Weeklybeats 2020 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 7,500 music compositions by over 300 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Petrichor

By CosmicCairns on October 14, 2020 1:06 am

I was filling up my car at the gas station recently and it was one of those new-fangled pumps that plays videos at you.  For some reason it decided to show me a word of the day and I learned that petrichor was the name of the pleasant, earthy smell after it rains.  I think I might have actually heard that word before, but it reminded me that I like the way it smells after rain and it would be a good topic for a song.  There's some guitars and some bass and some synths and vocals on this one.  There's also a cameo from a super chatty bird that was hanging out in the fig tree outside my window the other day. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just after the rain stopped falling I made my way outside
Rich and earthy scent filled the air stopped me in mid-stride
Dancing around the puddles as they reflect the world back up at me
I'm getting wet from water still dripping down from all the leaves in the trees
Off in the distance there's still grey clouds looming
But they're floating away where they'll go I can't say
But they're gone for today and the world's coming back to life
Full of new energy

Blue skies are arriving now and I can see the sun
Water all around me but all the turbulence is done
There's nothing like the feeling after a strong and cleansing rainstorm has come
Birds re-emerge and start to call out and sing their complex warbling songs
I hear the echo of a faint thunderclap
But it's just rolling away leaving radiant sunrays
Everything is okay and the world's being born again
Refreshed and clean again

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
October 19, 2020 12:35 am

I love how flowy and free your vocals are; they're such a good fit for your instruments, which always strike me with the same quality. smile

October 19, 2020 2:16 am
hent03 wrote:

I love how flowy and free your vocals are; they're such a good fit for your instruments, which always strike me with the same quality. smile

Thanks!  I guess it makes sense that one might approach vocals and instruments from a similar place.  Vocals are just built in instruments after all.

October 19, 2020 8:52 pm

My dear CC. I knew the word before you found it out. It was something I learned from weeklybeats, when minaret_kid made a track from elements of my music and named it petrichor. Since then I stumbled over several other tracks with this name. But your song is the only real tribute to petrichor and really is beautiful.

https://weeklybeats.com/minaret_kid/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/viridianloom/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/strayce/music/smoke-and-petrichor

October 19, 2020 8:55 pm

October 19, 2020 9:01 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

My dear CC. I knew the word before you found it out. It was something I learned from weeklybeats, when minaret_kid made a track from elements of my music and named it petrichor. Since then I stumbled over several other tracks with this name. But your song is the only real tribute to petrichor and really is beautiful.

https://weeklybeats.com/minaret_kid/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/viridianloom/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/strayce/music/smoke-and-petrichor

Ha ha!  That's funny.  Here I was thinking I had found some obscure word to write a song about, but it figures the Weekly Beats crew is all over it already.  I suppose there are only so many song titles out there and there are bound to be duplicates.  I'll have to check out some of these other petrichors, since you were so kind to provide the links.

October 19, 2020 9:08 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:
Q-Rosh wrote:

My dear CC. I knew the word before you found it out. It was something I learned from weeklybeats, when minaret_kid made a track from elements of my music and named it petrichor. Since then I stumbled over several other tracks with this name. But your song is the only real tribute to petrichor and really is beautiful.

https://weeklybeats.com/minaret_kid/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/viridianloom/music/petrichor
https://weeklybeats.com/strayce/music/smoke-and-petrichor

Ha ha!  That's funny.  Here I was thinking I had found some obscure word to write a song about, but it figures the Weekly Beats crew is all over it already.  I suppose there are only so many song titles out there and there are bound to be duplicates.  I'll have to check out some of these other petrichors, since you were so kind to provide the links.


cheers!!

October 20, 2020 2:35 am

Awesome man, cool tune.  Love that you did the vocal double thing again where the takes are hard panned to the sides.  Gives it a really cool effect and really grabs your attention.  Nice use of the bird too, fits well with the track. 

October 20, 2020 3:47 am

Great! ahh petrichor.... may I add....
https://weeklybeats.com/%2ad%2ai%2aa%2ag%2ao%2an%2aa%2al%2a/music/dulcet-the-broodness

October 20, 2020 10:09 am

very laidback and soothing... the birdsound is a nice touch. Well done smile

October 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Ha nice I didn't realize the meaning behind the word.  I first heard of it from the comic "Saga" which I highly recommend.  It's like Star Wars with a bit of an R rating.
Nice guitar chord progression throughout and cool lyrics too.  Another cool guitar solo too.  Nice work!

