Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Kansas... Kind Of

Kansas... Kind Of

By CosmicCairns on April 15, 2020 4:14 am

I was thinking about the famous phrase from Wizard of Oz about not being in Kansas anymore and how it's become a metaphor for finding yourself in an unfamiliar situation.  You don't even have to actually live in Kansas to say it.  So I got to thinking about situations that are kind of familiar but a little bit different.  Like maybe you're in a familiar place but something's a little off.  And then I started thinking about it from the other direction, like maybe things are off, but there's something a little familiar, too.  Kind of like when you're driving home from a long road trip and and you're starting to get close.  The landscape is starting to look familiar, but it's still not like things you see every day.  To use the Kansas metaphor, it's like you're just across the state line in Nebraska and things are sort of looking a little Kansas-esque, but it's not the Kansas you know.  Like there are cornfields and they look similar to the cornfields in your back yard, but they're not those cornfields. 

I don't know... it made sense at the time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Got dragged out of Kansas one time
Carried by the wind somewhere so far away to some other place
I lost all sense of normal back then
Spent too many years just sitting on the fence 'cause nothing made sense
No matter how I twisted my mind up

Got tempted by a devil one time
Tried to buy me off with many shiny things and a pair of wings
Finally decided I'd hit the road
No thanks, Mr. Devil that's just not for me got somewhere to be
So I got back on my feet and I walked

This almost looks like Kansas again
Maybe kind of sort of but got a long way to go I'm still far from home
Never thought I'd see Kansas again
This seems kind of similar but I'm not there yet and I won't forget
No matter how I twisted up my mind

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
April 20, 2020 4:14 pm

How many people take a wrong turn at Albuquerque these days.

The midwest at large is basically one big hole on the map for just about anyone in the EU. One that doesn't exactly stop at the edges of the midwest region.

Great song, it's got you all over.

April 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Wow, that bridge in the middle sounds lofty! Lot's of great new sounds like that percussion and some different guitar tone on that main riff. You got some beautiful harmonies. After reading the description, your song evokes images of speeding through wheat fields on a road trip far from home. Nice work! 

April 20, 2020 7:02 pm
Devieus wrote:

How many people take a wrong turn at Albuquerque these days.

The midwest at large is basically one big hole on the map for just about anyone in the EU. One that doesn't exactly stop at the edges of the midwest region.

Great song, it's got you all over.

I've never lived in Kansas, but I did go to school for a few years in the non-Chicago part of Illinois, so I do have some familiarity with the Midwest.  I will say most cornfields are fairly indistinguishable, but the little town I was in had its own feel.  Or at least it did once you got to know it.  There was another little town a few miles over that had similar architecture and was built with the same style of brick, but I could tell instantly it wasn't my little town.  Someone passing through who had never seen either one probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart though. 

I actually didn't meant to necessarily make this Midwest specific though.  I think that familiar-but-not feeling could apply anywhere.  Kansas just seemed like an easy reference point because of the Wizard of Oz.



NWSPR wrote:

Wow, that bridge in the middle sounds lofty! Lot's of great new sounds like that percussion and some different guitar tone on that main riff. You got some beautiful harmonies. After reading the description, your song evokes images of speeding through wheat fields on a road trip far from home. Nice work!

  Thanks!  The bridge part was fun to play.  And the main riff is actually played on bass.  But yeah, I'm trying to bring in some new sounds sometimes.

April 21, 2020 12:12 am

A great CC song! Nice story you tell, a fun listen. I like that bridge too. You capture that kinda sorta lost and long way to go feeling well. Been there on those long journeys. Always nice to have some good music like this in the car to carry you along.

April 21, 2020 8:44 am

Real early psychedelic vibe to this which I dig.

April 21, 2020 10:50 am

Liked this one a lot, it is a very warm and comfy ride start to end.

April 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Your voice fits this perfectly. The middle section is beautiful.

April 21, 2020 1:58 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

NWSPR wrote:

Wow, that bridge in the middle sounds lofty! Lot's of great new sounds like that percussion and some different guitar tone on that main riff. You got some beautiful harmonies. After reading the description, your song evokes images of speeding through wheat fields on a road trip far from home. Nice work!

  Thanks!  The bridge part was fun to play.  And the main riff is actually played on bass.  But yeah, I'm trying to bring in some new sounds sometimes.


Yeah, I thought that might be bass.  It has a really cool buzzy midrange sound and heft to it. 

April 21, 2020 4:44 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

A great CC song! Nice story you tell, a fun listen. I like that bridge too. You capture that kinda sorta lost and long way to go feeling well. Been there on those long journeys. Always nice to have some good music like this in the car to carry you along.

  Yeah, there's always a place for road music.  Thanks!



rdomain wrote:

Real early psychedelic vibe to this which I dig.

