Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Out Of Fuel

By Ashtom on April 19, 2020 9:08 pm

I was pretty uninspired for this one and my mind is occupied on other things. It's Ludum Dare this week-end (46th edition of the popular game jam) and I thought I should make music for the game I'm making but I didn't know what to go for and whatever idea I had fell flat. So I just let my mind wander on the Deluge and ended up with this.

It's a bit grungy, dirty, lo-fi and somewhat bland as well. I hope I'll get something better next week.

Thank you vimster, NWSPR and Devieus for your kind comments on my last beat! Keep any feedback coming even if it's not my favourite track maybe I can salvage some lesson from it thanks to you.

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
April 20, 2020 1:51 am

I really like the feel of this track and how it builds. The chorus line (it feels like a chorus to me) also works really nicely. A part of me wishes there was one more melody line in there somewhere acting like a solo or something like that. Could be something to think about if you ever decide to come back to the track, maybe. smile

April 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Hey Ashtom, your track really stands out in the pack this week.  I'm a sucker for that gritty heavy synth bass and the classic progression and detuned melodic synth evokes some really strong synth rock vibes like Gary Numan. This is the kind of comp I so often try to emulate.  Saved and faved!

April 21, 2020 2:16 pm
hent03 wrote:

I really like the feel of this track and how it builds. The chorus line (it feels like a chorus to me) also works really nicely. A part of me wishes there was one more melody line in there somewhere acting like a solo or something like that. Could be something to think about if you ever decide to come back to the track, maybe. smile

Thanks for the feedback! I think you're right about it missing a real solo part. It would definitely gives it a proper identity. I will have to think about it.



NWSPR wrote:

Hey Ashtom, your track really stands out in the pack this week.  I'm a sucker for that gritty heavy synth bass and the classic progression and detuned melodic synth evokes some really strong synth rock vibes like Gary Numan. This is the kind of comp I so often try to emulate.  Saved and faved!

Wow, you have no idea how your comment made my day! I didn't believe in that track but you saw something in it and that reminded me of the obvious fact that music is a very personal thing and what you're not thrilled about could be enjoyed by someone else. It made me really happy that someone enjoyed something I made. It's basically one of the most important drive (if not the most important) for me to keep making things.

April 23, 2020 3:48 pm

It's fantastic, the simplicity of the bass itself makes it feel like a part of the drums. Love the gritty synth, it provides a great contrast to the others.
One thing I might note is that the title doesn't really match, it just kinda keeps going at its normal pace.

April 24, 2020 1:24 am
Devieus wrote:

It's fantastic, the simplicity of the bass itself makes it feel like a part of the drums. Love the gritty synth, it provides a great contrast to the others.
One thing I might note is that the title doesn't really match, it just kinda keeps going at its normal pace.


Thank you! I actually started with the bass and built the track around it. And yeah I had a hard time coming with a good title so it actually to my creative (or lack thereof) situation at the time.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up