Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Martiln's music / A Slice Of Imagination

A Slice Of Imagination

By Martiln on June 19, 2016 8:45 am

I started working on a piece this week and put a fair bit of effort into it, then got about half way into it and couldn't go any further with it, and by this point it was Saturday. So, instead of trying to push through with that piece, I set myself a challenge: make something in 1 hour using only a certain set of recordings (I won't go too much into detail but I've done a lot of field and instrumental recordings for a project that I'm working on over the past two weeks). So, that's what I did. I took a few recordings, chopped them up, manipulated them, arranged them, mixed and mastered them all within an hour on Saturday afternoon. Surprisingly, I am actually really happy with the result, it's been a while since I set such an intense time restriction on myself, so it was interesting to see how I worked and what I managed to get done within that hour. Hope you guys like it!

This submission is licensed by author under Copyright All rights reserved

June 20, 2016 2:44 am

Great choice of kick for this. Kinda wish the field recordings were louder. Can barely make them out. But maybe you're saving them for this other project you spoke of. For an hour of work, this is quite brilliant. Very relaxing, almost meditative. I'd listen to it while cloud watching, or watching a sunset. Fav'd!

June 20, 2016 11:00 am
Alphaglitch wrote:

Thanks Alphaglitch! Yeah, I understand what you mean about the field recordings, interestingly enough however, I didn't use any field recordings in their natural state, and all of the percussion in the piece are actually manipulated field recordings (the melodic and harmonic material being manipulated piano recordings).
Glad you enjoyed it though! smile

June 20, 2016 11:23 am

Really beautiful and soothing track. Wish it was a little longer. I'm impressed with what you got out of some "sparse" field recordings.

Without putting down your house efforts, which are incredible by the way, I'm really diggin' these other downtempo experiments smile

June 20, 2016 12:27 pm

Beautiful track, this! I can see why you would be happy with this one. Very nice work in just one hour. I wish I could do the same in that time span ...
What kind of field recordings did you use?

June 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Yeah, I agree with them, this is lovely.

June 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Good stuff!

June 20, 2016 11:41 pm
laguna wrote:

Thanks Laguna! Yeah, I would've loved it to have been a little longer as well, within the hour time constraint the was the best I could do though (although admittedly I could've kept going with it). Glad to hear you enjoyed it nonetheless! big_smile

dj someguy wrote:

What kind of field recordings did you use?

Thanks! I think the main field recording that I used in this one was from a local, cafe-ridden street in Melbourne (Degraves St, if any of you know Melbourne), at about 8am. That recording forms pretty much all of the percussion, and the other stuff is manipulated recordings of me improvising on piano.
Glad to hear you liked it! smile

mysterioso wrote:

Yeah, I agree with them, this is lovely.

Thanks Mysterioso! Glad you like it!

Ipaghost wrote:

Good stuff!

Thanks Ipaghost! I'll admit, not quite the image I had in mind when making this track, but surprisingly still fitting.
Glad you liked it! big_smile

June 21, 2016 12:17 am

tits

June 21, 2016 1:30 am

more!

June 22, 2016 8:35 am
george bowles wrote:

tits

I can only assume that's a compliment, in which case, thank you very much!

7506 wrote:

more!

Definitely will be more of this stuff to come, I really enjoy creating stuff like this. Glad to hear you want more too! smile

June 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Excellent dark beauty smile

June 26, 2016 2:04 am

tis

June 26, 2016 7:47 am
m2K7 wrote:

Excellent dark beauty smile

Thanks! Glad you like it! smile