Melbourne, Australia

Any thoughts on the Korg MR-2?

NSW

Oh, that looks nice : ) I'm guessing it's replaced the MR-1 and as such wouldn't be that much different specs-wise(??) In any case, you 'd be wanting to use it with an external mic when recording outdoors (assuming that's what you mean by "large, open space").

As far as books devoted to (field recording?) mic technique goes..no; and the phonography "Masters" tell me it's all: "practice practice practice", which is not particularly helpful in modern times. Krauses' book 'Wild Soundscapes' has some bits and pieces that might be of interest to you (but is otherwise fascinating). Also, the 'Sound Effects Bible and Practical Recording Guide 5' (again, recommended to me by my Hons. Super., who I have a LOT of respect for : ).

Melbourne, Australia

The MR-2 does look very nice and the review I read was very favourable for no-noise recording. That looks like a potential winner, though is a bit more than I was hoping to spend. Maybe I'll try and find a bit of money from some kind of fundage...
Those books sound great too, I'll see if the library at Uni has copies!

May I ask who your hons. supervisor was?

NSW

What Uni do you go to??

Christian Haines (aka 'Jesus Christ').

Melbourne, Australia

I am doing honours at Monash Uni in Melbourne. I'm investigating spectralism and how it can inform improvisation, but part of my composition folio will use found sounds for the electronic part of an alto flute + c flute duet (trio?) with electronics, and will be spectral in construction. So having a decent field recorder would be pretty helpful! Monash doesn't have those books, unfortunately. sad

Christian seems (at a cursory glance at his profile on the Elder website) to be right into the electronic/computer music thing. I'd say that so far, computer music practitioners have been the "best" practical composition teachers, that I've had. I used to study with Peter McIlwain, and he was excellent as a mentor! Not sure if you know him?

Back on thread topic. The Sony looks (and sounds) pretty good, especially for the money compared to the Korg. The Marantz 620 sounds excellent for instruments, but is expensive and comparatively bulky. Hm... getting tough!