WeeklyBeats.com / Music / budmelvin's music / Terrible Sadness In My Soul

Terrible Sadness In My Soul

By budmelvin on April 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Did another minor key banjo improv this week but with some percussion as suggested by devieus.

Experimented with a new (to me) C minor banjo tuning, gCGBbEb. I made it up but I'm sure I'm not the first. Some noise from crappy guitar cable but my soundcard basically sounded messed up the whole time so never noticed until too late.

How can we change the stories we tell ourselves to forgive, recover and move forward from our own terribleness?

April 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Terrible sadness.

April 23, 2018 7:01 pm

That's a great banjo tone. The melody is moves along well and fits nicely together.

April 23, 2018 10:26 pm

That's probably some of the most unique banjo work I've ever heard.  It sounds great!

April 25, 2018 6:12 am

Chaotic, but memorizing. Great banjo tone

April 25, 2018 4:48 pm

The percussion is definitely an improvement, though personally I wouldn't have gone with casio drums, they're a terrible match with the banjo. What I imagine is like a rock kit that gets progressively more presence, starting with a few gentle hi-hats, then adding a bass drum and cautiously adding a snare after that.

Another option would be to go a little more traditional, a woodblock or cowbell at irregular patterns, two hits every bar but rarely in the same points.

April 25, 2018 6:17 pm
Devieus wrote:

haha oh man but casio is the greatest  wink

love the idea of 'cautious snare'