Weeklybeats is a 52 week long music project in which artists compose and publicly release 1 song a week for the entire year.
Starting January 1st 2018 GMT each participant will upload one finished composition per week. Any style of music or selection of instruments are welcomed and encouraged. Sign up or Login to get started or check our FAQ for any help or questions you may have.

On Trust

By alonemusic on September 23, 2018 11:29 pm

every now and then I get the urge to just go back to a time where I wanted to play in bands and make rock music. turns out I was never that great at it, and the bands I was in all quietly fell apart, mostly as we were never very good. But that urge remains, and this week I wanted to play some loud, close up bass. so that was the start, and then I just did more guitars and synths until I was happy.
I recommend loud, and on headphones
Art?

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)

  • Play
  • Download
September 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

September 25, 2018 4:56 am

I found the song very nice and energetic. The synths and bass and everything really reminds me of Hawkwind (Shot Down In The Night, particularly). It's a personal taste, but I would definitely change the drum mix around a lot, because the arrangement really sounds like it wants to be "free & more acoustic", but the sound is very sample based and kind of rigid to my ears.

Devieus wrote:

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

I hope you're joking here - I would never want to be in a band with this sort of attitude. Yeah of course everyone has different ambition and skill, but what usually makes or breaks the band is how they are willing to work together for a common goal. After all, the world is full of far more skilled & ambitious players so why aren't any of them working with you if that's all it takes?

In my opinion a very small and rare bunch of musicians in the world can afford this sort of attitude, and if either of us was a part of that group, we wouldn't be posting our stuff on weeklybeats.

September 25, 2018 7:28 am
thawkins wrote:
Devieus wrote:

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

I hope you're joking here - I would never want to be in a band with this sort of attitude. Yeah of course everyone has different ambition and skill, but what usually makes or breaks the band is how they are willing to work together for a common goal. After all, the world is full of far more skilled & ambitious players so why aren't any of them working with you if that's all it takes?

In my opinion a very small and rare bunch of musicians in the world can afford this sort of attitude, and if either of us was a part of that group, we wouldn't be posting our stuff on weeklybeats.


You're right, but it can be hard to find a group of people that are willing to not stick to what they know best or can find anything to contribute to what it is you make. I'll admit it's mostly about chemistry, and some people are better at finding a creative outlet when they work alone.

September 25, 2018 5:25 pm
thawkins wrote:

I found the song very nice and energetic. The synths and bass and everything really reminds me of Hawkwind (Shot Down In The Night, particularly). It's a personal taste, but I would definitely change the drum mix around a lot, because the arrangement really sounds like it wants to be "free & more acoustic", but the sound is very sample based and kind of rigid to my ears.

Devieus wrote:

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

I hope you're joking here - I would never want to be in a band with this sort of attitude. Yeah of course everyone has different ambition and skill, but what usually makes or breaks the band is how they are willing to work together for a common goal. After all, the world is full of far more skilled & ambitious players so why aren't any of them working with you if that's all it takes?

In my opinion a very small and rare bunch of musicians in the world can afford this sort of attitude, and if either of us was a part of that group, we wouldn't be posting our stuff on weeklybeats.

Devieus wrote:
thawkins wrote:
Devieus wrote:

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

I hope you're joking here - I would never want to be in a band with this sort of attitude. Yeah of course everyone has different ambition and skill, but what usually makes or breaks the band is how they are willing to work together for a common goal. After all, the world is full of far more skilled & ambitious players so why aren't any of them working with you if that's all it takes?

In my opinion a very small and rare bunch of musicians in the world can afford this sort of attitude, and if either of us was a part of that group, we wouldn't be posting our stuff on weeklybeats.


You're right, but it can be hard to find a group of people that are willing to not stick to what they know best or can find anything to contribute to what it is you make. I'll admit it's mostly about chemistry, and some people are better at finding a creative outlet when they work alone.

I really think its just life that gets in the way, playing music with other people is so much fun, so much so that given the chance and the time and the funds, I would play with my friends in dank rehearsal rooms unit I'm old and grey. But all those things, time, funds, jobs, life, all just go to add stress to the fun. Suddenly it has to be 'worth it'. Its not about skill or talent, its just ultimately the commitment to doing something. The saddest part is when the band just fades away. The few projects I've been involved with did that, not because we sucked (we did suck a little...), but just.. life.. I'm still amazing friends with them all, but that time just got eaten away... Me? I just do this because.. I don't know.. I want to, it feeds something totally different. But capturing that band room joy is something I love aiming for from time to time.

September 25, 2018 6:19 pm
thawkins wrote:

I found the song very nice and energetic. The synths and bass and everything really reminds me of Hawkwind (Shot Down In The Night, particularly). It's a personal taste, but I would definitely change the drum mix around a lot, because the arrangement really sounds like it wants to be "free & more acoustic", but the sound is very sample based and kind of rigid to my ears.

