Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Zygomatic Quagmire

Zygomatic Quagmire

By CosmicCairns on February 6, 2018 4:57 pm

A fun little jam that just seemed to flow effortlessly out of me.  I really like when that happens.  I mostly used electric guitar but added a little touch of synths, musical saw, and vocals.  Oh yeah and a couple little touches of kid's toys that make cool sounds.  Not too much else to say about this one, but I think it came out pretty well.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
February 12, 2018 10:09 am

Interesting vibe.

February 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Ha yeah that's cool, besides this typical you melodies the kids toys are nice i guess the voices at 2/3 of the song is one of the toys?
With musical saw you mean that you actually played a real saw???
Great jam!

February 12, 2018 7:02 pm

I love when you play the saw. I would like to know more about you and your saw. How did you find each other?

February 13, 2018 12:19 am
Devieus wrote:

Interesting vibe.

  Thanks for listening!



theGuen wrote:

Ha yeah that's cool, besides this typical you melodies the kids toys are nice i guess the voices at 2/3 of the song is one of the toys?
With musical saw you mean that you actually played a real saw???
Great jam!

  The voice is actually my voice but heavily treated with effects.  The toys are the chirping sound at the beginning and in the second verse and then the kind of crinkling sound at the very end.  And yes, it is an actual saw that was once used for cutting wood!  This is the first time I've busted it out this year, but I used it on a few tracks in 2014 and 2016 and I'm sure it will get used again this year.



Q-Rosh wrote:

I love when you play the saw. I would like to know more about you and your saw. How did you find each other?

  Thanks!  I first became interested in saws when I heard recordings that used them in the late 90's by Mercury Rev and Neutral Milk Hotel.  I thought they sounded really cool so I found a guy who specialized in making musical saws online and ordered one.  This saw was never designed to be an actual tool, it was always intended to be used for music and even came with its own carrying case.  A little bit after that I found another saw in a friend's garage.  This one actually had been a working tool, but he said I could have it so I took it home and tried it out.  It has a different voice than the first saw I got, but I think it might be even more beautiful sounding.  So it's now retired from being a tool used for hard labor and is now a full time musical instrument.  That one is actually the saw I used on this track.  I'll definitely have to use some more saw later this year.  Maybe even use both saws in a track so you can hear the difference! 

February 13, 2018 9:09 am

David Bowie meets Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band! 
Craaaaazy! smile

February 13, 2018 2:29 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

The voice is actually my voice but heavily treated with effects.  The toys are the chirping sound at the beginning and in the second verse and then the kind of crinkling sound at the very end.  And yes, it is an actual saw that was once used for cutting wood!  This is the first time I've busted it out this year, but I used it on a few tracks in 2014 and 2016 and I'm sure it will get used again this year.


Uh sorry that i have mistaken you for Optimus Prime wink
Actually hearing somebody playing a saw is really amazing. I am looking forward to the next song where you playing it...
in the meantime i poke around a bit in your songs from 2014/2016 i really couldn't remember this... i am getting old wink

February 13, 2018 4:29 pm
theGuen wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:

The voice is actually my voice but heavily treated with effects.  The toys are the chirping sound at the beginning and in the second verse and then the kind of crinkling sound at the very end.  And yes, it is an actual saw that was once used for cutting wood!  This is the first time I've busted it out this year, but I used it on a few tracks in 2014 and 2016 and I'm sure it will get used again this year.


Uh sorry that i have mistaken you for Optimus Prime wink
Actually hearing somebody playing a saw is really amazing. I am looking forward to the next song where you playing it...
in the meantime i poke around a bit in your songs from 2014/2016 i really couldn't remember this... i am getting old wink

  Here's one I found from 2014 that features the saw pretty prominently (along with cello).  I know there are some others, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.  I'd have to dig around a little in the old archives.  smile

https://weeklybeats.com/cosmiccairns/music/crashing-and-burning-in-shangri-la

February 13, 2018 4:32 pm
frostyjr2 wrote:

David Bowie meets Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band! 
Craaaaazy! smile

  Oh hey I almost missed seeing this comment.  Thank you for listening.  I will gladly take both of those comparisons!

February 13, 2018 4:44 pm

This is fantastic! I love the rocking guitars and, of course, your infamous saw! The crowd goes wild!!!

February 13, 2018 5:17 pm

You do amazing stuff with your voice. (I know I’ve told you that before... but it’s still true)

February 14, 2018 3:31 am
cfurrow wrote:

This is fantastic! I love the rocking guitars and, of course, your infamous saw! The crowd goes wild!!!

  Thanks!  Gotta love that saw.



E-dub wrote:

You do amazing stuff with your voice. (I know I’ve told you that before... but it’s still true)

  Thanks!  I think it's fun to treat my voice as just another instrument and try to mess around with it some.  And it's always nice to hear.  Tell me as many times as you'd like!

February 15, 2018 12:50 am

Super fuzz big saw! Yeah, I like this vibe - the saw is wonderful, and the trippy voice and big fuzz. Good time big song!

February 15, 2018 1:09 pm

I like the the vibe on this!

February 16, 2018 4:02 am

Really cool... colourful music, would be good to make a visual artwork to match and see what happens

February 16, 2018 2:56 pm

It's always an awesome feeling when the creativity and jam flow with ease.  It's like a jolt of inspiration! This has a nice vintage feel to it, like as if it were recorded back in the 70s.  Definitely agree with the Bowie-ish sound smile  Nice job!

February 17, 2018 10:11 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Super fuzz big saw! Yeah, I like this vibe - the saw is wonderful, and the trippy voice and big fuzz. Good time big song!

  Thanks!  Maybe I'll have to mix some more saw and fuzzy guitars at some point this year.



RawTicks wrote:

I like the the vibe on this!

  Hey thanks.  I appreciate that.



Podling wrote:

Really cool... colourful music, would be good to make a visual artwork to match and see what happens

  That's a cool idea.  I'd try that but my visual art skills are almost non-existent.  But it would be very cool to see what someone else came up with!



Tone Matrix wrote:

It's always an awesome feeling when the creativity and jam flow with ease.  It's like a jolt of inspiration! This has a nice vintage feel to it, like as if it were recorded back in the 70s.  Definitely agree with the Bowie-ish sound smile  Nice job!

  It really is the best when it flows easily.  I wish it happened like that every time.  And 70's Bowie is my favorite Bowie so I will gladly take the comparison!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up