Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

fc

fern

By fc on January 25, 2020 11:34 am

Named after the plant I looked at when I exported the mp3.

https://github.com/vgiles/weeklybeats/b … ol2.maxpat <- patch (Max8; uses mc objects, patch is super messy because idgaf) if you wanna have a look.

Thanks to https://cycling74.com/forums/driven-und … oscillator for the Van der Pol oscillator implementation in gen~, I couldn't work out how to translate the math with limited time. Should probably take some lessons there.

This is a piece that uses a constantly recording buffer from a single Van der Pol Oscillator and the groove~ object to read from this buffer constantly, fed through adsrs, randomly generated sequences, et-cet-er-a. Quite a bit of post-prod in Live. This is not how I wanted it to turn out but it's pretty cool nonetheless. The stereo effect isn't quite as pronounced as I wanted, either. But I compensated with so much reverb.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
January 27, 2020 12:29 am

I feel genuinely attacked by that sound, and it's fantastic. Great stuff!

January 27, 2020 2:34 am

I love this. Oddly soothing. Kind of sounds like the death rattles of an android.

January 27, 2020 3:05 am

I love the sound of the restraint here.  It's like it's trying to bubble to the surface but never really succeeds.  The depth of thought for the title is the best though.  Haha!

I'd love to have more (more like some) gen~ knowledge and the math stuff can get so difficult if you're not studied on it.  I do love some simple math I've come across which can do things you wouldn't think to use it for. 

January 27, 2020 4:37 am
Mortistar wrote:

I feel genuinely attacked by that sound, and it's fantastic. Great stuff!


You're welcome. And also many thanks, that is kind of you.

kevanatkins wrote:

I love this. Oddly soothing. Kind of sounds like the death rattles of an android.


I had to listen to it again to get the death rattles, now I can't unhear it.

rdomain wrote:

I love the sound of the restraint here.  It's like it's trying to bubble to the surface but never really succeeds.  The depth of thought for the title is the best though.  Haha!

I'd love to have more (more like some) gen~ knowledge and the math stuff can get so difficult if you're not studied on it.  I do love some simple math I've come across which can do things you wouldn't think to use it for.


Thanks. Yeah, it's like a permanent state of frustration or something, hey? I love a good fancy title.

Gen~ seems pretty straight forward but because any MSP knowledge doesn't really translate it's just a bit... eh. If you look at the patch, the math in this one is all in a codebox object inside the gen~ subpatch, which to me makes way more sense. The math itself isn't too hard I don't think (in that I can mostly read it), for me it's the translation from calculus to code that I lack.

January 27, 2020 5:04 pm

sounds almost like a tape loop, so delicate a machine whisper

we truly love to see it

gonna upgrade to live suite for my birthday then i can start playing with max heart

January 28, 2020 12:59 am

lovely noise here. I dig the flangey, feedbacked tone under the reverb. Echo the tape comment, definitely has that character. Have to have a look at Van der Pol oscs, not sure i've encountered them

January 28, 2020 1:01 am

ah nice! it's a chaos type thing - should give it a go!

January 28, 2020 2:07 am
fieldcollage wrote:

sounds almost like a tape loop, so delicate a machine whisper

we truly love to see it

gonna upgrade to live suite for my birthday then i can start playing with max &lt;3

Thanks very much. I do love a good tape loop - might make one for a piece soon. Good luck with the Max (4 Live) adventure!



lysdexic wrote:

lovely noise here. I dig the flangey, feedbacked tone under the reverb. Echo the tape comment, definitely has that character. Have to have a look at Van der Pol oscs, not sure i've encountered them

lysdexic wrote:

ah nice! it's a chaos type thing - should give it a go!

Thanks heaps. I didn't notice the flangey feedback under the reverb. I imagine it's an artefact from stacking two convolution reverbs on top of each other. I reckon you'd have a great time with the VdP - if you make a better (more stable) algorithm in max I'd love to pilfer it for later work.

January 28, 2020 2:37 am

For sure!

February 9, 2020 6:19 am

I'm such a damn dummy. I just got what you meant by "fellow fern-er." What platform are you doing this in? I'm immediately intrigued with the strangely consistent randomness.

February 9, 2020 8:09 am
ecso wrote:

I'm such a damn dummy. I just got what you meant by "fellow fern-er." What platform are you doing this in? I'm immediately intrigued with the strangely consistent randomness.


Perfect description, "consistent randomness". Because it's chaos rather than randomness there's this kind of cyclic nature to it, I dunno. This was done using gen~ in MaxMSP.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up