FL

I don't feel that I ever have writers block, i just sometimes feel like It is difficult to beat my previous track. But I have been making a track per week or more since the start of 2011, so this is really becoming just... part of my life now.

CK wrote:

A way to break out musically is to hunt down a chart listing, it could be from the 70s 80s or any style your into. Find the one or two tracks that you actually dig and look into the group with discogs and wikipedia and find out who produced them, who mixed them, what gear they used, check out any videos on youtube. One group I discovered this way that's been a big influence on me is Lime.

This is a great idea, I got into The Zombies and Big Star the same way.

adelaide
tIB wrote:

I'm sequenced and good to go, trying to live record the damn thing is proving difficult though. hmm

I am in the same boat. Facing some issues of instrumental performance.

^ I decided to cheat- added a couple of synth parts which pulled the live stuff together, snipped it down and uploaded. Good luck getting sorted.

I scrapped what I was working on and started all over again. My toolchain has recently changed, so I'm getting into that awful point of time where I have an idea but I can't get to the sounds in time before the inspiration has flown the coop. I think I'll be OK. This weekend is probably going to be 40 hours of writing though smile

Leeds

Take an old idea/uncompleted song, take the bits you like, chop it up, remix it, finish it(?!)
That's what I've done this week as I've not had as much time as I wanted due to my life taking a massive U-turn!

Last edited by FullAutoStop (January 13, 2012 11:22 am)

Michigan, USA

I had a bit of a setback where I had a song going and then I lost it.  That happened to me a few times.  Then i finally got something that I was getting into and FL Studio Crashed FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.  But I got something going again so it's all good big_smile

AU

Yup!  Saturday night - 1am - haven't started anything.  Still hung over from last night too!!   I started recording a guitar track last week - but my 20 years old strat copy is useless in the studio... it's buzz / hum from the pickups are massively loud.  I've tried turning all monitors off and unplugging everything in the area but I think it's just stuffed.  So back at square one.  I might just record it anyway and subject you all to layers of 50hz hum!!

^ embrace the hum, throw reverb at it and call it music concrete?

Got mine done but was definitely a bit of a struggle! Roll on monday! haha

Liverpool, United Kingdom

I'm hoping that I can work as quickly as usual and get this loop into a song tonight. Managed to make 2 ideas because of the octatrack so I need to find a way to chop them together.

Riverside, CA
PWR wrote:

Then i finally got something that I was getting into and FL Studio Crashed FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

sacramento
BDR wrote:

I scrapped what I was working on and started all over again. My toolchain has recently changed, so I'm getting into that awful point of time where I have an idea but I can't get to the sounds in time before the inspiration has flown the coop. I think I'll be OK. This weekend is probably going to be 40 hours of writing though smile

you described most of my week perfectly...and music writing career in general. This happened to me so much that I have days where I'll just work on patches or sample stuff just so it doesn't happen again.

Leeds
tIB wrote:

^ embrace the hum, throw reverb at it and call it music concrete?

Agreeeed! embrace it!!! you'll look back on it and appreciate that you captured something special and relevant to the period of time which is NOW!!! surely that's what this is all about? : )

Sweden

To counter writers block I usually take a stick of dynamite, drill a hole in the middle of the block, place the dynamite in the hole, lit the fuse and enjoy the little things in life.

Or i'll just go out and enjoy the landscape, play a game or do work. Then when I get the flame burning again I'll just Alt+F4 and get on the track. (No pun intended)

Melbourne, Australia

Luckily I didn't get that, however, I did get software-blocked. In that, I forgot how to do MIDI triggering properly, and once I figured it out, all the changes seems to have confused the software and it was ages before I figured out that a simple software restart would fix things. Well, there you have it. Writer's block eh? If you write and write, something will be good. Also, I always try to not work linearly, and to have an overarching concept/form in mind prior to writing. Less so with the generative music I'm doing at the moment on here, but still need to have an idea/concept/form in mind, even if it's not strictly adhered to. Also, as someone mentioned, enjoying the things in life is a great way to find inspiration!

Am thinking on what to do for week 3 now!

Last edited by fc (January 15, 2012 1:30 pm)