin! Ça sonne super bien tout ensemble!

dj someguy wrote:

Nice and catchy as ever.
Thanks for breaking it down! And nice to see you're also a fan of DIVA. I think that is a great piece of software. Sounds so organic for a soft synth!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Woah that beginning took me back to some Jan Hammer jams with a bit of Top Gun's bell theme.  Super bright!  PS Diva is awesome!

NWSPR wrote:

Beautiful track. Very uplifting sound.  And you got most of my favorite vintage synths in there. You're the king of the hand clap! Always brings a smile to my face! Love the arps!!

rdomain wrote:

That Diva U-He pulls some decent synth tones.  Like the arp plucks at the start in particular and the big melody sound.  And how big does the Linn drum sound. Big splats!


Thank you all for the wonderful comments and for checking out my track! It puts a smile in my heart and on my face! I'm sorry I've been a bit overwhelmed in the past few days so excuse my late response!

March 26, 2020 12:59 pm

There is no surprise that when I come back to check out your submissions that I will enjoy the upbeat sounds in clean and clear atmosphere that takes me to a time I have never experienced or lived in except in a film--which was played on broadcast tv or a VHS 5-10 years after it originally released. I love this stuff. The only logical question here is when do we see an album, breh? "Peppermint" isn't enough to satiate the hunger I have for some airy tunes. I need that fluffy goodness in mass. It's Halloween but you're our teacher acting like it's test time and you're treating us with one peppermint candy to get our brain juices flowing. Seriously, I feel an album would be awesome.

March 26, 2020 1:23 pm
Anon_Buster wrote:

There is no surprise that when I come back to check out your submissions that I will enjoy the upbeat sounds in clean and clear atmosphere that takes me to a time I have never experienced or lived in except in a film--which was played on broadcast tv or a VHS 5-10 years after it originally released. I love this stuff. The only logical question here is when do we see an album, breh? "Peppermint" isn't enough to satiate the hunger I have for some airy tunes. I need that fluffy goodness in mass. It's Halloween but you're our teacher acting like it's test time and you're treating us with one peppermint candy to get our brain juices flowing. Seriously, I feel an album would be awesome.

Hehehehehe, that's a funny metaphor! big_smile Thank you very much for listening so avidly, it fills me with joy to read that! I don't know if you saw, but on my bandcamp there is more than Peppermint. Last year I released two EPs, Paradise Mall and Dream Dimension! Here, this page shows you all my releases: https://gabmanette.bandcamp.com/music

I am putting the finishing touches on a 10 track album; you've already heard seven of them as part of this year's WB though hehehe smile It should come out in May.

Thanks again! heart

March 26, 2020 1:38 pm
Gab Manette wrote:

Hehehehehe, that's a funny metaphor! big_smile Thank you very much for listening so avidly, it fills me with joy to read that! I don't know if you saw, but on my bandcamp there is more than Peppermint. Last year I released two EPs, Paradise Mall and Dream Dimension! Here, this page shows you all my releases: https://gabmanette.bandcamp.com/music

I am putting the finishing touches on a 10 track album; you've already heard seven of them as part of this year's WB though hehehe smile It should come out in May.

Thanks again! <3

The link is appreciated. I clicked the name, but it just gave me Peppermint again. These dang new fangled computa-doot-doo-doot-doot-da-Dora's. Keep on keepin'on.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up