Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / onezero's music / Tardigrade Dub

Tardigrade Dub

By onezero on November 13, 2016 10:06 pm

Well.  What a freaking week.  This track...helped me with managing stress levels all week, so maybe it'll help others.  (To anyone freaked out, consider this an offering of assistance.  Anyone who's not freaked out, you can still enjoy this.)


Sunday and Monday evenings, I'd had the thought of doing a dub track, and put down some drums and bass.  I had the thought of doing something interesting with LFOs and the drums, so put an effects rack with two chains on that channel--one with a static auto-filter to roll off highs, and the other with an LFO-modulated high-resonance bandpass filter into a Filter Delay.  I modulated the level of the second chain with yet another LFO for some variation, and put yet another LFO on that channel to control the reverb send.


I added two more percussive channels: one with tabla samples, and one with general percussion (conga, tambourine, wood block), which got some send automation on the delay channel.


For other voices, I added a bunch of electric piano parts, and ended up deleting all but the sparsest.  I also found a single-note melodica sample, and put that in Sampler.  Throughout the week, I found myself listening to this a lot to manage mood, so it was mostly burned in by the time I added Res-O-Glas guitar.  The first pass (a lazy pass with no effects) ended up not making the cut, so I tracked more (with wah) on Sunday afternoon.  That did it.  Several editing passes later, I ended up with this. 


Sends: Filter Delay into Simple Delay, and Convolution Reverb (12-string impulse, with damping to roll off bass). Lots of humanizer on MIDI instruments, auto-pan on almost everything. 


The title comes from a suggestion from the kids, who are fans of tardigrades.  Hey, dub is slow.  I can envision a bunch of tardigrades chilling out to this, lounging around on some moss, just being indestructible.  (We should all be so lucky.)


(,(,(,(,(o),

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
November 14, 2016 12:29 am

sllllooooooowowwwwwwww ddodoooooowwwwwwnnnnnnn mah duduuuuuuuuuuuuddeeeeeee.......

Did you SEE that moss yesterday???? shhhhiiiiittt was soooooooo grrrereeeeeeeeennnnn maaaannnnnn

November 14, 2016 12:31 am
Alphaglitch wrote:

sllllooooooowowwwwwwww ddodoooooowwwwwwnnnnnnn mah duduuuuuuuuuuuuddeeeeeee.......

Did you SEE that moss yesterday???? shhhhiiiiittt was soooooooo grrrereeeeeeeeennnnn maaaannnnnn

Maaaaaaaaaaaaan...have you ever really...thought...about algae? (giggle)

November 14, 2016 1:10 am

Who isn't a fan of tardigrades? Cue the water bears in space gifs...

November 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Tardigrades are pretty cool alright. Also I am in love with that bass tone.

November 14, 2016 3:52 pm
mysterioso wrote:

Tardigrades are pretty cool alright. Also I am in love with that bass tone.


Thank you!  80s Epiphone Embassy II (P-J configuration, with just the P pickup active--it's a retrofit EMG Select), flatwound strings, straight into the board.  In Ableton, I added about 50% blend of Cabinet on that channel (4x10 bass), and a touch of send to the convolution reverb.  Oh--and I used some compression, sidechained from the main drum channel.

November 14, 2016 4:11 pm
onezero wrote:

Thank you!  80s Epiphone Embassy II (P-J configuration, with just the P pickup active--it's a retrofit EMG Select), flatwound strings, straight into the board.  In Ableton, I added about 50% blend of Cabinet on that channel (4x10 bass), and a touch of send to the convolution reverb.  Oh--and I used some compression, sidechained from the main drum channel.

I would never have guessed flatwounds with the bite you're getting.  I'm thinking it's maybe time for me to try a set again, it's been years since the last time!

November 14, 2016 5:47 pm
Edmund Snyder wrote:

Who isn't a fan of tardigrades? Cue the water bears in space gifs...

November 14, 2016 5:50 pm

[img]https://media.giphy.com/media/Gj8hYwEEifOiQ/giphy.gif[/img}

thank you for the chill... much needed

November 16, 2016 9:19 pm

November 17, 2016 5:41 pm

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up