A tricky track. The first thing I'd tried was a slow bass thing, but early in the week, a little bass riff came to mind, and I started off on a funky percussion-heavy thing. I tracked a few bass parts and kept adding percussion and drum parts...until I realized that I was sensing the downbeat in an entirely different place. So I shuffled a lot of the MIDI tracks, retracked bass, and tracked guitar Saturday night.
Parts: one track of sample hits of a kit hit with brushes, one track of 808 (bass, snare, closed hat), a drum rack full of cowbells, woodblocks, tambourine, and agogo bells, and one track of handclaps. One track of real bass (Epiphone 80s P-J), two tracks of Res-O-Glas guitar (one Vox wah, one Reuss RF-01 fuzz + Vox wah), one track of Ableton's Electric instrument, Operator on Funky Organ preset, and Simpler with grand piano. Two sends: one convolution reverb with a large room impulse, and one with a large chamber, and one Filter delay send. Everything went through the Full Chain Master effects rack. All the MIDI channels got some humanizer delay (set to the equivalent of about a 64th note or less, which seems to be the maximum limit for musicality), auto-pan, and another auto-pan to give a few volume variations.
In the tracking, this one didn't seem all that good--there didn't seem to be enough material, especially in the lead guitar, so I edited it visually, without listening. Then, when I played it through, it was better than I'd thought...but I just had to make the guitar clips make sense, and a few hours spent editing took me up to the deadline.
Title is kind of a dumb pun on the fact that it's week 5.
This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved