You are at an elegant ball for ambassadors and diplomats. You are a person of great prestige and power. A waiter approaches you with an envelope addressed to you, and a flute of champagne on a silver platter. You take both. You open the envelope. It reads, in beautiful calligraphy on an embossed card: "You will die tonight." You slowly scan the crowd.
It could be anyone.
Enough of being hopeful, time for some TOTAL DESTRUCTION! This was all done on OP-1 and edited on Ableton Live. I have been listening to a lot of D'Angelo (with drums by Questlove) and J Dilla, and have always admired their ability to swing beats. I can't really do that when I play drums, but luckily I can swing (60%) on the OP-1! This is a minimal piece, trying to just focus on the drums, noise, bass, and then the melody drone. I wanted the "third act" to linger, but still have some variation, as the threat of danger still lingers and is not resolved. The melodic drone appears when the main character makes eye contact with the actual assassin, not realizing that he's looking at author of the note.
Things I did:
- high pass and low pass filters to clean up the hi-hats and bass, respectively
- Used the insane DNA synth to make a super disgusting chord [C,G,C]
- I think I used similar notes as I did in "Carved By Glaciers"
Things to do:
- learn how to do send/receive on FX
- finish next week's track on Friday
- consider opening the track with a creepy vocal sample, if this would go on an album (I am thinking it will, I like it a lot!)
Last week's track was late, so please check it out if you haven't already!
This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Noncommercial No Derivative Works (BY-NC-ND)