WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Probably Should Bring the Sugar

Probably Should Bring the Sugar

By CosmicCairns on March 10, 2020 1:04 am

My long-time friend-in-real-life and fellow WeaklyBeats-er cfurrow was here in town recently for work and we managed to meet up to hang out and do a little collaborating.  We started the day off making some sweet cello loops.  You can hear some of that in cfurrow's track for last week here: https://weeklybeats.com/cfurrow/music/cosmic-cello-cheat-codes

Later in the day we attempted another track, which is what you're hearing here.  This time I served more of a producer role and cfurrow performed most of the instruments, although I added a little bit of bass and synth after the fact.  We had drank a few beers by this point and were definitely feeling a bit more loose.  We started out with some grungy electric guitar but then threw a curve ball into the vibe by adding some different synth sounds.  He started out with one sound and did some jamming and then later I picked out a couple more sounds and had him do some more jamming.

We also called up our good friend and singer extraordinaire Bobby Bergland and had him make a little vocal cameo over the phone.  I've got to give Bobby some major props because we just played him what we had over the phone so he could hear it and then I recorded him singing through the phone to absolutely no musical accompaniment, since I didn't want to pick that up in the microphone or create some sort of ungodly feedback.  I don't think I could sound half as good under the circumstances.

I did a little bit of chopping stuff up and moving stuff around, but I wanted to maintain some of the loose good-time party vibes.  To that end I also included some background chatter where we were talking while the tape was still rolling.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

March 16, 2020 12:32 am

Aah, that's an awesome collab big_smile It goes crazy like a good fun time would! Your friend Bobby is a wizard for sure, I'm already too shy to even record vocals so he's in a league of his own smile

March 16, 2020 1:23 am

Sweet sugar. smile .

March 16, 2020 1:59 am
Gab Manette wrote:

Yeah, when he's singing "for reals" he's absolutely amazing.  It was nice just to get a little taste of his voice on this though.

djippy wrote:

Sweet sugar. smile .

Thanks!  smile

March 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Many of my comments for the last week apply to this as well... great stuff and this harder-edged stuff seems to suit you very well, apart from the more folky stuff. That synthlike sound in the end works very well... a nice surprise.

March 17, 2020 3:55 am
Ashen Simian wrote:

Thanks!  I'm trying to stretch myself a little bit.  I do like some harder-edged stuff sometimes.

March 17, 2020 10:18 pm

this is dope!  love "I COULD TALK TO YOU GUYS ALL NIGHT"

this is awesome - we need to have a WB worldwide meetup one day

great track, great vocals, love the "horn synth" thing, that was hype

detune guitar bends at the end is my lifestyle

March 18, 2020 11:10 am
orangedrink wrote:

this is dope!  love "I COULD TALK TO YOU GUYS ALL NIGHT"

this is awesome - we need to have a WB worldwide meetup one day

great track, great vocals, love the "horn synth" thing, that was hype

detune guitar bends at the end is my lifestyle

Yeah the line about talking to you guys all night was one of the bits of chatter I picked up when we were talking while I was recording.  I didn't even realize I had recorded it until I was going back and editing this and I knew instantly I had to include it... it's one of my favorite parts of this whole track for sure.  A WB worldwide meetup would be super awesome.  The logistics of making it happen would probably be difficult but it would be way cool to put some faces to some names and maybe have a killer jam session.

March 18, 2020 5:08 pm

You are a very good team. This is a nice jamming. Love the grungy guitar tone and the clavinet sound. I wish you could have added some more vocals. The sweet sugar part is my favorite for sure. well done.

March 18, 2020 8:12 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

Bobby's vocals are always something special, even over the phone.  Maybe I should have looped them to give a little more time to the vocals.

March 19, 2020 6:45 am

Sweet, sweet sounds.

March 19, 2020 6:45 pm
Devieus wrote:

Sweet, sweet sounds.

Thanks.  Hope you're staying safe out there!

March 20, 2020 3:49 pm

Really cool back story to this track and a super creative idea to record his vocals over the phone.  No need for a phone preset effect tongue Nice guitar tones with those clavi-keys at the end too.

March 20, 2020 8:45 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

It would have been better to have him in person, but over the phone worked in a pinch.  And as you said, no preset effect required!

March 22, 2020 8:03 pm

smile Nice Party Vibe with this guitar riff.
I think the sound of the your friend singing fit's the track very good.
Lovely work!

March 22, 2020 9:05 pm
theGuen wrote:

smile Nice Party Vibe with this guitar riff.
I think the sound of the your friend singing fit's the track very good.
Lovely work!

Thanks!  I don't get the opportunity to collaborate too often, but it's always fun when I do.

March 22, 2020 11:40 pm

Love those guitar bites and bends. Cool synths as well.  Bobby nailed it!  if he ever gets thrown in jail, he knows he can use his one phone call to get a Weekly Beat in.

March 23, 2020 1:33 am
NWSPR wrote:

That would most definitely be a good usage of his phone call.

March 26, 2020 11:11 pm

A wonderful collaboration in a time of social distancing

March 27, 2020 11:17 am
Ryan wrote:

A wonderful collaboration in a time of social distancing

The collaboration portion of this was actually done before all the social distancing stuff started, but it does make me think maybe I should try to do some more over-the-phone collaborating now that social distancing is in full effect.  Thanks for listening!

March 29, 2020 3:26 pm

sweet!

March 30, 2020 12:03 am
kaedo sevaada wrote:

sweet!

Thanks!

April 11, 2020 2:10 am

smile this was so much fun. smile

April 12, 2020 8:07 pm
cfurrow wrote:

smile this was so much fun. smile

It was really fun to make and I think it came out pretty cool, too.  We'll have to do it again sometime, if there's ever an end to the quarantines.