So, this is a bit of a copout, but also not really. I wrote a patch in pd last year for a flute composition (duet for flute and electronics) which was a performative patch, which treated sound by analysing the incoming signal and resynthesizing it, adding delay lines and delay + transposition. After a lot of pissing about on Sunday night trying to get poly~ to work for me in the way I wanted in Max/MSP (again), and considering the same basic approach in PD, then thinking of writing a granular synth from scratch and deciding not to, my partner suggested using some of a recording I made this afternoon while I was at a BBQ/jam.
The source material is a timelapse sound recording using the phonograph software, which was recorded over about 5 hours (1000ms intervals, 100ms grains), with a Zoom H4n angled out of my front window, giving me about 7 minutes of audio. This piece is that sound file improvised on through the PD patch mentioned above, then stereo-ized slightly in Logic to polish it up.
I'm surprised and impressed at the output, and found this to be a most enjoyable (and incredibly interesting) piece to conceive and implement!
The source file will be used again in a chamber composition for two flutes and electronics, coming in about 5 weeks but probably not to WB. It's part of my Honours research/folio.
Have attached screenshots of the pd patch (or at least, parts of it)
Timelapse software (phonoLapse):
This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved