Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Irrational Numbers

Irrational Numbers

By CosmicCairns on August 25, 2020 8:16 pm

I was messing around on my guitar and playing with some effects when I hit on a little riff I kind of liked.  I didn't feel like developing it into an actual song at that moment, but I wanted to record a little bit of it so I wouldn't forget it later.  I was going to just stop after getting the riff recorded, but then the guitar started making some feedback sounds that were pretty cool, so I started playing around with those and got a little carried away and the next thing I knew I had a bunch of crazy guitar noise that I thought was kind of neat.  So I thought screw it, this wasn't supposed to be the track, but now it's the track.  I piled on a little more noise with some synth sounds and my toy megaphone.  Then I wondered if I should add percussion or not.  There was a decent amount of formless noise and I wasn't exactly trying to perfectly nail the part with the riff or anything because I thought it was going to just be a reference track.  Then I thought this would be a good time to try some sort of weird experiment with the percussion.  I didn't know if it would "work" or not, but it seemed to fit the general chaos that was going on in the track.  So there are two rhythms going on at the same time, one is on a long fade in and the other is on a long fade out.  So here you go.  This thing's kind of a mess, but hopefully a fun mess.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
August 31, 2020 1:05 am

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

August 31, 2020 1:46 am
djippy wrote:

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

Thanks!  I like that riff, too.  I might have to recycle it in a "real" song sometime, although I do think it sounds pretty cool with the feedback noises going on at the same time.

August 31, 2020 1:48 am

I dig that sound that comes in at about 1:50. It gives this kind of windswept vibe that is really cool.

August 31, 2020 1:57 am

Sweet feedback and chaos. I like the main guitar riff and how it drowns in a sea of noise. Enjoy riding the wave of feedback!

August 31, 2020 4:46 am

Super chaotic! Love those feedback effects, everything sounds great together. Nice work!

August 31, 2020 5:19 pm
hent03 wrote:

I dig that sound that comes in at about 1:50. It gives this kind of windswept vibe that is really cool.

That's one of the synths.  I thought some kind of cleaner texture might be nice to counterbalance some of the feedback.



Kedbreak136 wrote:

Sweet feedback and chaos. I like the main guitar riff and how it drowns in a sea of noise. Enjoy riding the wave of feedback!

Something about the effect of the noise kind of slowly taking over the riff appealed to me.



Mission Crossing wrote:

Super chaotic! Love those feedback effects, everything sounds great together. Nice work!

Thanks!  Feedback is pretty fun sometimes.

September 1, 2020 4:03 am
CosmicCairns wrote:
djippy wrote:

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

Thanks!  I like that riff, too.  I might have to recycle it in a "real" song sometime, although I do think it sounds pretty cool with the feedback noises going on at the same time.

It came back to me, not the same key but reminds me

September 1, 2020 5:11 am

This is super inspiring. I really like the second (fade out?) half. A lot. What a trip! I feel like the second half could be a new genre. RAD!

September 1, 2020 2:46 pm
djippy wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
djippy wrote:

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

Thanks!  I like that riff, too.  I might have to recycle it in a "real" song sometime, although I do think it sounds pretty cool with the feedback noises going on at the same time.

It came back to me, not the same key but reminds me

Oh yeah, that's a great song.  I wasn't thinking about it when I came up with the riff, but I can see how there's a bit of a similarity.



Modulated Drummer wrote:

This is super inspiring. I really like the second (fade out?) half. A lot. What a trip! I feel like the second half could be a new genre. RAD!

Thanks!  I was just having fun making some weird noises.

September 1, 2020 11:38 pm

Fun chaos indeed. I like riff and the chaos that comes. There's some special gremlinees in the chaos. Great call to just capture the moment.

September 2, 2020 3:22 pm

Nice use of feedback with the guitar.  Lots of chaotic ear candy in this

September 2, 2020 6:01 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Fun chaos indeed. I like riff and the chaos that comes. There's some special gremlinees in the chaos. Great call to just capture the moment.

Yeah sometimes it's better to just capture what's going on right away, polish and perfection be damned.  Perhaps this was one of those times.



Tone Matrix wrote:

Nice use of feedback with the guitar.  Lots of chaotic ear candy in this

Thanks!  That feedback was just so fun to play around with, I just couldn't help myself.

September 2, 2020 10:14 pm

"screw it; let's do it!"

that big grindy swell is really interesting

the ending reminds me of the end of NIN mr self destruct with all the guitars going crazy

September 2, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah I was just making a bunch of noise and then I did some fake shredding because, well, it was fun.

September 4, 2020 7:54 am

This is really in-your-face in a good way. Somehow this makes me think of Jimi at Woodstock! It has some of the same intensity as his version of the Star Spangled Banner. I like this very much, as I appreciate the occassional chaos as a musical form. Very energetic and unhinged!

September 4, 2020 3:25 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

This is really in-your-face in a good way. Somehow this makes me think of Jimi at Woodstock! It has some of the same intensity as his version of the Star Spangled Banner. I like this very much, as I appreciate the occassional chaos as a musical form. Very energetic and unhinged!

Yeah, I wouldn't want to listen to nothing but chaos, but every once in a while it really hits the spot for me.

September 6, 2020 8:52 am
djippy wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
djippy wrote:

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

Thanks!  I like that riff, too.  I might have to recycle it in a "real" song sometime, although I do think it sounds pretty cool with the feedback noises going on at the same time.

It came back to me, not the same key but reminds me


I took me only 1 second, to bring the riff of this pixies song into my mind. great feedback-noise orgy in here.

September 7, 2020 6:09 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:
djippy wrote:
CosmicCairns wrote:
djippy wrote:

I really like the recurring intro riff. I cannot point out which sound it reminds me, but this is a good vibe to me. Very cool crazy guitars sounds.

Thanks!  I like that riff, too.  I might have to recycle it in a "real" song sometime, although I do think it sounds pretty cool with the feedback noises going on at the same time.

It came back to me, not the same key but reminds me


I took me only 1 second, to bring the riff of this pixies song into my mind. great feedback-noise orgy in here.

I didn't notice the similarity when I was recording it, but now that it's been pointed out I definitely do.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up