Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / onezero's music / By Your Own Light

By Your Own Light

By onezero on April 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Another "organically" developing track.  This one started with a suggestion from Laguna to check out using Live's vocoder on drums, so I did.  Single-hit samples on a real kit aren't in an audible channel, but instead are feeding another channel of Analog going into the vocoder, with a few different note-length variations and patterns for the synth.  The vocoder went into an effects rack, one chain straight through, and the other through Corpus for some extra-membrane action. (This was inefficient; I should have stuck with the wet/dry, but was considering other processing options which I didn't end up doing.)  I also used four LFOs on this channel: one on synth filter cutoff, one on synth filter resonance, one on the send to filter delay, and one on send to Beat Repeat. (Actually, just looked, and the beat repeat LFO got deleted at some point. Whoops.  Not going to re-render, though.)

Against that background, handclaps on 2 and 4 anchored things, but the claps were too clean, so I put them through a bit crusher and into another Corpus plugin with pipe modeling.

I recorded bass straight into the board, but added some impulse delay send (BM7 Studio B Far impulse), and added a bit of Electric for a Rhodes line, putting that through the Dynamic Tube plugin (on Hot Driven Tape). 

I'd experimented with another vocoder on bass, but it didn't really fit.  So I kept that channel for after tracking guitar.  I did do a bunch of snippets with the Moderne into the board, giving it some air with the Cabinet plugin and some room reverb, as well as the Berlin Power Station impulse.  Both main guitar channels got some overdrive and filtering with Auto-Filter, as well.  (While tracking, I wasn't sure whether to go torchy or bluesy; ultimately, I threw out the bluesier bits.)

I also wasn't sure about the guitar, and toyed with making it unrecognizable; after experimenting with several approaches, I went with time-stretching using the Complex algorithm.  Stretching the guitar to the extremes ended up giving it a trumpet or (alternately on some clips) violin-like timbre.  That seemed to work with the rest of the piece.

The processor was working really hard on this one, and I had to be careful not to open any windows during rendering.  Kind of weird.  I might have to look at machine-upgrading options.

The title comes from 15 being the atomic number of phosphorus, which makes me think of the Wallace Stevens poem "Phosphor Reading by His Own Light."  Enjoy.

(Now off to do a live drone soundtrack to a several-hour reiki session.)

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
April 18, 2016 1:39 am

Yeah, cool percussion and stereo imaging. Digging the bass groove as well. This evolves nicely.

April 18, 2016 2:13 am

This is light and airy and very acid jazz. I love stuff like this. You did a great job with the processing, from the drums to the guitars to that thing th at sounds like a sax (but it *could* be a guitar - I think that's the time stretched thing you referred to). Thanks for the detailed notes as well, it's really inspirational to see the implementation and to be able to compare them to the track.

April 18, 2016 2:39 am

It's a little funky, a little smooth, but 100% excellent. 

April 18, 2016 5:15 am

wow, that really does sound uncannily like a trumpet...

April 18, 2016 7:30 am

so nice! Very dubby, love the sound of the sax too. So many details here, brilliant really!

April 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Smooth.

April 19, 2016 4:41 pm

Excellent track - take a bow sir!!!

April 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Great chilling track. Warm and cool bassline, great guitarsounds and 70ies e-piano.  You are superflying.

April 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Very chill groove, great stuff. Love the instrument choices and that wide, bouncing percussion.

April 19, 2016 10:58 pm

April 20, 2016 7:21 am

superb!

April 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Really nice laid-back track thanks to that chill bassline. Sweet delay on the percussion too!

April 20, 2016 6:24 pm

Lots of work for a result that sounds organic and effortless. Well done,sir!

April 22, 2016 1:35 am

Agreed.  It's comes across as very organic.  Really dig those trumpet tones.  Very cool.  Levels sound a bit hot as I can hear some peaking on my system.  Nothing serious though.  smile

April 22, 2016 8:48 pm

Neat results from a very creative and interesting process (thanks for the detailed notes). I love the percussion/ vocoded, delay really held my ear. Amazing sounds from guitars too, solid bassline. (Hope the live reiki session was fun too - I know some reiki practitioners, a live drone session sounds like great addition to that therapy!)

April 23, 2016 7:14 am

Great groove for a very smooth and funky track. Wonderful "trumpet" playing!

April 23, 2016 8:46 pm
NWSPR wrote:

Yeah, cool percussion and stereo imaging. Digging the bass groove as well. This evolves nicely.

Thank you!

Arcana wrote:

This is light and airy and very acid jazz. I love stuff like this. You did a great job with the processing, from the drums to the guitars to that thing th at sounds like a sax (but it *could* be a guitar - I think that's the time stretched thing you referred to). Thanks for the detailed notes as well, it's really inspirational to see the implementation and to be able to compare them to the track.

Thanks!  I do them in hopes that people can find them useful, take something from, and maybe try it themselves.