October 20, 2020 7:49 pm
Chrisfoo wrote:

Awesome man, cool tune.  Love that you did the vocal double thing again where the takes are hard panned to the sides.  Gives it a really cool effect and really grabs your attention.  Nice use of the bird too, fits well with the track.

Thanks!  I do like playing around with double tracking and panning.  Especially on vocals.  I feel like it makes them feel a bit more "filled out."



fetalface wrote:

Great! ahh petrichor.... may I add....
https://weeklybeats.com/%2ad%2ai%2aa%2ag%2ao%2an%2aa%2al%2a/music/dulcet-the-broodness

Thanks!  It's kind of fun to get links to older Weekly Beats tracks actually.



Ashen Simian wrote:

very laidback and soothing... the birdsound is a nice touch. Well done smile

The bird was a happy accident.  A couple days before I recorded the track I was making several trips in and out of the house to bring in groceries and the whole time I kept hearing this bird just chattering away in the tree.  So I pulled out my phone and got like a minute and a half long sample of him.  I could have gotten an even longer one, he was really talkative, but my arm started getting tired since I was holding it up over my head to get it as close to the bird as possible.  Then when I was recording this song a couple days later it occurred to me I had this cool bird sample and this might be a good time to use it.



Tone Matrix wrote:

Ha nice I didn't realize the meaning behind the word.  I first heard of it from the comic "Saga" which I highly recommend.  It's like Star Wars with a bit of an R rating.
Nice guitar chord progression throughout and cool lyrics too.  Another cool guitar solo too.  Nice work!

I've read several of the trade paperbacks of Saga (someone recommended it to me a few years ago) and I liked it quite a bit.  But you've reminded me, I don't think I finished it.  I read up to what was released at the time, but I bet there's been more since then.  So thanks!  I need to figure out where I was and get back into it.  (I don't remember petrichor being in it, but it wouldn't surprise me.  It would actually be a really cool name for a sci-fi character or a planet or something.)

October 20, 2020 8:15 pm

There's a very nice smell to this song too.

October 20, 2020 8:47 pm
Devieus wrote:

There's a very nice smell to this song too.

Oh yeah.  That's all the axe body spray I drenched it in during the mixing process.  smile

October 21, 2020 7:22 am

Could be, the level of high school is definitely there.

October 22, 2020 8:57 am

Yeah Petrichor seems a trendy title on Weekly beats. smile

The vocals always remind me of Billy Corgan. I like the atmosphere of this track, it sounds like Autumn.

October 22, 2020 6:27 pm

Good feeling track, like how it shuffles along. The bird is nice. A fitting autumn track. Glad I learned that word. I knew the character from Saga as memtioned above, but didn't know meaning of word until today really. Cheers to good tunes and learning things!

October 22, 2020 6:55 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:

Yeah Petrichor seems a trendy title on Weekly beats. smile

The vocals always remind me of Billy Corgan. I like the atmosphere of this track, it sounds like Autumn.

It would actually be kind of interesting if everyone intentionally did a track with the same title sometime.  It would be fun to see how many different ways it could be interpreted.



miraclemiles wrote:

Good feeling track, like how it shuffles along. The bird is nice. A fitting autumn track. Glad I learned that word. I knew the character from Saga as memtioned above, but didn't know meaning of word until today really. Cheers to good tunes and learning things!

I had to look up the character in Saga and I think I remember her from the picture, but I also think my memory is kind of bad.  Actually I know my memory is pretty bad when it comes to stuff like that.  Maybe I need to re-read it from the start.  I do remember that I liked it.

October 25, 2020 10:12 pm

Never heard the word before but makes for a good song theme. Awesome bird accompaniment is on point. I can picture the bird enjoying the sun after the rain has passed.

I like the idea of everyone working with the same song title.  You could assign us all a title and see how many different takes on the same word is produced across WB.

October 25, 2020 11:51 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Never heard the word before but makes for a good song theme. Awesome bird accompaniment is on point. I can picture the bird enjoying the sun after the rain has passed.

I like the idea of everyone working with the same song title.  You could assign us all a title and see how many different takes on the same word is produced across WB.

It might be difficult to coordinate, but it would definitely be fun.  I bet there would be a lot of really different stuff.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up