Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / vinpous's music / A Festival of Free Love

A Festival of Free Love

By vinpous on March 20, 2016 11:46 pm

A quick piece. I started making the patch Sunday evening, realised the piece (after modifying the patch significantly) about 20 minutes before deadline.

This piece uses Faux Foe's Love City as its source material.

I am surprised with how much I like the patch, and I think at some later stage I'll develop it into a more serious work, perhaps even an eight-channel or something. Could be good. Also I discovered stutter~. Oxygen. Magnesium. (OMg)

Source used with permission.

The title: when we were curating the Love City festival cubby a few weeks ago, in my haze of sick and stress and busy, I could not for the life of me remember what the festival was called. This title pays homage to the fact that I kept calling it the "free love festival".

Screen Shot 2016-03-21 at 10.34.54 am by Vincent Giles, on Flickr

March 21, 2016 12:46 am

Once again I'm in awe of your intellectual rigor (I also like the music).

What's this "stutter - Oxygen, Magnesium" reference?

March 21, 2016 12:48 am
Jim Wood wrote:

Once again I'm in awe of your intellectual rigor (I also like the music).

What's this "stutter - Oxygen, Magnesium" reference?

Stutter~ is an object in Max that does some neat granular playback.

Oxygen, Magnesium are elements that spell OMg (or Oh My God in the common vernacular), but I kind of like to satirise those young folks who say "oh emm gee".

I am very pleased you like the music! There is not much intellectual rigor here though.

March 21, 2016 12:50 am

Oh, THAT stutter ::)

March 21, 2016 5:44 am

Oxygen, Magnesium... You know what that is? That, my friend, is a dad joke.

March 21, 2016 5:45 am
kevanatkins wrote:

Oxygen, Magnesium... You know what that is? That, my friend, is a dad joke.

It's a nerd joke. A nerd joke, damnit.

March 21, 2016 5:54 am

NERDY DAD JOKE, VINCE!

March 21, 2016 6:49 am

i like the sounds a lot, c

March 21, 2016 11:51 am

A feast of playful aural miscelania .. nice!

March 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Brilliant track! Your patch works really well with the source material.

March 21, 2016 5:38 pm

March 21, 2016 10:36 pm
chra wrote:

i like the sounds a lot, c

Thanks.

tim koch wrote:

A feast of playful aural miscelania .. nice!

I'm glad that it comes across as playful, I get that too!

Plantrain wrote:

Brilliant track! Your patch works really well with the source material.

Cheers, the source material is very solid, too.

Ipaghost wrote:

Pew pew pew.

March 22, 2016 2:52 am

ha! i love the idea of remixing/recreating each other's tracks, the title is clickbait but the description of why it's called that is nearly as good as the piece. and a dad joke! love it.

March 22, 2016 4:22 am

Great recording, great treatment. It feels like it captures something with great accuracy and urgency, although I don't know what that is, if that makes any sense.

March 22, 2016 5:02 am
george bowles wrote:

It is not clickbait! Glad you enjoyed though.

colorful grey wrote:

Perfect sense.

March 22, 2016 4:52 pm

:-)

March 26, 2016 4:27 am

The spacial elements work a treat.  Would be an experience on a multi channel setup.  It's tracks like this that make me want to delve into Max.  I need less interests/passions damn it to free up time for that.  I'll live vicariously through you for now  smile

March 26, 2016 5:40 am
cTrix wrote:

:-)

big_smile

rdomain wrote:

Yeah, I reckon I'll develop that at some stage in the coming 12 or so months. This coming Monday will have another piece using the same patch. smile