Devieus wrote:

Sometimes you just have to admit you're a one-man band and the only reason any other band falls apart is because they can't catch up to your ambition and skill.

It's what I tell myself, but it certainly applies to you.

I hope you're joking here - I would never want to be in a band with this sort of attitude. Yeah of course everyone has different ambition and skill, but what usually makes or breaks the band is how they are willing to work together for a common goal. After all, the world is full of far more skilled & ambitious players so why aren't any of them working with you if that's all it takes?

In my opinion a very small and rare bunch of musicians in the world can afford this sort of attitude, and if either of us was a part of that group, we wouldn't be posting our stuff on weeklybeats.


I completely agree with your last paragraph here. I've been in many bands and some have fallen apart quick and some have stayed together until life got in the way with jobs, family, etc. When it comes to WeeklyBeats, this is my chance to create music (usually go for full band) and keep myself going because I'm the one who had life get in the way while the band kept going.

This song itself was a blast to listen to. The energy and progression really made it move to a fucking sweet pace. Also, the art is killer.

September 25, 2018 11:10 pm

This took me back to 90's sidescrollers. Amazing work capturing this kind of raw headbanging energy!

September 26, 2018 7:07 am
alonemusic wrote:

I really think its just life that gets in the way, playing music with other people is so much fun, so much so that given the chance and the time and the funds, I would play with my friends in dank rehearsal rooms unit I'm old and grey. But all those things, time, funds, jobs, life, all just go to add stress to the fun. Suddenly it has to be 'worth it'. Its not about skill or talent, its just ultimately the commitment to doing something. The saddest part is when the band just fades away. The few projects I've been involved with did that, not because we sucked (we did suck a little...), but just.. life.. I'm still amazing friends with them all, but that time just got eaten away... Me? I just do this because.. I don't know.. I want to, it feeds something totally different. But capturing that band room joy is something I love aiming for from time to time.


Yea, so true. Life has a way to just get in the way of things. Perhaps there is a way to form a band with like-fated people, but even if you can't, it's still a fun thing to do.

October 19, 2018 6:46 am
Devieus wrote:


You're right, but it can be hard to find a group of people that are willing to not stick to what they know best or can find anything to contribute to what it is you make. I'll admit it's mostly about chemistry, and some people are better at finding a creative outlet when they work alone.

It's true that chemistry does not always work, and to get something done the way you like it, you have to do it yourself. After all it's why my weekly beats stuff is done all by myself too. smile
I just wanted to point out that sometimes it is really necessary to focus not on skill but cooperation and that almost always means that not everyone will have the same skill and there will be compromises.
Being a perfect team-player does not mean you get all the rest of the band though - it only makes it a lot easier I think.

alonemusic wrote:


I really think its just life that gets in the way, playing music with other people is so much fun, so much so that given the chance and the time and the funds, I would play with my friends in dank rehearsal rooms unit I'm old and grey. But all those things, time, funds, jobs, life, all just go to add stress to the fun. Suddenly it has to be 'worth it'. Its not about skill or talent, its just ultimately the commitment to doing something. The saddest part is when the band just fades away. The few projects I've been involved with did that, not because we sucked (we did suck a little...), but just.. life.. I'm still amazing friends with them all, but that time just got eaten away... Me? I just do this because.. I don't know.. I want to, it feeds something totally different. But capturing that band room joy is something I love aiming for from time to time.

Someone smart once said that time you enjoyed wasting is not time wasted.. I guess it can apply to other resources in life too. smile For me it has always been worth it just to play, but yeah for others the compromise is not so easy. But on the other hand I probably could not live with myself if I stopped making music, so for better or worse I am addicted.

As for bands fading away.. yeah that sucks a lot, especially if the chemistry was there. Never say never though: if there is drive and vision, the band can come back from the dead! smile

October 19, 2018 8:08 am
thawkins wrote:
Devieus wrote:


You're right, but it can be hard to find a group of people that are willing to not stick to what they know best or can find anything to contribute to what it is you make. I'll admit it's mostly about chemistry, and some people are better at finding a creative outlet when they work alone.

It's true that chemistry does not always work, and to get something done the way you like it, you have to do it yourself. After all it's why my weekly beats stuff is done all by myself too. smile
I just wanted to point out that sometimes it is really necessary to focus not on skill but cooperation and that almost always means that not everyone will have the same skill and there will be compromises.
Being a perfect team-player does not mean you get all the rest of the band though - it only makes it a lot easier I think.


Some people just aren't team players. It'll be extra hard to co-operate for them.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up