  Cool!  Always love a bit of psychedelia.



Ryan wrote:

Liked this one a lot, it is a very warm and comfy ride start to end.

  Thanks!  Warm and comfy's always good.



Jokinen wrote:

Your voice fits this perfectly. The middle section is beautiful.

Thanks!  I like that middle section, too.



NWSPR wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:

NWSPR wrote:

Wow, that bridge in the middle sounds lofty! Lot's of great new sounds like that percussion and some different guitar tone on that main riff. You got some beautiful harmonies. After reading the description, your song evokes images of speeding through wheat fields on a road trip far from home. Nice work!

  Thanks!  The bridge part was fun to play.  And the main riff is actually played on bass.  But yeah, I'm trying to bring in some new sounds sometimes.


Yeah, I thought that might be bass.  It has a really cool buzzy midrange sound and heft to it.

  I ran it through my effects pedal and got a bit of a different sound than normal.  It's definitely fun to use the bass as a lead sometimes.

April 22, 2020 2:06 am

I love the mood of this. It’s reassuring and calming but also melancholic.

April 22, 2020 11:30 pm
cfurrow wrote:

I love the mood of this. It’s reassuring and calming but also melancholic.

  Thanks!  It's good to get those mix of feelings sometimes.  Hope things are good for you!

April 23, 2020 7:58 am

the bass (?) drives track in a fine fashion...has also some bluesy feeling. The lyrics are actually quite philosophical smile  Great stuff! The mid part with the solo is gorgeus and has a very striking effect when it comes on. Also the harmony vocals are a great idea!

April 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Super catchy vocal melody and sweet guitar solo toward the end.

April 23, 2020 6:39 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

the bass (?) drives track in a fine fashion...has also some bluesy feeling. The lyrics are actually quite philosophical smile  Great stuff! The mid part with the solo is gorgeus and has a very striking effect when it comes on. Also the harmony vocals are a great idea!

Yeah, it's a bass.  Thanks about the lyrics.  I was just kind of following a stray thought I'd had.  I wasn't sure if it was actually leading anywhere or not, although I suppose it's okay if it doesn't.



Tone Matrix wrote:

Super catchy vocal melody and sweet guitar solo toward the end.

  Thanks!  I knew from the get-go I wanted to end on a guitar solo, although I didn't know what it was going to be until I got there.

April 28, 2020 3:44 am

really great example of micro macro - we are not in kansas anymore are we toto?

April 28, 2020 4:59 am

Man, your thought process for song writing is great.  Finding an idea for a topic to write a whole song on can be tough, but I like how your found one and worked it from multiple angles.  Very cool stuff.

April 28, 2020 1:29 pm

Such a beautiful singer songwriter piece of music. Have to study they lyrics. Your voice fits perfectly.

April 28, 2020 9:07 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

really great example of micro macro - we are not in kansas anymore are we toto?

  Definitely not in Kansas.



Chrisfoo wrote:

Man, your thought process for song writing is great.  Finding an idea for a topic to write a whole song on can be tough, but I like how your found one and worked it from multiple angles.  Very cool stuff.

  Thanks!  It definitely can be tough to find topics for songs, especially since I've been trying to mostly steer clear of love songs, since that topic feels reeeeeeally well-worn.





Q-Rosh wrote:

Such a beautiful singer songwriter piece of music. Have to study they lyrics. Your voice fits perfectly.

  I've been posting some lyrics on some songs lately, but it just kind of depends.  Given the nature of Weekly Beats I often have to come up with lyrics pretty fast and I'm not always sure how I feel about them.  There's been lots of times later on when I listen back and think I should change something.  But I actually like the lyrics to this one okay.  I'll go back and post them if you want to be able to read them.

April 29, 2020 5:47 am
CosmicCairns wrote:
kaedo sevaada wrote:

really great example of micro macro - we are not in kansas anymore are we toto?

  Definitely not in Kansas.



Chrisfoo wrote:

Man, your thought process for song writing is great.  Finding an idea for a topic to write a whole song on can be tough, but I like how your found one and worked it from multiple angles.  Very cool stuff.

  Thanks!  It definitely can be tough to find topics for songs, especially since I've been trying to mostly steer clear of love songs, since that topic feels reeeeeeally well-worn.





Q-Rosh wrote:

Such a beautiful singer songwriter piece of music. Have to study they lyrics. Your voice fits perfectly.

  I've been posting some lyrics on some songs lately, but it just kind of depends.  Given the nature of Weekly Beats I often have to come up with lyrics pretty fast and I'm not always sure how I feel about them.  There's been lots of times later on when I listen back and think I should change something.  But I actually like the lyrics to this one okay.  I'll go back and post them if you want to be able to read them.

now I got it!! Thanks

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up