Song for Joy #2

By brian botkiller on January 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Continuing my series of songs for my wife, Joy, I bring this IDM influenced bit of weirdness.
I usually create a lot of bits in Ableton Live, then start to play with them, tweak a little, and then just go into performance mode and play whatever comes to me. I tweak plugins and such until I get something, so most everything is pretty stream of consciousness in some way.

January 15, 2018 5:27 am

That's just really sweet that you are writing songs for her.  *tear of joy*

Love this warped soundscape + acid jam rave out.

January 15, 2018 9:22 am

Reminiscent of those post afx rave sounds. Very tight knit

Joy is sleeping

January 16, 2018 11:12 pm

How does she like it?

January 18, 2018 11:43 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

How does she like it?

She's been very happy with what I'm doing, so far. I'm trying to do some things that also work into some of the music she listens and performs to -- she's a burlesque performer under the name Joy Coy, and I like making stuff that she could use for inspiration and such. Thank you for asking!

January 21, 2018 1:17 pm

Daang, real nice. Such a journey this track. As soon as that beat dropped I was in for the long haul. Both weeks so far are really long and varied. Do they take you long to arrange? Or do you do a kind of live thing once you have your palette?

January 22, 2018 4:35 am
Simon Koehn wrote:

I basically arrange random bits, then just throw it together on the fly -- sometimes I do it more planned, but usually, I am pretty long form about it. My more synthpunk stuff, AKA the stuff that I play live/sell, is more planned out for structure and such, because I sing over it.