WeeklyBeats.com / Music / cTrix's music / Subbed Out Future Bass (Live Korg Volca Sample Jam)

Subbed Out Future Bass (Live Korg Volca Sample Jam)

By cTrix on January 18, 2018 5:23 pm

I got a Volca Sample off ebay for cheap... and to be honest, it's why I bought the Elektron!   This box is so close to being a great unit but... only 8 x 4 bar patterns of memory... KORG ARE YOU SERIOUS?!  I thought it was 8x8 banks and still considered that stingy.  Anyway... inputting notes is virtually impossible, so you are left to try and tune notes with a single atonal tuning knob - and it interpolates by default which I find amusing - but with a bit of chance and playing around, you can get little sequences that sound ok. Oh, and mine has a fault so you can't upload your own samples; so I decided to do what I could with the factory presets.

Anyway - this is more of a tech jam than anything too serious.  It's mostly sub bass, so good luck if you have laptop sound :-P

January 22, 2018 12:11 am

u the king of samplers and dance big_smile

love seeing you do such awesome stuff with little simple gear!

January 22, 2018 1:23 am

I don't understand what is happening in this vid but I like it anyway big_smile

January 22, 2018 2:27 am

nice useing gadget

January 22, 2018 2:32 am

i got one, never got this awesome stuff out of it. This kicks ass, maestro!!

January 22, 2018 2:51 am

super cool use of the volca!

January 22, 2018 5:46 am

I'm happy I connected my laptop to my stereo for this track! Nice work, you are on a roll!

January 22, 2018 4:22 pm
Wisefire wrote:

i got one, never got this awesome stuff out of it. This kicks ass, maestro!!

This is frankly one of the best jams I've ever seen on the Volca. Quite amazing usage. I've got one and it's been several times I've been very close to getting rid of mine. Never got my head around it... Your work is indeed really inspiring. I'll definetely sit down with it and finally try to do something serious with it.

Awesome as usual

January 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Despite your negative comments, still sounds pretty cool. All credit to you, though.

January 23, 2018 5:07 am

This sounds dope, imagine what you could do if you could have loaded your own samples

January 23, 2018 5:10 am

Just watched the video, you have some serious skills, Korg should have you shoot there next promotional video

January 23, 2018 6:47 pm

this sounds really cool though! And I am with Jason on this: you should totally make KOrg's promovids ... YOu make me wanna buy one too now smile)

January 24, 2018 5:30 am

Excellent use of minimal gear in real time.

January 25, 2018 4:31 pm

clicked on the video expected some janky/workshoppy korg jamming but holy shit this is polished as hell. or just incredibly well performed. sounds like a legit Lone or Machinedrum track. crazy what you managed to get out of that tiny thing.

January 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Dig this subfun jam, especially that second bassline that kicks in about halfway.  Totally agree with Parallelis on the Lone feel too.  Nice work!

January 25, 2018 10:21 pm

i was considering getting a korg volca sample but i was turned away because of the points you mentioned, not to mention my fat fingers lol. way to make the most of its limitations though!  super chill.

January 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Thanks heaps for support everyone.  Recording this was really so the tracks didn't go to waste that's I'd noodled out!!

Jason Nijjer wrote:

Haha... I'd want to do some better takes, but maybe I'll send it in and try and pester them to give me a free MK2.  If only they added more pattern memory :-o

rdomain wrote:

Excellent use of minimal gear in real time.

Poke poke poke

Parallelis wrote:

clicked on the video expected some janky/workshoppy korg jamming ....... crazy what you managed to get out of that tiny thing.

I know the janky jams :-P  I was tempted to add the Volca Bass and do one of those jams, but my Volca Bass died (going to get an FM I think)

Tone Matrix wrote:

I felt I'd stuffed the first half up (wasn't in the groove) but got solid by the second half.  Cheers!  (love the Lone vibe, need to track more of the tunes)

bryface wrote:

Yeah, memory is main one.  Only 8 patterns of 4 bars!  saaaaaad face.  They will do a MK2 I hope!