Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Creation

By Martiln on April 1, 2016 1:44 am

Found myself running really low on time this week so didn't really put much effort in this week. I think the end result is still cool, not really a style that I've done in a long time, don't even know what prompted me to make something like it... I guess that's what happens when you just force yourself to make something!

On another note, it's really hard to believe that we're already a quarter of the way through the challenge and consequently the year as well! Thanks to all of you for being such an awesome and welcoming community, this challenge has to be easily one of the best things I've ever participated in.

Hope you guys enjoy this week's submission! smile

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

  • Play
  • Download
April 4, 2016 7:35 pm

Despite the fact that it snowed this past weekend, this is a welcome summer jam.

April 4, 2016 10:55 pm
onezero wrote:

Despite the fact that it snowed this past weekend, this is a welcome summer jam.

No snow here! Thanks for listening! smile

April 5, 2016 10:23 pm

Nice development and dynamics!

And yes I do. Enjoy it ::)

April 5, 2016 11:49 pm
Jim Wood wrote:

Nice development and dynamics!

And yes I do. Enjoy it ::)

Thanks! Glad you liked it! big_smile

April 6, 2016 5:15 pm

April 7, 2016 1:56 am
Ipaghost wrote:

Top notch gif as always my friend! Thanks for listening! smile

April 7, 2016 9:19 am

Nice Dancetrack!

April 8, 2016 2:25 pm
m2K7 wrote:

Nice Dancetrack!

Thanks for listening, glad you like it! smile

April 14, 2016 11:27 pm

As someone that is trying to learn mastering, how do you do this?  This track is massively MEGA!  Would you say that your original mix/source material is very loud, or is there something else that you are doing?  Right now my only "mastering" is using Reason's MClass Maximizer for essentially brick wall limiting.  Have yet to explore other mastering concepts and tools.

Inspiring sonic work and the track is rad to boot! smile

April 15, 2016 4:04 am
orangedrink wrote:

As someone that is trying to learn mastering, how do you do this?  This track is massively MEGA!  Would you say that your original mix/source material is very loud, or is there something else that you are doing?  Right now my only "mastering" is using Reason's MClass Maximizer for essentially brick wall limiting.  Have yet to explore other mastering concepts and tools.

Inspiring sonic work and the track is rad to boot! smile

Hmm, I'd say that I put a fair bit of effort into making the mix hit hard, making sure that it's peaking somewhere between -3dB and -6dB, using compression on pretty much everything, and for some reason I've started putting parallel compression, as well as normal compression on the drum bus of every track I do now, just seems to work for me. After the mix is at a stage where I think it sounds good, I'll chuck on a little mastering chain that I made by modifying one of the Ableton preset racks, basically consisting of an EQ to boost lows, mids and highs, followed by a Mid-Side EQ to basically just take off all of the frequencies below about 150Hz on the sides and precision boost some stuff if needed, and then another EQ to do some precision cuts, always rolling off everything below 30Hz (I'd like 25Hz but Ableton's EQ only allows 30), and everything about 19kHz. Glue compressor with a low ratio, release timed to the track and an attack that makes the transient of the kick just punch through (if it's a clicky/punchy kick), which is triggered by essentially just the punch of the kick using the side-chain EQ and sweeping to find a nice frequency. A little bit of overdrive, stereo-enhancing, and then some mutliband compression to level out things a little, all feeding into a limiter which is hitting on average I'd say 3dB or so of gain reduction, maybe more.

Just remember that the amount of everything varies from track to track, but overall I'd say the big thing it just trying to get a great balance in the mix, pretty much regardless of loudness, and that will really help in the mastering stage. That's off the top of my head, and I am by no means a qualified mastering engineer, but I hope it helps a little! big_smile

April 15, 2016 4:22 am

this is incredible, thanks so much.  i think my goal for my track two weeks from now will be to incorporate sidechain compression.  I really love that Glue Compressor but alas, I only have Ableton 8.  I'm saving this note and will refer to it next week!

June 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Fun times. :-)  Big sound on this!

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up