Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Jealous of Birds

Jealous of Birds

By CosmicCairns on April 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Sometimes I just want to fly away from everything.  This was an idea I've been mulling over for a little while now, but it seemed extra appropriate in the time of quarantines.  There's a lot of little details in this one, but my favorite involves a discovery I made about an art object in my house.  My girlfriend has had this little carving of a toucan for years.  I'm not sure how long she's had it actually.  Since before I met her.  It's been here the entire time I've lived in this house and I always thought it was just a cool looking sculpture.  But then the other day I realized it's actually a simple flute.  It only has like 4 finger holes, but you can blow in it and make sound.  So I used that to simulate some bird noises.  Otherwise it's the usual suspects of vocals, guitars, bass, synths, etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I used to be better with words
But now I just feel absurd
When I try to explain my mind

I'm stuck here on the ground
Without much of worth to be found
I want to glide away

Is it so strange to feel so out of touch with everything?
I look straight up and try to flap imaginary wings

I'm still at a loss for words
But I think I'm jealous of birds
And how they soar through clouds

Human matters don't mean a thing
When you've always got a new song to sing
And you can float on air

Is it so strange to feel so out of touch with everyone?
I look straight up and set my sights on heading toward the sun

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
April 27, 2020 1:06 am

Intro is pretty cool smile l like those harmonized vocals. See you next week!

April 27, 2020 1:29 am
djippy wrote:

Intro is pretty cool smile l like those harmonized vocals. See you next week!

  Thanks!  I've been wanting to do some sort of vocal-layering acapella thing for a little bit, so the intro seemed like a good time to try it out.

April 27, 2020 1:59 am

Whoa. I thought the vocal thing in the beginning was gonna be the vibe for the whole song... like a singing circle type of thing. Neat track!!!

April 27, 2020 9:40 am

Wow, I loved it when the guitar started soaring through the song.

April 27, 2020 11:42 am

10/10. Well done man. You need to get together with @ChrisFoo, I think your styles would mesh so well.

April 27, 2020 7:45 pm
Modulated Drummer wrote:

Whoa. I thought the vocal thing in the beginning was gonna be the vibe for the whole song... like a singing circle type of thing. Neat track!!!

  Thanks!  Maybe at some point I will do a full track in that style, but for now I just wanted to do it as an intro.



Devieus wrote:

Wow, I loved it when the guitar started soaring through the song.

  Thanks!  It was definitely fun doing the sound design on this one.



Jokinen wrote:

10/10. Well done man. You need to get together with @ChrisFoo, I think your styles would mesh so well.

  Thanks!  I will be sure to check out his work.

April 28, 2020 3:38 am

April 28, 2020 4:51 am

Nice man, awesome song writing on this.  I like the lyrics and idea for the song a lot.  Very cool intro too, very Fleet Foxes-esque.

April 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Excellent vocal harmonies on the intro.  Interesting story behind Toucan da flute smile  and a really cool sounding fuzz guitar towards the end.

April 28, 2020 1:35 pm

Another great composition. Excellent how you make the vocal-harmonies and play those instruments. The ending is epic....

April 28, 2020 9:17 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

  They look like they're having so much fun.  I'm jealous of that, too.  smile



Chrisfoo wrote:

Nice man, awesome song writing on this.  I like the lyrics and idea for the song a lot.  Very cool intro too, very Fleet Foxes-esque.

  Thanks!  This one was fairly easy to write lyrics for because it's definitely something I've felt at various times throughout life.



Tone Matrix wrote:

Excellent vocal harmonies on the intro.  Interesting story behind Toucan da flute smile  and a really cool sounding fuzz guitar towards the end.

  I dug up my old effects pedal I bought back in 1997 for that fuzz guitar.  The pedal's definitely seen better days and can be a little wonky, but it has some great sounds.



Q-Rosh wrote:

Another great composition. Excellent how you make the vocal-harmonies and play those instruments. The ending is epic....

  Thanks!  I always try to put what I can into each song, but I did feel like I put a little extra into this one.

April 28, 2020 10:36 pm

oh man, i dont know if you've ever heard of the band "Why?", but your vocals sound right up their alley. ( in a great way!)   

nice work, really diggin this

April 28, 2020 11:10 pm
demonzor wrote:

oh man, i dont know if you've ever heard of the band "Why?", but your vocals sound right up their alley. ( in a great way!)   

nice work, really diggin this

Thanks!  I actually downloaded a couple of albums by "Why?" several years ago, but I don't think I ever got around to actually listening to them.  I still have them on my computer.  I guess I should check them out.

April 30, 2020 2:11 am

wow, this is a super epic piece- love the concept and the lyrics and the harmonies and then the big swell of instruments

hang in there heart

April 30, 2020 2:38 am
orangedrink wrote:

wow, this is a super epic piece- love the concept and the lyrics and the harmonies and then the big swell of instruments

hang in there <3

  Thanks!  I actually feel like I'm pretty lucky.  I think my life has been less disrupted by this whole pandemic situation than most people's.  My work schedule really hasn't changed at all and I have to leave the house pretty much every day to go to work.  Consequently I don't have that cabin fever or feeling of isolation that most people have.  If anything, I'd like to get away from people a bit more.  smile

May 1, 2020 4:11 pm

Woa this is cool af. I've been playing around with vocal harmony recently so I respect that intro so much haha. Love the warbling instrumentation.

May 1, 2020 8:27 pm
hieme wrote:

Woa this is cool af. I've been playing around with vocal harmony recently so I respect that intro so much haha. Love the warbling instrumentation.

  Thanks!  I always like vocal harmonies so I try to include some when I can and I'm trying to push myself to get a little more complex and have more parts.  I might have to do some more intros like that as the year progresses.

