Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

You Bass

By E-dub on January 3, 2018 4:24 pm

The title is a play on words. I bought a bass ukulele (called a U-Bass) a couple months ago and used it in this song. I also got a new "Mallets" pack for Addictive Drums 2 and used it for this. The guitar parts are played on a archtop hollow body that I built from a kit that I bought from thefretwire.com. The archtop is modified with better electronics and Seymour Duncan Hotrodded Humbucker pickups.

Still using Studio One 3 Professional as a DAW. This song uses Izotope's DDLY Digital Delay plugin as well as their Nectar 2 plugin (which is designed for vocal harmonies but I find it works great as a guitar effect). I also used Native Instruments Guitar Rig Pro 5 for the guitars and for the UBass.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike (BY-NC-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
January 8, 2018 12:38 am

Yo Edmund! You're back this year, mate! NICE!

I'm digin' the whole sound. Quite rounded and clear, yet still punchy as hell. It has some rawness to it, like a punk 4 track demo without the hassle and the hiss. You muffled the snare quite a lot, and it really works. I had to read the description because I thought you were working with an actual band this time.

Great to hear you again man!!! Peace from Madrid smile

January 8, 2018 1:15 am

Welcome back!  Yeah, I've got to agree this has a nice full band kind of sound to it.  Really digging the part where the guitar kind of kicks it up a notch around 3/4's of the way through.

January 8, 2018 1:46 am
laguna wrote:

Yo Edmund! You're back this year, mate! NICE!

I'm digin' the whole sound. Quite rounded and clear, yet still punchy as hell. It has some rawness to it, like a punk 4 track demo without the hassle and the hiss. You muffled the snare quite a lot, and it really works. I had to read the description because I thought you were working with an actual band this time.

Great to hear you again man!!! Peace from Madrid smile


Thanks bunches. I’ve learned a lot about making fake drums sound better. I didn’t have to contend with vocals either and that made things a bit easier.

January 8, 2018 1:49 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Welcome back!  Yeah, I've got to agree this has a nice full band kind of sound to it.  Really digging the part where the guitar kind of kicks it up a notch around 3/4's of the way through.


Thanks for listening. I really appreciate the feedback. I love my arch top but I don’t use it enough. Someone stole my Washburn acoustic (that I personally installed an LR Baggs mic in) early last  month so I bought a new Seagull and it’s pretty nice.

January 8, 2018 2:09 am

Sounds like a live band; impressive!  Nice fat sound from the U-Bass.

January 8, 2018 2:28 am

yeah. drums sound very convincing.. fun track too wink

January 8, 2018 2:43 am

I feel like I'm at the hole in the wall in austin, tx listening to a band. fun stuff and sweet guitars

January 8, 2018 3:17 am

sweet garage jam, laid back groove. dig it.

January 8, 2018 6:49 am

Cool! Yeah very underground nightclub feel... Like the varied effects on the lead .. Nice!

January 8, 2018 6:54 am

great track gimme dem VOCALS smile

January 8, 2018 10:40 am

This has jamming CAN attitude. Waiting for Damo Suzuki to sing.

January 8, 2018 1:07 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

Sounds like a live band; impressive!  Nice fat sound from the U-Bass.

Phil Harmonic wrote:

yeah. drums sound very convincing.. fun track too wink

cfurrow wrote:

I feel like I'm at the hole in the wall in austin, tx listening to a band. fun stuff and sweet guitars

minikomi wrote:

sweet garage jam, laid back groove. dig it.

Podling wrote:

Cool! Yeah very underground nightclub feel... Like the varied effects on the lead .. Nice!

Thanks all. I’m anxious to listen to your tunes.


orangedrink wrote:

great track gimme dem VOCALS smile

This week will have vocals and zero guitars or other stringed instruments. Glad you’re back Drew.




Q-Rosh wrote:

This has jamming CAN attitude. Waiting for Damo Suzuki to sing.

Much appreciated.

January 8, 2018 6:58 pm

A suhweet jam that has an awesome vintage feel & sound to it.  Definitely digging those drums too.  Nice job!

January 9, 2018 2:44 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

A suhweet jam that has an awesome vintage feel & sound to it.  Definitely digging those drums too.  Nice job!

Much obliged.

January 9, 2018 8:40 pm

That uke bass is sounding really good!  (I'd kind of like it louder...but I tend to boost my bass too high.)  Digging the surfy clean guitars, as well--and congrats on building from a kit! (That's how I did my Res-O.)  Very cool.

January 10, 2018 12:11 am

Nice tune man. I saw a 5 string U-Bass advertised on the back cover of Musician this month. Very cool. Great sound out of your hollow body but you know I like fat body guitars.

January 15, 2018 1:41 pm

This is sweet!
Nice Uke-Bass, and I love your guitar sound so much.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up