Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Black Wight

By CosmicCairns on October 17, 2018 1:08 am

I recently read a fantasy book where there was a passage about an old tower haunted by wights who were described as dark and shadowy.  So I thought in other words they're black wights, which I thought was kind of funny because of the whole wordplay thing. 

I originally intended to build this around some sort of bass riff, but as I was playing around with the effects pedal looking for a good effect I noticed it sounded cool when I strummed the bass and flipped rapidly through different effects.  I thought to myself I ought to record THAT.  So instead this became sort of an extended noise jam.  Hope you all have an awesome week weeklybeating it up.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial (BY-NC)

  • Play
  • Download
October 22, 2018 1:20 am

The best things come about when you're "messing around." Unless, of course, you inadvertently summon a bunch of black wights.

October 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Whoa, what a trip! Title fits to a T, well done!

October 23, 2018 8:09 pm

I really like the bpm of the hi hats here.  Getting into black metal kind of territory + jam sound design.  Love it.

October 23, 2018 9:28 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

The best things come about when you're "messing around." Unless, of course, you inadvertently summon a bunch of black wights.

  I agree.  A lot of my favorite things I've done over the years have happened by accident and sometimes I have no idea later on what the heck I did.  But yeah, that's definitely how you end up summoning monsters and demons.



Gab Manette wrote:

Whoa, what a trip! Title fits to a T, well done!

  Thanks!  It felt like a good Halloween type of jam.



orangedrink wrote:

I really like the bpm of the hi hats here.  Getting into black metal kind of territory + jam sound design.  Love it.

  Awesome gif.  Thanks!

October 25, 2018 2:04 am

October 25, 2018 5:14 pm
kaedo sevaada wrote:

  That's freaky looking but fitting!

October 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Cool idea using the effects pedals for further chaotic implementations!  The guitars remind me a bit of the chase scenes in the movie HEAT. *plays with the lights*

October 26, 2018 9:06 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Cool idea using the effects pedals for further chaotic implementations!  The guitars remind me a bit of the chase scenes in the movie HEAT. *plays with the lights*

  Yeah, that was a total accident that I stumbled into, but once I heard it I knew I had to use it.  It's been a really long time since I saw Heat.  I don't remember the music in the chase scenes at all, but perhaps I should re-visit them!

October 27, 2018 8:15 am

This is really psychedelic stuff... like some trash metal band had taken their first trip together smile I love this...

October 27, 2018 7:13 pm
Ashen Simian wrote:

This is really psychedelic stuff... like some trash metal band had taken their first trip together smile I love this...

  Thanks!  I like the image of a trash metal band taking their first trip together.  It's kind of cute somehow and speaks of band solidarity.  smile

October 27, 2018 9:16 pm

Awesome trippy eery fun. Tripped me out. Great idea with the bass effects, messing around is where its at.

October 27, 2018 10:23 pm
miraclemiles wrote:

Awesome trippy eery fun. Tripped me out. Great idea with the bass effects, messing around is where its at.

Messing around is where it's at for sure.  Thanks for listening!

October 29, 2018 12:37 am

Awesome effect pedal glitch sound. Never would have guessed where that came from without reading the description. Great atmospheric sound.  Like an electric didgeridoo.

October 30, 2018 7:22 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Awesome effect pedal glitch sound. Never would have guessed where that came from without reading the description. Great atmospheric sound.  Like an electric didgeridoo.

  Thanks!  Yeah, it does kind of sound like an electric didgeridoo, doesn't it?

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up