WeeklyBeats.com / Music / ExtentOfTheJam's music / Unrelenting Battle (Yamaha OPL3)

Unrelenting Battle (Yamaha OPL3)

By ExtentOfTheJam on January 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Another Thunderforce-inspired OPL3 jam with the preview copy of the new RADTracker. This one only uses a few tracks. The extra waveforms are great for gritting up that slap bass!

January 22, 2018 1:38 am

The bass is the star of this baby but that vibrato organ sound is pretty great as well. Not going to lie, I was hoping for a slightly longer B section that takes it to a more remote place, but it's still good stuff and I enjoyed the chord changes in the B section. It really captures that classic 90s shmup sound for sure, and if you told me it was from one of those old games I'd definitely believe you.

January 22, 2018 2:00 am

e... e.. efff.... e... e..emmmm?!

January 22, 2018 4:03 am

this drive in this song is awesome. would be cool as a eurobeat track.

January 22, 2018 11:55 am

digging that bass! Funky! Melos are also nice...

January 22, 2018 2:37 pm

really nice driving tune! The bass is pretty aggressive

January 22, 2018 7:32 pm
Snyderman wrote:

That's a really good idea. I can totally see that. I think if the B part built to somewhere the second time around, it'd make it more satisfying than just modulating right back. It would give it a real purpose.

I'm looking for feedback on the chords. I might be sticking with 7ths too much, and maybe that's making it feel trapped-- as opposed to throwing a 9th in there sometimes.  I've been also trying to incorporate more circle of 4ths into the chord changes to jazz it up, because I have a tendency to do rock/pop chords too much.

The bassline is driving, but maybe it sticks on the 1 too much of the time.

January 22, 2018 7:34 pm

The chords are basically me just playing with stacked 5ths. I should stack 4ths as well to increase the density at certain points.

January 24, 2018 7:11 am

I'm digging it. the chords are fine.

January 24, 2018 2:24 pm

DAT BASS DOE!!!  Dig it, man!

May 9, 2018 7:32 am