Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Venus Flytrap Door

Venus Flytrap Door

By CosmicCairns on May 23, 2018 1:57 am

I felt like changing up the instrumentation.  Last week was an acoustic guitar based song so this week I figured it was time to pull out the electric guitars and have a little jam. I felt like it could use some vocals so I improvised some.  My first go around at it was kind of iffy, but I decided to cut that version up a little and layer it over my second go around to maybe create a little bit of a cool effect.  Hopefully.  Anyway, here's another week down.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
May 28, 2018 11:36 am

the song is so freaking crazy and wild. The guitar is haunted by the bassline and almost loses the rhythm. The vocals are fantastic. Reminds me again of Dimentia 13.

May 28, 2018 12:21 pm

I hear so much rhythmic tension between the guitar and bass, I am not sure if it is intentional or not but it really intensified this track for me.

May 28, 2018 3:15 pm

You've almost achieved escape velocity with this one!

May 28, 2018 8:26 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

the song is so freaking crazy and wild. The guitar is haunted by the bassline and almost loses the rhythm. The vocals are fantastic. Reminds me again of Dimentia 13.

  Thanks!  I remember you mentioned Dimentia 13 back in 2016.  I did listen to one of their albums after that, but perhaps need to go dive in again.



Ryan wrote:

I hear so much rhythmic tension between the guitar and bass, I am not sure if it is intentional or not but it really intensified this track for me.

  Thanks.  It's probably not entirely intentional as I try to do as few takes as possible somewhat by necessity due to the time constraints of WeeklyBeats.  I also kind of just go with what "feels" right as I'm playing rather than meticulously making sure everything is rhythmically perfect.  Plus I'm a believer in allowing imperfections to make their way into music as it allows for happy accidents and an overall more "human" feel.  So yeah, once I get a take that I'm satisfied with I tend to move on, perfect or not.  Glad to hear that approach actually adds something sometimes.



Jim Wood wrote:

You've almost achieved escape velocity with this one!

  Almost!  I'll break free entirely with one of these tracks eventually.  smile

May 29, 2018 6:59 pm

So what you're saying is, you did the same thing as per usual, but this time electric. Well, it works.

May 29, 2018 7:17 pm
Devieus wrote:

So what you're saying is, you did the same thing as per usual, but this time electric. Well, it works.

  You figured it out!  I have written the exact same song for 21 weeks in a row and performed it in exactly the same way except every now and then I change instruments.  Here's to 31 more weeks of the exact same thing!

May 29, 2018 7:22 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:
Devieus wrote:

So what you're saying is, you did the same thing as per usual, but this time electric. Well, it works.

  You figured it out!  I have written the exact same song for 21 weeks in a row and performed it in exactly the same way except every now and then I change instruments.  Here's to 31 more weeks of the exact same thing!


No fibbing now, you've been doing it more than just this year, haven't you.

May 29, 2018 7:30 pm
Devieus wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
Devieus wrote:

So what you're saying is, you did the same thing as per usual, but this time electric. Well, it works.

  You figured it out!  I have written the exact same song for 21 weeks in a row and performed it in exactly the same way except every now and then I change instruments.  Here's to 31 more weeks of the exact same thing!


No fibbing now, you've been doing it more than just this year, haven't you.

  Just this year?  Shoot.  Try since 1995 or thereabouts.  Once you come up with a musical composition you've gotta run that sucker into the ground.

May 29, 2018 7:33 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:
Devieus wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
Devieus wrote:

So what you're saying is, you did the same thing as per usual, but this time electric. Well, it works.

  You figured it out!  I have written the exact same song for 21 weeks in a row and performed it in exactly the same way except every now and then I change instruments.  Here's to 31 more weeks of the exact same thing!


No fibbing now, you've been doing it more than just this year, haven't you.

  Just this year?  Shoot.  Try since 1995 or thereabouts.  Once you come up with a musical composition you've gotta run that sucker into the ground.


Yea, you kinda do. Plus you can glue all the songs together into one big one whenever you feel like it.

May 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Fun freaky electric mayhem, nice. Now that you're doing this type song too, can't wait to hear more! wink
Plug in, turn on, make beats weekly.

May 30, 2018 7:33 am

Wild one! Especially when the second guitar comes in... But the vocals are tying this together quite well.
And the end is amazingly intense.
Well done!

May 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Love the guitar and great harmonies on guitar.  However the heck you did that ending is awesome,  great job

May 30, 2018 7:07 pm

This is super wild, great energy!  My only tweak is that I would increase the drum volume and maybe add some more compression to squish the guitars and the drum kit together.  I love how you do your slapback echo vocals.  I actually have copied that on a few of my WBs because of you smile

May 30, 2018 7:34 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Fun freaky electric mayhem, nice. Now that you're doing this type song too, can't wait to hear more! wink
Plug in, turn on, make beats weekly.

  Thanks!  I'm sure I will do some more in this vein as the year progresses.  It is fun to plug in!





theGuen wrote:

Wild one! Especially when the second guitar comes in... But the vocals are tying this together quite well.
And the end is amazingly intense.
Well done!

  Thanks!  I was thinking about just making this an instrumental but then I thought I'd throw some vocals on and see what happened.



demonzor wrote:

Love the guitar and great harmonies on guitar.  However the heck you did that ending is awesome,  great job

  Thanks.  The end was done by piling a bunch of stuff on including snippets of my vocals and some new guitar parts and adding some various effects to it all until it sounded cool to me.



orangedrink wrote:

This is super wild, great energy!  My only tweak is that I would increase the drum volume and maybe add some more compression to squish the guitars and the drum kit together.  I love how you do your slapback echo vocals.  I actually have copied that on a few of my WBs because of you smile

  Thanks for the suggestions.  I've been doing home recording for a long time now and I feel the production aspect is still a constant learning process.  Not to mention I've started using LANDR since the middle of WeeklyBeats 2016 and I feel like it adds a whole other variable into the mix.  Sometimes I think it helps a lot and sometimes it seems to make odd choices that I find difficult to "correct." Anyway it's always cool to hear that something I've done has been influential even in a small way, so thanks!

June 8, 2018 3:47 pm

A fun bassline and cool guitar licks! I dig the outro with the vox too, nice job!

June 9, 2018 12:44 am
Tone Matrix wrote:

A fun bassline and cool guitar licks! I dig the outro with the vox too, nice job!

  Thanks!  It really is fun to just knock out some bass and guitar licks once in awhile. 

June 10, 2018 10:26 pm

The guitar and bass makes for a wild ride :-)

June 11, 2018 1:21 am
Plantrain wrote:

The guitar and bass makes for a wild ride :-)

  Thanks!  Hopefully it's a wild ride worthy of Mr. Toad.  smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up