Weeklybeats 2020 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 7,500 music compositions by over 300 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Michelle

By fetalface on October 17, 2020 4:32 am

Written as a contribution to the "living wake" of my friend Michelle, who turns 40 this week.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE you are wonderful!

The bird sounds were accidentally added when i set the tune to video for her birthday tribute (I had thought garageband stripped audio from imported video tracks).
Finally noticing the problem of speakers with this one. Sounded fine monitoring on headphones, but when I listen on my laptop speakers all the bass drops out! I boosted the volume on the bass tracks to compensate, which still sounded OK on headphones... but I bet there's bass tricks out there that could help

PS. sorry if this sounds too much like other tracks I've posted. I've probably got one good song in me that keeps squeaking out in different variations.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
October 19, 2020 9:13 am

Having one song type is the basis of a solid career. Fans will know what to expect, new people will know to listen to your whole work, old followers will begrudge you for changing.

I like the bell in this.

October 20, 2020 3:02 am

Michelle sounds like a wonderful plant mom.  Very cool vibe on this track!  The wind chimes are perfect for this with this dissonant overtones.  Love it.  Also, one of the most useful bass tricks someone showed me is using parallel saturation/distortion to make it pop out without having to boost too much.  I'd definitely recommend checking out a youtube tutorial on it if you dont use that already.

October 20, 2020 3:38 am
Devieus wrote:

Having one song type is the basis of a solid career. Fans will know what to expect, new people will know to listen to your whole work, old followers will begrudge you for changing.

I like the bell in this.

Ahhh it is a preset on my oft neglected Ultranova. I like it too. Sucker for synth bells.

Chrisfoo wrote:

Michelle sounds like a wonderful plant mom.  Very cool vibe on this track!  The wind chimes are perfect for this with this dissonant overtones.  Love it.  Also, one of the most useful bass tricks someone showed me is using parallel saturation/distortion to make it pop out without having to boost too much.  I'd definitely recommend checking out a youtube tutorial on it if you dont use that already.

Yes she is and I hope I have the werewithal to look this up. I'm an old dog... Appreciate your advice immensely though!!!

October 22, 2020 4:35 am

Whoaaa, this is really cool. Kinda getting a spooky VHS fantasy movie you found in some shop vibe.

October 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Pretty! What a great gift for Michelle. Those that keep the gardens alive are treasures.

October 30, 2020 6:46 pm
onidavin wrote:

Whoaaa, this is really cool. Kinda getting a spooky VHS fantasy movie you found in some shop vibe.

onidavin, that is a high compliment thank you.

miraclemiles wrote:

Pretty! What a great gift for Michelle. Those that keep the gardens alive are treasures.

Yes she is a gem!

November 9, 2020 8:41 am

Haha, this is great!  Love the vocals and lyrics along with the melodic counterpart.  Almost Flaming Lips type of feel. 

December 15, 2020 10:32 pm

This is great. The kinda pseudo-gamelan percussion works well. I'm really loving your pitch material - kinda King Crimson-y (or Debussy if you prefer).

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up