May 2, 2020 6:38 am

So cool you had a flute and never knew it! I wonder if anything in my house is a mystery musical instrument... can only hope! Kooky and kool track! Be well!

May 2, 2020 8:27 am
Podling wrote:

So cool you had a flute and never knew it! I wonder if anything in my house is a mystery musical instrument... can only hope! Kooky and kool track! Be well!

I was personally pretty stoked to make that discovery.  The girlfriend claims she knew it was a flute this whole time, but she certainly never bothered to inform me of this detail.  Now I want to start blowing on all kinds of random objects in the house in the hopes that they will produce music.  smile

May 4, 2020 7:32 pm

This is some next level tiki lounge on Venus sounds! Fun and beautiful. That fucking toucan flute is awesome! I thought it was a synth at first.  The flute sound along with your description and the song have a mystically surreal quality. Love love the second half! Great waves of guitar washing over! Well done sir, glad I didn't miss it smile

May 4, 2020 7:41 pm
NWSPR wrote:

This is some next level tiki lounge on Venus sounds! Fun and beautiful. That fucking toucan flute is awesome! I thought it was a synth at first.  The flute sound along with your description and the song have a mystically surreal quality. Love love the second half! Great waves of guitar washing over! Well done sir, glad I didn't miss it smile

Thanks!  Glad you didn't miss it either.  This is probably one of my personal favorite tracks I've done so far this year.  I felt like I put a little extra work into it.

May 4, 2020 9:38 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:
NWSPR wrote:

This is some next level tiki lounge on Venus sounds! Fun and beautiful. That fucking toucan flute is awesome! I thought it was a synth at first.  The flute sound along with your description and the song have a mystically surreal quality. Love love the second half! Great waves of guitar washing over! Well done sir, glad I didn't miss it smile

Thanks!  Glad you didn't miss it either.  This is probably one of my personal favorite tracks I've done so far this year.  I felt like I put a little extra work into it.

I would agree.  It shows and probably my favorite for the year as well.

May 7, 2020 7:31 pm

One of my faves of yours too. Nice title first off, I'm jealous of birds when they soar by sometimes. Lovely piece - great long intro, felt it could go on forever and I'd be happy. Thanks for posting the lyrics which are great. I like this one a lot:

Human matters don't mean a thing
When you've always got a new song to sing

So true!

May 8, 2020 11:27 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

One of my faves of yours too. Nice title first off, I'm jealous of birds when they soar by sometimes. Lovely piece - great long intro, felt it could go on forever and I'd be happy. Thanks for posting the lyrics which are great. I like this one a lot:

Human matters don't mean a thing
When you've always got a new song to sing

So true!

  Thanks!  I'm sometimes not 100% sure how I feel about my lyrics, especially when I've churned them out quickly as is usually the case with Weekly Beats.  Sometimes there's a line or two I'd like to change later on.  But I also always kind of liked in the old days when bands would include lyric sheets in their albums, so I thought it might be fun to post them.  At least sometimes.   

May 11, 2020 7:46 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:
miraclemiles wrote:

One of my faves of yours too. Nice title first off, I'm jealous of birds when they soar by sometimes. Lovely piece - great long intro, felt it could go on forever and I'd be happy. Thanks for posting the lyrics which are great. I like this one a lot:

Human matters don't mean a thing
When you've always got a new song to sing

So true!

  Thanks!  I'm sometimes not 100% sure how I feel about my lyrics, especially when I've churned them out quickly as is usually the case with Weekly Beats.  Sometimes there's a line or two I'd like to change later on.  But I also always kind of liked in the old days when bands would include lyric sheets in their albums, so I thought it might be fun to post them.  At least sometimes.

I loved the lyric sheets too. Sometimes its hard to understand them, or I would misunderstand them, which is fun ... so reading was nice addition. Yeah, I hear you, there's always something to change it seems like. I want to start writing more lyrics, and I'm sure it will be very hard to commit.

May 11, 2020 7:56 pm
miraclemiles wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
miraclemiles wrote:

One of my faves of yours too. Nice title first off, I'm jealous of birds when they soar by sometimes. Lovely piece - great long intro, felt it could go on forever and I'd be happy. Thanks for posting the lyrics which are great. I like this one a lot:

Human matters don't mean a thing
When you've always got a new song to sing

So true!

  Thanks!  I'm sometimes not 100% sure how I feel about my lyrics, especially when I've churned them out quickly as is usually the case with Weekly Beats.  Sometimes there's a line or two I'd like to change later on.  But I also always kind of liked in the old days when bands would include lyric sheets in their albums, so I thought it might be fun to post them.  At least sometimes.

I loved the lyric sheets too. Sometimes its hard to understand them, or I would misunderstand them, which is fun ... so reading was nice addition. Yeah, I hear you, there's always something to change it seems like. I want to start writing more lyrics, and I'm sure it will be very hard to commit.

  Yeah, lyrics are kind of putting yourself out there in a whole different way.  You have to, like, say something and what you say might be dumb or embarrassing or not very well thought out.  Sometimes you feel like you force things in there for a rhyme scheme.  I have a lot of songs from my younger days that I still like the music, but some of the lyrics are really cringe-inducing in me.  Sometimes I just go the route of not really trying to say much of anything at all and just stringing words together that sound cool to me.  Overall, I like songs with vocals so I just go ahead and do them and hope for the best.  smile

May 13, 2020 4:00 am

Really great work on the vocals beatiful setup to a nice journey

May 13, 2020 10:48 am
Ryan wrote:

Really great work on the vocals beatiful setup to a nice journey

  Thanks!  I tried to put a little "extra" on the vocals this time.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up