Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Live Show

By Devieus on September 23, 2018 8:03 pm

This is far from an actual live show, there are no two melodica players, there is no crowd, and they are definitely not clapping to the beat. I mean, the clapping is to the beat well enough, but it's really just my physical hand claps layered to make it sound like there's more of them with slight variations between them. It's a rather neat trick. It's also how I did the melodica part, make a simple jig and record each part several times so I can sequence and layer it with natural variations in Audacity.

However the allegation that this is in fact a live performance is grossly overstated.

It's got a lot of triplets though, so I'm thinking it should be a 6/8 rather than a 2/4, but I really can't be bothered to figure that one out right now. It's a Jig because it works well enough as one (as evidenced by the clapping). Perhaps I can layer a violin into it at some point.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
September 24, 2018 5:43 am

A convincing simulacrum, to be sure. I had believed there was a performance at the tavern down the lane until you had beneficently lifted the wool from my ears!!

September 24, 2018 5:46 am

Nice!!! This got some nice Sponge Bob vibe to it... I love the pseudo-live concept here.

September 24, 2018 6:46 am

I feel I should be drinking in a wooden pub, and not sipping coffee with headphones.. but I like it! the handclaps really sound 'live'

September 24, 2018 7:27 am
gpsychosis wrote:

A convincing simulacrum, to be sure. I had believed there was a performance at the tavern down the lane until you had beneficently lifted the wool from my ears!!


You're most welcome.

Ashen Simian wrote:

Nice!!! This got some nice Sponge Bob vibe to it... I love the pseudo-live concept here.


Yea, it's got a nice feel to it for sure.

alonemusic wrote:

I feel I should be drinking in a wooden pub, and not sipping coffee with headphones.. but I like it! the handclaps really sound 'live'


That may be because I didn't record them on my phone, but on my PC's microphone, which is a whole lot better it seems.

September 24, 2018 3:16 pm

Very old-timey and "authentic.". Your musical range is impressive.

September 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Yep!  Authentically a jig for sure!  It's fun!

September 24, 2018 4:26 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

Very old-timey and "authentic.". Your musical range is impressive.

I like to expand and vary for WeeklyBeats. It's a great creative outlet and as a platform it allows for it. Like I don't have to be consistent.

LydiaPrimate wrote:

Yep!  Authentically a jig for sure!  It's fun!

Certified jig.

September 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Sweet jig, would do well as a sea shanty methinks big_smile The air is quite catchy, it will remain with me for the rest of the afternoon and keep me company smile

September 25, 2018 12:31 pm

i was thinking sea shanty as well! i could almost smell the salt in the air...
why's the rum always gone, though?

September 25, 2018 8:58 pm

Title: Live Show
Description: THIS IS NOT A LIVE SHOW

Fun tune!

September 25, 2018 11:08 pm

Merry sailor aesthetic FTW!

September 28, 2018 8:04 pm

A delightful jig indeed.  I, too, have used that handclap trick before.  You've done it most effectively here.  The illusion is solid.  Also the melodica is somehow the perfect instrument for this type of track.

September 30, 2018 11:23 am
Gab Manette wrote:

Sweet jig, would do well as a sea shanty methinks big_smile The air is quite catchy, it will remain with me for the rest of the afternoon and keep me company smile

It's a salty air, the breezy winds of the sea.

frostyjr2 wrote:

i was thinking sea shanty as well! i could almost smell the salt in the air...
why's the rum always gone, though?

Something about turtles.

orangedrink wrote:

Title: Live Show
Description: THIS IS NOT A LIVE SHOW

Fun tune!

I'm sure it can be performed live one way or the other, but what's in a name.

Guabágeuse wrote:

Merry sailor aesthetic FTW!

Just a week late for Talk Like A Pirate Day, too.

CosmicCairns wrote:

A delightful jig indeed.  I, too, have used that handclap trick before.  You've done it most effectively here.  The illusion is solid.  Also the melodica is somehow the perfect instrument for this type of track.

It's really not that hard, you record yourself clapping 5-10 times in one go, cut the clips and line up the wave forms in different tracks. The secret sauce is introducing very slight variations in timing so one clap is slightly before the other. You can rearrange the order with just those 5 clips to get different hits (I made four in total, but changed the order after those every four hits).

It's much easier than, say, trying to record your clapping while listening to yourself clapping, but even that can be fixed in post.

And the melodica is slowly being typecast for this type of track it seems. I'm okay with this. Jigs and shanties are good fun in plenty of occasions.

October 1, 2018 2:38 pm

This was a fun listen and I'm staring at my coffee cup wishing it was a mug of autumnal mead! tongue  *multiple claps from afar*

October 1, 2018 2:47 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

This was a fun listen and I'm staring at my coffee cup wishing it was a mug of autumnal mead! tongue  *multiple claps from afar*

There's a theme I should work with.

October 1, 2018 8:27 pm

It's a jig because I'm dancing to it. I do want some rum now so it must be a pirates jig.

October 3, 2018 2:40 pm
NWSPR wrote:

It's a jig because I'm dancing to it. I do want some rum now so it must be a pirates jig.

That must be it. Though it does also feel a bit like beer.

October 8, 2018 2:07 pm
Devieus wrote:
NWSPR wrote:

It's a jig because I'm dancing to it. I do want some rum now so it must be a pirates jig.

That must be it. Though it does also feel a bit like beer.

I'll settle for grog and split the dif

October 8, 2018 5:46 pm
NWSPR wrote:
Devieus wrote:
NWSPR wrote:

It's a jig because I'm dancing to it. I do want some rum now so it must be a pirates jig.

That must be it. Though it does also feel a bit like beer.

I'll settle for grog and split the dif

Seems fair.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up