Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Phil Harmonic's music / The spy who raped me

The spy who raped me

By Phil Harmonic on May 8, 2012 12:00 am

I could have spent so much more time on this.. but here it is. keeping with this week's theme (60s soundtrack)! wink
I wanted to make sortof an ode to john barry as he is obviously one of my greatest influences.. sorry for the ending.. figured i'd just throw the bond Em-Maj9 on the tail cause I rain outta time as usual. ;>

May 14, 2012 4:36 am

This is great! Some brilliant sounds in there, what did you use? I love the chord progression too, very John Barry - love the ending! Needed more brass though!

May 14, 2012 4:46 am

yeah.. wish i would have had time to flesh it out more.. for strings i used a combo of NI Session/Motown strings and VSL.. for brass I used a combo of VSL and Broadway Lites..   i think the thing that really made it stick together was the use of altiverb for the room simulation and Eos for some chorusy verb on the main strings line..  Maybe ill do more stuff in this vane.. I am a huge john barry fan and his influence can be heard in a lot of my stuff. this is the first time I actually went into it trying to channel the man though smile I think the chords/melody I wrote for this were enough of his style to sound like his style but enough of me to make it my own.. was fun wink

May 14, 2012 4:54 am

i should also mention that I bought "broadway lites" specifically for this cause I needed brass that was more growly.. for the brass that I did I think it turned out well..  I should warn though that that library has some real stinkers of pitch problems.. had to lightly autotune a few sections

May 14, 2012 4:57 am

oh. and if you were asking which DAW I used.. well.. this time I used flstudio.. anything with a pianoroll works for me though..

May 14, 2012 5:52 am

WOAH! What a reply! I meant the sample libraries, that's quite a collection you've got going, amazing that it works so well together. How can a professional sample library have pitch problems? Ridiculous!

Never heard of the NI Session or Motown strings, are they good? Definitely do more of this, it's fantastic

May 14, 2012 6:01 am

May 14, 2012 6:03 am

as for it having pitch problems.. well.. i dont know.. i guess the player was trying to add inflection sometimes but it doesnt work for all situations.. i have read other comments about the occaisional pitch problems with that library.. cost me fucking 500$ too haha

May 14, 2012 4:32 pm

nicely done sir

May 14, 2012 10:35 pm

This reminds me of the show "It takes a Thief" at least I thin that's what it was called, anyway good job!

May 14, 2012 11:35 pm

hmm. interesting.. never heard "it takes a thief" sounds cool though.. dont really hear the resemblence other than that it is spyish  ;>

May 15, 2012 4:15 am

sounds like a LucasArts game

May 15, 2012 5:02 am

hehe. everything is a game eh?

May 19, 2012 9:41 pm