Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.


By Devieus on April 14, 2016 7:34 pm

First quarter is done, time for an overhaul, a big one.

I used to only pick the instruments, but I realized that doesn't mean I don't get to put on some pretty filters in the process, make some extra instruments play the songs, as long as the notes don't change. It does mean some extra steps: exporting from MuseScore to MIDI, to LMMS for processing, to WAV (because LMMS doesn't export to MP3), using Audacity to convert to MP3, then MP3tag to tag my song (don't forget to tag your songs, kids, I'll know who isn't doing that).

Under the hood, the whole thing has essentially been destroyed, instead of making all the notes first, the generator now works with progressions, but this is really just the start, because next week it'll also procedurally generate scales. Whole, complete, fucking scales*, to actually base the progression on. I made a test program that made a non-existent scale already; ran it again and it made the Neapolitan major. So next week it'll make whatever the fuck it wants.

Maybe I should work on using machine learning, adding weights and shit. Perhaps for next quarter when the alphabet goes back down.

* Given they're heptatonic scales, anything more or less will upset the balance.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up