CosmicCairns wrote:

It's a little funky, a little smooth, but 100% excellent.

Thank you!

CrazyBob wrote:

wow, that really does sound uncannily like a trumpet...

I know, right? I only stretched it with the Complex algorithm; it just worked.

dj someguy wrote:

so nice! Very dubby, love the sound of the sax too. So many details here, brilliant really!

Devieus wrote:

Smooth.

GrainBastard wrote:

Excellent track - take a bow sir!!!

Q-Rosh wrote:

Great chilling track. Warm and cool bassline, great guitarsounds and 70ies e-piano.  You are superflying.

Pyure wrote:

Very chill groove, great stuff. Love the instrument choices and that wide, bouncing percussion.

Ipaghost wrote:

george bowles wrote:

superb!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Really nice laid-back track thanks to that chill bassline. Sweet delay on the percussion too!

Jim Wood wrote:

Lots of work for a result that sounds organic and effortless. Well done,sir!

Thank you all!

rdomain wrote:

Agreed.  It's comes across as very organic.  Really dig those trumpet tones.  Very cool.  Levels sound a bit hot as I can hear some peaking on my system.  Nothing serious though.  smile

I'll have to listen again--pretty sure I limited the 2-mix...maybe you're hearing some overdrive on the guitar?  Or it might be a compression artifact. 

miraclemiles wrote:

Neat results from a very creative and interesting process (thanks for the detailed notes). I love the percussion/ vocoded, delay really held my ear. Amazing sounds from guitars too, solid bassline. (Hope the live reiki session was fun too - I know some reiki practitioners, a live drone session sounds like great addition to that therapy!)

It did go well!  It was a very low-key, balanced kind of thing in a great space.  Looking forward to doing some more!

Plantrain wrote:

Great groove for a very smooth and funky track. Wonderful "trumpet" playing!

Thank you all for listening, and I'm glad you liked it!

April 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Wonderfull sonic expierience !
I use Vocoders for years, to generate new sonic... smile
This is a great tool!
Creates organic Textures smile

April 24, 2016 10:47 pm

I love this jam man! I think the bass is great. All it needs is to be toned down just a tiny bit for my tastes.

April 26, 2016 7:42 am

Now that's a nice bass tone!

April 26, 2016 1:53 pm
m2K7 wrote:

Wonderfull sonic expierience !
I use Vocoders for years, to generate new sonic... smile
This is a great tool!
Creates organic Textures smile

Oso Feo wrote:

I love this jam man! I think the bass is great. All it needs is to be toned down just a tiny bit for my tastes.

Max Normal wrote:

Now that's a nice bass tone!

Thanks, everyone!  Bass tone: 80s Epiphone P-J with EMG Selects, P pickup only, flatwounds, fingers (either right over the pickup or closer to the neck), straight into the board.  Send channel: bunch of convolution reverb with a studio chamber for some air.

April 27, 2016 1:35 pm

Ok, my brain melted slightly with the set up ;-) but the result it excellent. Lovely, warm dreamy vibe and also the spacial mix is great. The bass really has it's own space and despite a lot of stuff going on a points it doesn't feel crowded at all. Really excellent, another for the Album :-)

May 1, 2016 8:04 pm

great bass riff? (i still never know when that's correct - josh keeps trying to explain that to me & it won't stick) & i like what happened with the guitar sound

May 9, 2016 2:17 am
Robroy wrote:

Ok, my brain melted slightly with the set up ;-) but the result it excellent. Lovely, warm dreamy vibe and also the spacial mix is great. The bass really has it's own space and despite a lot of stuff going on a points it doesn't feel crowded at all. Really excellent, another for the Album :-)

Thank you!  Yeah, this one's probably a keeper.  A couple timing things, but the fix-list isn't that long. 

is nothing sacred? wrote:

great bass riff? (i still never know when that's correct - josh keeps trying to explain that to me & it won't stick) & i like what happened with the guitar sound

Thank you, Emily! Maybe "bassline"? Riffs usually refer to repetitive guitar lines--if they're catchy, they're the hook.  But one could have the signature melodic pattern (the hook) in the bass.  (In fact, my stuff...can be structured oddly, due to the collage methods I use.  So "bass riff" might be accurate here--there are definitely sections where the bass is carrying a melody that sticks in the mind more than the other parts.)

May 9, 2016 2:17 am
is nothing sacred? wrote:

i like what happened with the guitar sound


All Moderne here! It turns out that it stretches a little nicer than the Res-O.

May 14, 2016 7:36 pm
onezero wrote:
is nothing sacred? wrote:

i like what happened with the guitar sound


All Moderne here! It turns out that it stretches a little nicer than the Res-O.

sounds as pretty as it looks wink

May 15, 2016 11:25 pm

Another nice One. I think the mangling you did to the guitar is the highlight for me. Very difficult to ID the instrument at some points, which I think is good. I enjoy music that kinda "does what it wants".

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up