Weeklybeats 2018 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / antler's music / Weekly Beats 2018 #6

Weekly Beats 2018 #6

By antler on February 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Been listening to a lot of Infected Mushroom this week, so I decided to emulate their usage of effects and filtering in the WAV channel of this track. Didn't have space left for a WAV kick, so went for a PU1 kick since a very, very long time.

Style-wise this is definitely somewhat slower than I did for last couple of weeks. This was a week of frustratingly playing around with the track until I found something that actually fit my tastes. The intro + bass line was made rather fast, but the rest of the track threw me off guard and costed me quite some hours. The last part I made is the "chorus", where the song changes harmony. Most of it is just a driving D minor, and I felt I needed to spice things up before it got boring.

Also, at some points the track misses some snare hits, because (I'm guessing) my dmg simply can't keep up? hmm

Made with LSDJ 5.8.8.

February 12, 2018 12:11 am

i can definitely tell the I.M. influence. never knew you'd be able to get that out of a gameboy though. sick tune.

February 12, 2018 12:17 am

That's some crazy bass modulation, and yet it's so damn crisp. How do you make those arps flow so smoothly?

February 12, 2018 1:10 am

The bass is talking to me.

February 12, 2018 7:54 am
Wisefire wrote:

Haha, well neither did I! But WB is about experimenting if you ask me, and I'm glad you think it worked out well smile

Mortistar wrote:

Thanks! You mean the stereo arps? Basically they just emulate side chaining (E0F command), but the pitches do range multiple octaves, as is slightly unusual for LSDJ.

NWSPR wrote:

The bass is talking to me.

So...instead of a walking bass, it's a talking bass? *badummm tsssss*

February 12, 2018 10:45 am

It's pretty crazy, but is it crazy enough? I can tell there's some Infected Mushroom influence, but it's also very much distinct; that is, I don't listen to them a whole lot, just a few select songs, but they usually tend to do all sorts of wacky stuff.

February 12, 2018 10:54 am
Devieus wrote:

Oh, they do all sorts of whacky effects stuff, some of which is hard to emulate with lsdj. I do think I could've added more glitches, though the plan never was to make an IM copy. Some parts are definitely more 4ntler than they are IM. Might do a cover of one of their tracks one day (not for wb) to see how far I could push this.

February 12, 2018 11:20 am
antler wrote:
Devieus wrote:

That sounds about right. I bet it would be an interesting result.

February 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Love the melodic ideas in this one ^^

February 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Great one... actually i like the tempo... much more grooving !
The stereo effects are very cool!

February 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Vault Kid wrote:

Love the melodic ideas in this one ^^

theGuen wrote:

Great one... actually i like the tempo... much more grooving !
The stereo effects are very cool!

Thanks for listening, and your kinds words! heart

February 12, 2018 5:35 pm

damn this is great, probably my favorite WB track I've heard from you yet, and there's some strong contenders there! That bassline is so sick against that plodding, half-time rhythm. And I second Vault Kid that the melodic lines are sick throughout. great work!

February 13, 2018 6:04 am

Whoaahhh. LSDJ GEM! Gr8

February 13, 2018 7:34 am
Parallelis wrote:

Oooooh thank you! heart Means a lot to me! Glad the time I put in this one paid off smile

Aday wrote:

Whoaahhh. LSDJ GEM! Gr8

D’ahw you both, thanks! big_smile

February 13, 2018 10:20 am

This tune is turned out very danceable! Sounds very clean too smile I'm listening to it for a third time now! Nice to hear a pulse kick once in a while big_smile

February 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Cool track! Dig that groovy bassline. Nice WAV modulation. Tasty stuff here for sure.

February 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Really digging the grainy sound, active synth voices, and the modulation from minor to major in the chorus...nice work!

February 13, 2018 9:51 pm
purelygrey wrote:

roboctopus wrote:

onezero wrote:

Thank you for listening! Three times, in purelygrey's case ;]

February 14, 2018 9:57 am

Ah, Infected Mushroom, my teen love smile Well done!

February 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Those arps are infectious! Definitely hearing the IM rolling bass_fx inspiration too. The missed snares actually give the beat a nice variation imho smile