Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting December 29th 2019 GMT each participant will have one week to upload one finished composition. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

Wich Which

By Anon_Buster on October 11, 2020 4:29 pm

I wanted to keep working with Native Instruments' Studio Drummer kits (they have a more interesting room sound than the Superior Drummer 3 drum sounds (which all happen in a very dry, almost lifeless room). This is a continuatino of the previous couple weeks where I focus on drums and learn about how to mix the different microphones of a drum kit and get the sound I want through effeects. More synthesized instruments again.


Learning for the week:
1) Drum patterns
2) Drum mixing - gating kick and snare, EQ'ing overhead mics to remove boomy kick and snare sounds
3) Arranging acoustic drums with synthesizer sounds

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
October 12, 2020 1:08 am

It's interesting to read what you're trying to learn/accomplish with the track.  I hope you're gaining valuable experience with each week.  In the meantime I thought this had a great upbeat energy to it and the synth lines were quite catchy.

October 12, 2020 1:42 am

I really like that you've got clear goals for experimenting with ideas. How did you feel about the patterns and mixing for this particular track?

October 12, 2020 1:54 am

Good job on the drums! I like the organic sound they have and which contrasts with the synthesizers.

October 12, 2020 5:50 pm

Those drums feel real good, so does the lead and the everything else.

October 12, 2020 5:58 pm

I am not sure, if you noticed you were throwing out an 80ies-like TV-Soap-Opera Theme-Hit with lot of addictive ingredients? Your skills in placing patterns for drums, mixing, ect are professional, you should go for earning money with that talent. Bombastic.

October 14, 2020 2:01 am

You're ambitious getting that deep into drum recording/production.  Seems like a huge undertaking to learn all of that and to practice getting it to sound good.  Looks like its paying off for you though, the drums sound great on this.

October 20, 2020 7:30 pm

Good progression on the drums.  The snare especially has a nice quality to it.  I agree with Q-Rosh it has a bit of an 80s TV theme feel to it.  Well done!

October 21, 2020 12:50 pm
CosmicCairns wrote:

It's interesting to read what you're trying to learn/accomplish with the track.  I hope you're gaining valuable experience with each week.  In the meantime I thought this had a great upbeat energy to it and the synth lines were quite catchy.

hent03 wrote:

I really like that you've got clear goals for experimenting with ideas. How did you feel about the patterns and mixing for this particular track?

Kedbreak136 wrote:

Good job on the drums! I like the organic sound they have and which contrasts with the synthesizers.

Devieus wrote:

Those drums feel real good, so does the lead and the everything else.

Q-Rosh wrote:

I am not sure, if you noticed you were throwing out an 80ies-like TV-Soap-Opera Theme-Hit with lot of addictive ingredients? Your skills in placing patterns for drums, mixing, ect are professional, you should go for earning money with that talent. Bombastic.

Chrisfoo wrote:

You're ambitious getting that deep into drum recording/production.  Seems like a huge undertaking to learn all of that and to practice getting it to sound good.  Looks like its paying off for you though, the drums sound great on this.

Tone Matrix wrote:

Good progression on the drums.  The snare especially has a nice quality to it.  I agree with Q-Rosh it has a bit of an 80s TV theme feel to it.  Well done!

Thanks for the comments! It's interesting that this track brought out some 80's tv soap vibes, and very scary--especially because I wasn't alive for that decade. Maybe I'm an old soul?


Learning drums has been fun. Studio Drummer has a nice room sound that gives me a little drum-spiration that Superior Drummer 3 hasn't made me feel yet. I'm finding drums to be pretty GROOVY (practicing my dad jokes for later in life).

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up