The Wisconsin
midimachine wrote:

If you like FL's interface and workflow a lot you will probably have trouble getting to grips with other software (especially Reason!).

If you're not planning on recording anything then you can get the "fruityloops" edition of FL which doesn't have the advanced routing and recording capabilities of the producer edition but is half the cost and still lets you use VSTs and all that jazz. Then if you ever need to upgrade you can pay the difference later, or if you want to start using a more recording-centric DAW like ProTools or Cubase you can run the fruityloops edition inside other DAWs as a ReWire client.

btw: been using FL for all of my WB stuff so far. It's pretty great!

However, I've done my research, and that version has no automation clips! No fades, etc...

Cincinnati, Ohio
e.s.c. wrote:
spry wrote:

MagiX Music Maker is pretty cheap and has some serious capabilities.  you should look into it.  its cheap it you want to buy it.  its even cheaper if you dont.......

pirating ~$20 software is just silly...

The newest version of Magix is version 17 i believe and it sells for 99$.  you can download it from their website.  if you pay for it, it actually comes with a whole bunch of VST plugins and sample packs built in as well as synthesizers etc.  its compatible with standard VST plugins too so you can import your favorites from other programs.  the mastering suite is pretty great and it can handle 5.1 and gives a lot of control over the final output sound. it can even handle video if you dont need to do any serious editing.  over all a very nice program for the cost.

Gosford, Australia
Dwight Davis wrote:

However, I've done my research, and that version has no automation clips! No fades, etc...

You can still record and plot automation as events (i.e. how automation was handled before FL 5) wink

Last edited by midimachine (January 25, 2012 3:56 am)

The Wisconsin
midimachine wrote:
Dwight Davis wrote:

You can still record and plot automation as events (i.e. how automation was handled before FL 5) wink

I started using it on FL 7 or 8. I don't quite know how to do that D:

Gosford, Australia

Right click any paramater and select "edit events", then click around in the event window to plot automation. Anything you put in this window is "saved" into the currently selected pattern.

Also I think if you press record and then move a dial/fader around then by default it should record events and not automation clips (again, into the currently selected pattern).

Adelaide, Australia

I can't really give an opinion other than I love what I know, and FLS is what I know. tongue
I've buggerised around with others like Reason and Ableton, but never really got much done in them.
Probably because I look back and remember how long it took me to know FLS as well as I do (probably not well!).

In the end, I think the most important part is that you're comfortable with the program you're using. Something that allows you to get your creativity down on proverbial paper, without tying you up with complications.

The Wisconsin

Thanks for all the help guys! I guess I know FL best, so that's probably what I'll buy. Also, thanks for the info Midi! That'll help me a lot!

Geneva, NY

Yeah, another vote for FL here. I wrote and recorded an entire album with it way back in versions 4 then 5. I also play guitar, bass and sing; and don't know my way around a keyboard very well. I had no problems recording live instruments into FL. Of course, about 2 years ago I abandoned it and moved on to Reaper as a deliberate decision to change my musical workflow, but I can say that every single week in 2012, I've thought "why aren't I doing this in FL? It would be so much easier!" Truth.

chicago-/-il-/-us
spry wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

pirating ~$20 software is just silly...

The newest version of Magix is version 17 i believe and it sells for 99$.  you can download it from their website.  if you pay for it, it actually comes with a whole bunch of VST plugins and sample packs built in as well as synthesizers etc.  its compatible with standard VST plugins too so you can import your favorites from other programs.  the mastering suite is pretty great and it can handle 5.1 and gives a lot of control over the final output sound. it can even handle video if you dont need to do any serious editing.  over all a very nice program for the cost.

Its $15 plus shipping on newegg for magix music maker 17
..oops, tiger direct, not newegg

Last edited by e.s.c. (January 25, 2012 6:00 pm)

Minneapolis, MN

Anyone tried Reaper? It's supposed to be awesome and totally cheap and geared toward the user rather than the pockets of some corporation, check it out, although I think it is more geared at recording rather than producing so much.

Cincinnati, Ohio
e.s.c. wrote:
spry wrote:

Its $15 plus shipping on newegg for magix music maker 17
..oops, tiger direct, not newegg

youre right, but i think that version is the stripped down version.  the 99$ version (Premium?) comes with a whole lot of other stuff like the plugins, mastering suite, online support and tons of downloadable content which you dont get with the bare bones one.

chicago-/-il-/-us

As far as I can tell, the bonus content is still just a bunch of samples....

Cincinnati, Ohio

samples (and LOTS of them), synths/virtual instruments, vst plugins, effects plugins, online support (which is quite extensive), and access to their store where you can buy pretty much anything you could ever want to add to the program.

St Louis

dude, the FL folks have a 35% off sale for a few more days: http://www.image-line.com/documents/new … k-you-sale

chicago-/-il-/-us
spry wrote:

samples (and LOTS of them), synths/virtual instruments, vst plugins, effects plugins, online support (which is quite extensive), and access to their store where you can buy pretty much anything you could ever want to add to the program.

cool, so i can pay more for access to a store & tech support (for software which doesnt really need it) and a mastering suite which probably works little different than using the master effects to do your EQ & compression..
vst & plugin support has been in magix for years and there is no shortage of ones that you could already get for free..
either way, youre still trying to justify stealing it for some strange reason when there is nothing you really need that isn't in the standard version which can be bought for $15

Cincinnati, Ohio
e.s.c. wrote:

either way, youre still trying to justify stealing it for some strange reason when there is nothing you really need that isn't in the standard version which can be bought for $15

im not trying to justify or advocate stealing anything.  that comment was only intended to say it was possible. im trying to accurately represent a product which you seem intent on bashing for whatever reason.  It works great for me and i just thought someone (im guessing not you) might like to know that.