Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Falling Forever

By CosmicCairns on May 19, 2020 10:30 pm

Oh man, I had a really rough week and a half or so there, but fingers crossed I think I'm through the worst of it now.  Just a lot of stress. 

I generally consider myself a positive person.  I have my ups and downs like everyone else, but I'd much rather be content and laugh at stuff than be down and complaining or worrying.  It was a little harder to avoid the latter when I was dealing with stress, but under normal circumstances my equilibrium state is being pretty chilled out and trying to make the best of things.  I've definitely gotten a bit more cynical as I've gotten older and it's hard to watch the news and not feel like the world is teetering on the edge of an abyss sometimes.  I try not to dwell too much in that mental head space, but it's where I decided to take some inspiration this week.  I actually had written down the phrase "Falling Forever" many years ago and I kept meaning to turn it into a song.  Just never got around to it.  At first I thought it would be like a "falling in love forever" song or something gooshy like that, but now it's more about like falling into a bottomless pit.

I was about halfway done recording this thing when my computer suddenly crashed.  When I went to re-open the session, Reaper kept giving me an error message and wasn't loading anything up.  I was on the verge of freaking out, but I discovered the files for all the tracks I had recorded were still saved.  I just had to start a new session and then import the tracks in and line them up manually where they were supposed to go.  It was a little tedious, but better than losing everything.  It interrupted my creative flow a little bit, but I'm overall happy with the results. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'm so tired of trying to make sense out of a senseless world
There's no laws and there's no purpose except for what we make ourselves
And is it ever a mess

And how long do you think it'll be until we sink
Into the chasms, into the holes, and into the depths we have made?

I've been staring straight into the heart of an eternal pit
There's no sides and there's no bottom, should we fling ourselves in it?
Falling forever it seems

And how long til the end of all time and all things?
Falling forever, all of us together, falling right into the void

I don't think I'll ever get just why things are the way they are
Don't know why there's pain and evil, don't know why there's moons and stars
Falling forever in dreams

And how far does this go?  Does it end?  I don't know.
Falling forever through stormy weather, falling forever again

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
May 25, 2020 2:24 am

Falling then getting up... then falling again.

Yes it is hard not become cynical with experiences, and being pissed off and angry at loads of stupid stuff. Trying to be positive here too. Trying to be kind.

Good job.

May 25, 2020 10:04 am

Dear CC. This is such an amazingly beautiful sad song. Thanks for the lyrics. I can`t imagine how you write such cool lines like "And how long do you think it'll be until we sink ..." the song is very touching and beautiful instrumentalized. Maybe one of your best guitarsolos ever in here. So much feeling.
Over all it hits my state of mood in general. Hope we find a way to stop falling deeper and deeper.
My best wishes for you and the persons you love.

May 25, 2020 10:10 am

May 25, 2020 10:54 am

Great stuff C_C. Was waiting for the trumpets and trombones to join in, would work well. Peace!

May 25, 2020 6:45 pm
djippy wrote:

Falling then getting up... then falling again.

Yes it is hard not become cynical with experiences, and being pissed off and angry at loads of stupid stuff. Trying to be positive here too. Trying to be kind.

Good job.

  I'm with you.  Trying to stay positive and kind here also.






Q-Rosh wrote:

Dear CC. This is such an amazingly beautiful sad song. Thanks for the lyrics. I can`t imagine how you write such cool lines like "And how long do you think it'll be until we sink ..." the song is very touching and beautiful instrumentalized. Maybe one of your best guitarsolos ever in here. So much feeling.
Over all it hits my state of mood in general. Hope we find a way to stop falling deeper and deeper.
My best wishes for you and the persons you love.

  Thanks!  I was doing my best to try to articulate what I was feeling.  The guitar solo falls into that, too.  Sometimes I try to kind of map them out, but this one just flowed right out of me.  Best wishes to you and yours, too!



Q-Rosh wrote:

  Also thanks for the awesome gif!  It's perfect.



Podling wrote:

Great stuff C_C. Was waiting for the trumpets and trombones to join in, would work well. Peace!

  Maybe I'll have to do another pass on this sometime and bring in the horn section.  Thanks!

May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Lyrics so deep, it'll take a fall that long. Great work.

May 26, 2020 2:47 am

The higher pitched vocals kept me here, the guitar solo sealed the deal. Great stuff

May 26, 2020 10:09 pm
Devieus wrote:

Lyrics so deep, it'll take a fall that long. Great work.

  Thanks!  Appreciate it.




danju wrote:

The higher pitched vocals kept me here, the guitar solo sealed the deal. Great stuff

Thanks!  Those higher pitched vocals were jusssst on the upper edge of my natural vocal range, so it was a little bit of a challenge for me to pull them off.  Glad to hear they worked!

May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Is that the saw?! Love the saw and cellos. Sounds great and mystical.  The title made me think of space flight and orbital free fall. I like the lyrics and your outro vocal harmonies.  Hope you have a better week and know that your music brings positivity. And just remember, It's nothing but turtles all the way down!

May 27, 2020 8:47 pm

Thanks!  No saws on this one, but there is some cello.  I'll have to do something with saw again soon.  I've got some lighter/more fun stuff in the works but sort of felt the need to get this one out of my system.  And is that why I keep stepping on turtles?

June 1, 2020 12:55 am

This is really good songwriting man, love the lyrics.  Really resonates with how I’ve been feeling lately.  Glad you were able to recover this!

June 1, 2020 2:06 am
Chrisfoo wrote:

This is really good songwriting man, love the lyrics.  Really resonates with how I’ve been feeling lately.  Glad you were able to recover this!

  Thanks!  I don't know what I would have done if I couldn't recover the song.  Probably started over again, but I don't think it would have been an enjoyable experience and the final product probably would have suffered.

June 1, 2020 9:46 am

I like the vibe of this.  Once again, a tad psychedelic to my ears.  I think it's the feeling of the instruments are close to falling apart yet they never do.

June 1, 2020 5:40 pm
rdomain wrote:

I like the vibe of this.  Once again, a tad psychedelic to my ears.  I think it's the feeling of the instruments are close to falling apart yet they never do.

Hey thanks!  I do enjoy psychedelic music so it probably slips in.  There's something to that feeling of things being about to go off the rails that I kind of like also.

June 5, 2020 1:43 pm

Really cool vocal harmonies and excellent lyrics.  Definitely feeling the vibes of this myself lately.  Great guitar solo midway as well.  Nice work!

June 5, 2020 9:18 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Really cool vocal harmonies and excellent lyrics.  Definitely feeling the vibes of this myself lately.  Great guitar solo midway as well.  Nice work!

Thanks!  I might be feeling this even more now than when I first recorded it sadly enough.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up