Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Diving In

By Devieus on January 2, 2018 12:28 am

Last time I used Python to make a procedural music generator and did some minor tweaks to it. This time I used Python to make a procedural music generator and did some minor tweaks to it.

The difference is this time I'm using MML instead of ABC notation, and also I'm using a different mixing program that I probably won't be using too much (MAGIX Video Sound Cleaning Lab) to create all the funny changes.

It's sort of music this time, and I've got a lot more things I want to dive deeper in.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
January 8, 2018 4:35 am

Oh man, I really like all of the instrumentation you have here!  So what is making the actual sounds?  I'm assuming your Python program picks all the notes and times and something else makes the sound?  Also good track length.  Great start to 2018!

January 8, 2018 6:39 am
orangedrink wrote:

Oh man, I really like all of the instrumentation you have here!  So what is making the actual sounds?  I'm assuming your Python program picks all the notes and times and something else makes the sound?  Also good track length.  Great start to 2018!

This week it's a program called Macrotune, it has 6 instruments including one noise that's only on the first channel out of four. It's a very simple program and easy to work with if you find working with MML easy.

January 8, 2018 6:46 am

Wow, I'll have to investigate this further.  Just took a quick look and it seems pretty easy (like you said!)

January 8, 2018 6:49 pm

This is a fascinating listen, given the "I'm a computer" aspect of its composition. I look forward to future experiments!

January 10, 2018 1:40 am

nice tones! 

here we go!

January 10, 2018 4:21 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

nice tones! 

here we go!


The finest I can provide.

Maybe not as such, but at least the finest my program can provide.

January 21, 2018 12:45 am

I think this is taking your generative sketches forward. I still remember your sketches from 2016 and how they were evolving from week 1 till the end of the year.

Any plans of using Supercollider or any other tools, added to your Python arsenal?

Welcome back in 2018, BTW !!!

January 21, 2018 8:18 am
laguna wrote:

I think this is taking your generative sketches forward. I still remember your sketches from 2016 and how they were evolving from week 1 till the end of the year.

Any plans of using Supercollider or any other tools, added to your Python arsenal?

Welcome back in 2018, BTW !!!


Once I can wrap my head around how to use supercollider, I might give it a shot. As it is now, I'm going to try making the composing part better with improved music theories and a few less variables, for instance I'm only going to use the C major scale for the time being, and limit myself to the four tracks the program provides.

January 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Nice experimental stuff here.
I Like the reverb comming in as developement of an "Diving in"

January 29, 2018 12:31 am

February 16, 2018 8:08 am

Nice Analog smile

August 15, 2018 4:22 am

could you be persuaded to share your python code as well? no worries.

August 16, 2018 4:04 pm
freemedia wrote:

could you be persuaded to share your python code as well? no worries.


Sure, I'll put a link in my profile.

August 18, 2018 7:54 am

thanks very much!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up