Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / CosmicCairns's music / Extra Costs Extra

Extra Costs Extra

By CosmicCairns on May 26, 2020 11:41 pm

Other than the beat, everything on this track was done on microkorg.  It's a fun little toy to have because it seems like I can start out with no ideas at all, pick it up, play around with its different sounds and settings, find inspiration, and come away with a decent output in a relatively short amount of time.  Which is exactly what I did this week.  Hope everyone's hanging in there.  It's nice to hear everyone's creative output in these trying times. 

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
June 1, 2020 12:47 am

It's bare bones, but I like it. No need for any fancy extras.

June 1, 2020 3:04 am

Nice man, yeah I've been eyeing a microkorg for a while now.  Love the sounds you used from it here, really cool stuff. 

June 1, 2020 9:44 am

Definitely some bottom end going on.  Super fat!

June 1, 2020 5:45 pm
Devieus wrote:

It's bare bones, but I like it. No need for any fancy extras.

  Nah.  Because then I'd have to charge and nobody needs that.



Chrisfoo wrote:

Nice man, yeah I've been eyeing a microkorg for a while now.  Love the sounds you used from it here, really cool stuff.

I'm not an expert on all the different stuff that's out there so I can't say how it compares to other equipment, but I really like it.  It has a wide variety of sounds and it's easy to manipulate them in interesting ways just by turning knobs or pushing buttons, which is always fun to do. 



rdomain wrote:

Definitely some bottom end going on.  Super fat!

  Yeah, I was pretty happy with how the bass came out on this one. 

June 1, 2020 6:16 pm

The bass sounds are massive. Fun stuff.

June 1, 2020 6:31 pm

It's crazy where you can get inspiration from sometimes. Really cool sounds in this one!

June 1, 2020 7:10 pm
djippy wrote:

The bass sounds are massive. Fun stuff.

It's nice to crank up the bass sometimes.



Mission Crossing wrote:

It's crazy where you can get inspiration from sometimes. Really cool sounds in this one!

I'll take inspiration wherever I can find it.  Thanks for listening!

June 2, 2020 3:32 am

Love this! I don't need a Mikrokorg... ... wait... yes I do... now!!!! Have a great week!

June 2, 2020 7:03 pm
Podling wrote:

Love this! I don't need a Mikrokorg... ... wait... yes I do... now!!!! Have a great week!

  Thanks!  I don't get any commission from microkorg or anything, (although maybe I should!  Hmm...)  I just think it's super fun and a good musical weapon to have in the arsenal.

June 2, 2020 10:24 pm

This is like utterly space age synthwave gold!  What's up? You trade your popcorn tin for an 808 and your saw for a Korg? Love the bass and all the funky synth melodies and glitches. This is awesome!

June 3, 2020 12:27 am

Oh yeah, some fun sounds for sure. And the right amount of bounce, sounds like fun and  I'm thinking surf for some reason, even with no guitar.

June 3, 2020 12:29 am
NWSPR wrote:

This is like utterly space age synthwave gold!  What's up? You trade your popcorn tin for an 808 and your saw for a Korg? Love the bass and all the funky synth melodies and glitches. This is awesome!

  Just trying to keep things fresh and mix things up once in awhile.  Mostly so I don't bore myself.  And don't worry, the popcorn tin is making a big-time return next week.  smile

June 3, 2020 12:35 am
miraclemiles wrote:

Oh yeah, some fun sounds for sure. And the right amount of bounce, sounds like fun and  I'm thinking surf for some reason, even with no guitar.

Oh hey, I almost missed this comment because I think it slipped in while I was replying to NWSPR.  I can kind of see the surf vibe too now that you mention it.  It might be fun to kind of attempt to recreate this with guitars at some point.

June 3, 2020 8:24 pm

Me: "Can I get a slice of pizza?"
Inconvenience Store owner: "Sure, that also comes with unlimited french fries."
Me: "Oh really?  Great!"
Store owner: *gives me one french fry*
Me: "What? I thought they were unlimited."
Store owner: "They are, you have to come back and ask for another one."
Me: ??? "Can't you put a few extra on their right now?"
Store owner: "EXTRA COSTS EXTRA"

June 3, 2020 8:25 pm

*there

June 3, 2020 8:29 pm
orangedrink wrote:

Me: "Can I get a slice of pizza?"
Inconvenience Store owner: "Sure, that also comes with unlimited french fries."
Me: "Oh really?  Great!"
Store owner: *gives me one french fry*
Me: "What? I thought they were unlimited."
Store owner: "They are, you have to come back and ask for another one."
Me: ??? "Can't you put a few extra on their right now?"
Store owner: "EXTRA COSTS EXTRA"

Aha!  Tying it back to the inconvenience store.  Everything's connected.  I like it!  And yeah, that should totally be a scene that happens there.

June 4, 2020 4:54 pm

The name microkorg ist actually inappropriate uncool for such tremendous sounds. It suits you very well.

June 4, 2020 5:02 pm
Q-Rosh wrote:

The name microkorg ist actually inappropriate uncool for such tremendous sounds. It suits you very well.

It's small in stature, but it makes up for it by being powerful in what it does.  Thanks for listening!

June 5, 2020 1:19 pm

Nice, I love the rich sound of all the korg stuff. Sounds like a ton of fun to use!

June 5, 2020 1:49 pm

Really fat bass line!  Those panned out synths compliment the bassline so well too.  I also like the drums and their roland-esque drum machine feel.

June 5, 2020 6:52 pm

This has a very nice, old fashioned synth vibe  to it. Reminds me of very old Kraftwerk, which is high praise from me smile

June 5, 2020 9:20 pm
hieme wrote:

Nice, I love the rich sound of all the korg stuff. Sounds like a ton of fun to use!

  It definitely is.  It feels like playing around more than anything and next thing I know I've got a track!



Tone Matrix wrote:

Really fat bass line!  Those panned out synths compliment the bassline so well too.  I also like the drums and their roland-esque drum machine feel.

Thanks!  The bass line was the first thing I came up with and everything else just kind of fell into place from there.



Ashen Simian wrote:

This has a very nice, old fashioned synth vibe  to it. Reminds me of very old Kraftwerk, which is high praise from me smile

I'll take that as a compliment for sure.  Kraftwerk is awesome and this kind of track probably wouldn't even be possible if it weren't for the trails they blazed.

June 7, 2020 8:34 am

You can get a nice bass with that microkorg. good job there! Cool leads on top of that.

June 7, 2020 6:32 pm
Kedbreak136 wrote:

You can get a nice bass with that microkorg. good job there! Cool leads on top of that.

Thanks!  Yeah, I'm actually impressed with how the bass sounds come out of the microkorg.  It sounds much bigger than you'd expect by looking at it.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up