Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Devieus's music / Exercise in Harmonize

Exercise in Harmonize

By Devieus on May 11, 2018 1:14 am

I reintroduced the harmony and had to rewrite only half as much as I thought I needed. That said it still took me way too long to do it, so much so I'm going to do as little work on it as needed next time. Probably tweak the Markov chain, that'll make the biggest difference.

The harmony track, just like before, is parallel to the melody track, just a few notes lower. That's just one of three options I had. I could've had it do it in canon, or I could've let it do its own thing. Instead I chose to do this and all the better for it.

So now the ensemble is back together again, this calls for a procedurally generated celebration.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
May 14, 2018 12:42 am

Gives me the mental image of a glitched out nintendo game.  Very cool.

May 14, 2018 6:12 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

Gives me the mental image of a glitched out nintendo game.  Very cool.

I'd still play it if it was a fun enough game.

May 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Nice, solid structure.

May 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Turned out really cool

May 15, 2018 4:55 am
Jim Wood wrote:

Nice, solid structure.

It sure does sound like it does, doesn't it.

mikememo wrote:

Turned out really cool

I'm inclined to agree, it wouldn't be too far out of place in a game.

May 15, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm beginning to think that the whole "procedural generation" thing is a lie and you are just composing whilst drunk.

wink

I really like the direction the recent stuff has been going, from a tonal, rhythmic, and mixing perspective.  A+

May 15, 2018 9:52 pm
orangedrink wrote:

I'm beginning to think that the whole "procedural generation" thing is a lie and you are just composing whilst drunk.

wink

I really like the direction the recent stuff has been going, from a tonal, rhythmic, and mixing perspective.  A+

I can guarantee the composing stuff happens with a program, better yet, unlike in 2016, I'm not even choosing the instruments this time.

It really does start to sound like it's coming together nicely, every tweak so far seems to have added something significantly right.

May 15, 2018 9:58 pm

Are you familiar with the group Autechre?  They do some crazy work with algorithms and have totally blurred this man v machine level.  You're getting there!  I am excited to compare January to December of your work this year smile

May 15, 2018 10:06 pm
orangedrink wrote:

Are you familiar with the group Autechre?  They do some crazy work with algorithms and have totally blurred this man v machine level.  You're getting there!  I am excited to compare January to December of your work this year smile

You may have mentioned them before. That's not really the style I'd like to go for though.

May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

My only comparison was in methodology, not style.

May 15, 2018 10:20 pm
orangedrink wrote:

My only comparison was in methodology, not style.

Ah, like that. It's hard to say without knowing the ins and outs of their work process, but the whole generative thing is quite vast, so I suppose it's not too unusual to know of someone doing it too.

May 16, 2018 4:07 pm

It's that level where you constantly have to dodge enemy fire from every direction. Then comes that one part where you have to make a long jump and suddenly something pops randomly in front of you and you die.

May 16, 2018 9:16 pm

I always have to google what you're talking about because it's over my head.  I searched Markov chain and got a diagram that looks like a uterus or at least some parts of internal female reproductive organs.  This was not helpful at all. There is melody bouncing off of the walls trying to break bricks and escape, that's for sure. Super punch Nintendo sounds for sure.

May 17, 2018 2:09 am

What kind of platform will make music using Markov chain?
MAX?

cool tune

May 17, 2018 7:57 am
NinjaBaka wrote:

It's that level where you constantly have to dodge enemy fire from every direction. Then comes that one part where you have to make a long jump and suddenly something pops randomly in front of you and you die.

And that's just the first wave.

NWSPR wrote:

I always have to google what you're talking about because it's over my head.  I searched Markov chain and got a diagram that looks like a uterus or at least some parts of internal female reproductive organs.  This was not helpful at all. There is melody bouncing off of the walls trying to break bricks and escape, that's for sure. Super punch Nintendo sounds for sure.

You're not wrong. I have a comp-sci background so things like FSMs are part of my thing. The image doesn't show, but I know what you're talking about. I talked a little more about it in the previous song, Mr. Markov I Presume. Every circle is a state and every line represents the odds the next state will be the one the line goes to.
Imagine this diagrams where these states are US states, you randomly select California (the lowest) and according to the diagram you'd have 50% of staying in California, 25% chance of going to Nevada and 25% chance of going to Oregon (we'll skip Arizona for now). Once at the new state (or old) you decide again where to go to next until the month is out and you start over with a new chain.
The sounds are built in Macrotune.

zyuuziro wrote:

What kind of platform will make music using Markov chain?
MAX?

cool tune


Python. That's what I use anyway, I'm sure there're others using other languages.

May 19, 2018 8:05 pm

May 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm happy to hear the ensemble all together, excellent synergy! big_smile

May 20, 2018 1:11 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

Wobbly.

Gab Manette wrote:

I'm happy to hear the ensemble all together, excellent synergy! big_smile

It certainly took long enough, that's for sure. So now the real fun can begin.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up