WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Light From the Other Side of the Universe

Light From the Other Side of the Universe

By CosmicCairns on September 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Sometimes I use the little recorder on my phone as a sort of notebook when I have an idea I want to remember later, but I'm out and about somewhere and can't do anything with it at the moment.  I had hummed this vaguely Middle Eastern sounding thing into my phone several months ago and forgot about it until recently when I was listening to some of the little notebook ideas I've made.  So I took that and did a little jam out on it.  I also finally got to use this tiny little hippie drum-on-a-stick thing you twirl around that I bought in a little shop on Haight Street when I was visiting San Francisco about a year ago. This seemed like the track that could use that sort of percussion.  I also did a little "fake" chanting where I'm just kind of singing some gibberish, because it seemed to fit also.  I don't really have too much more to say about this one.  It was fun!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

September 21, 2020 12:44 am

What did you use for the "Sitar" sound? Nice track.

September 21, 2020 12:53 am
djippy wrote:

What did you use for the "Sitar" sound? Nice track.

Thanks!  It's all guitars.  Some acoustic and some electric.  It was my best impression of a sitar feeling.

September 21, 2020 2:15 am

Reading the line "hippie drum-on-a-stick thing you twirl around" made me laugh out loud. Dig the track, man. Love the sound of the guitars.

September 21, 2020 3:37 am

Pretty trippy man, I like it.  I love the delayed panning, its making the guitar sound awesome.

September 21, 2020 5:23 am

I’m glad you brought this idea to life! Sweet sounds, and nice touch with the buzzing at the end.

September 21, 2020 8:08 am
hent03 wrote:

There's probably a name for that style of drum, but I don't know what it is so I just tried to describe it.  smile

Chrisfoo wrote:

Thanks!  It just seemed like a good effect for this one.

Mission Crossing wrote:

The buzzing was kind of a last minute addition, but I thought it needed a little something something at the end.  Glad to hear it works!

September 21, 2020 6:42 pm

A shining song.

September 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Haha. Great explanation of the hippie drum. You bring percussive sounds to your tracks that I would never think to use. Another great track. At the end, is that you finger tapping the drum?

September 22, 2020 1:29 am

ah that was good, gimme hippie middle easter music any time, any day. That was fun, good range of instruments. The only thing that'd be nice would be to turn it into a 3h jam instead of 3 minutes. People might die in the process but art demands commitment.

September 22, 2020 2:40 pm
Devieus wrote:

A shining song.

Thanks!

Anon_Buster wrote:

I hand hit a popcorn tin at the very end as the track exceeded the lengthy of hippie drum I had laid down and I thought that part could use some sort of different percussion.

Kedbreak136 wrote:

3 hours of this would either be really exhausting or really transcendental or possibly both.  Thanks for listening!

September 22, 2020 8:53 pm

i'm tripping...

September 22, 2020 10:41 pm
Machine Gun Ibiza wrote:

i'm tripping...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I sprinkled the whole thing with LSD.  Should have included a disclaimer.  Sorry about that.  smile

But seriously, thanks for listening!

September 23, 2020 2:14 pm

You could not find a better title for this track. It represents a transcendental trip to the cosmic satori. Absolute freeky. Respect.

September 23, 2020 7:59 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

Thanks!  I think I just got in that zone for this one.

September 25, 2020 4:33 pm

The guitars sound really good especially for that sitar feel you were going for.  The hippie twirly drum gave it a nice constant pace that by the end with the chanting took it into another universe smile

September 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Hippy drum on a stick!! I knew exactly what you meant. It sounds good in this, I used to have one, never really used. All of this sounds good. I'm in a good space with this. Transports me to 60's Haight street ... as we tune in turn on and expand our minds to the other side of the universe.

September 25, 2020 9:37 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

The sitar feeling was a bit of a happy accident.  I mean, it's totally the vibe I was going for but it actually worked better than I kind of thought it was going to.  In the absence of a real sitar it worked okay at any rate.

miraclemiles wrote:

Yeah, it's probably not the kind of drum I'll use a lot, but it seemed to work perfectly here.  I bought it kind of as a souvenir, but also thinking "hey, this makes noise.  I'll probably find a way to use it eventually."

October 1, 2020 12:04 am

The hippie drum is well placed.  It adds authenticity to the very psychedelic 60s sound. The fuzzed out guitar at the end and the chanting also make it sound like the soundtrack to some tripped out film.

October 1, 2020 3:58 am
NWSPR wrote:

Thanks!  I've been waiting for the right time to use that drum for a while now.  As soon as I played the opening guitar line I knew this was the one.