Above is the score for this weeks submission.
I am not sure if the image link will work so I have included a direct link just in case.
This piece was written for the same purpose and last weeks submission, it will hopefully go on the first album of my band Molloy.
In this piece I set out to find a balance between aesthetic choices and aleatoric elements. The rhythms in the piece are derived from the binary representation of the word Molloy.
With 0 representing a rest and 1 representing a note.
The pitches are chosen because those are the ones I liked.
1. The piece must be at least 1 minute long (Weeklybeats rule not mine), but must not exceed 3:33.
2. The piece can be played by any number of players so long as no two players perform at the same tempi.
3. The piece can be played at any tempi as long as it is divisible by 30bpm.
I have chosen quarter note = 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 240.
4. Each performer can move down the page any time they like in any part of the bar, so long as the first and last lines are played at least once in their entirety.
5. Pitches can be arranged in any way to form melodies over the given rhythm, except in the bottom cell where the pitches are to be played sequentially.
6. The final note of the piece must be a b natural and it must be played at least 3 times.
7. The eighth note is not to be taken literally, sounds may be as long or short as you choose so long as their propagation is as dictated on the score.
8. You must drink a beer after performing this piece.
9. The beer must be cold.
There is also a field recording of some rain attacking my porch which I just thought would sound nice.
I had a lot of fun putting this one together. Enjoy!!
This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)