Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / laguna's music / Submarine Adventure 3D

Submarine Adventure 3D

By laguna on January 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Well, I ended this one just lest than fifteen minutes before the deadline! Week was harsh because of work and mundane things, but on top of that I had to face some software crashes. Believe it or not, I wanted to make some cracktro modtracking iLKke's style, and started to mess with MilkyTracker under OSX... And the thing went mono and refused to accept my audiocard... Then I bounced between Renoise and returned to OpenMPT (the open sourced Modplug Tracker) to be faithful to that .XM FastTracker feeling. I don't know what happened but lost all saturday's work when trying to fix some keyboard layouts (I'm running this thing under Wine on a Mac).

Lastly, it was sunday evening and I decided to keep the few undeveloped patterns I got and dump everything in Live. Lots of swampy ambience and a really rushed mix. Tossed this one in about 3 hours.

I'm afraid things are a bit monotonous in my track, and I'm not even sure it sounds like a submarine, but felt rushed enough to give it some 8 bit era cassete tape game kinda title.

All original sounds were basic waves and 8 bit samples from my Amiga years, except drums, which are lame Alesis DM5 chops found around the net.

Less rant, let's hear what you've got. I'm sure it will be amazing smile

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
January 25, 2016 12:24 am

Ugh sad to hear you had so much trouble, but at least you came on top. Quite honoured to be an inspiration to someone, too!

The tune's quite nice, esp for a last second effort! Reminds me of some of the Metrodub releases, bit like Matt Nida whose piggytracker stuff I really like (and I think he's doing the weeklies this year again, not sure)

January 25, 2016 12:47 am
iLKke wrote:

Ugh sad to hear you had so much trouble, but at least you came on top. Quite honoured to be an inspiration to someone, too!

The tune's quite nice, esp for a last second effort! Reminds me of some of the Metrodub releases, bit like Matt Nida whose piggytracker stuff I really like (and I think he's doing the weeklies this year again, not sure)

Wow, I'm flattered. I've been a huge fan of Matt's work ever since I heard those Metrodub releases, and I'm carefully building some samplebanks to feed my PSP's Piggy this year. He's indeed doing WB2016 from week 1.

Are you proficient on the Little Piggy? Wouldn't be surprised at all if you almost invented the thing smile

January 25, 2016 12:47 am

This is my submarine adventure

January 25, 2016 12:49 am
Ipaghost wrote:

This is my submarine adventure

You americans and your big sandwiches !!! smile

January 25, 2016 12:54 am

Digging the depth and space of the mix - bit reduced drumz are nice and high in the mix how I likes it .. now let's dance!

January 25, 2016 1:02 am

Great work pushing though all the troubles! Super happy you managed to share this track with us!

January 25, 2016 1:15 am
tim koch wrote:

Digging the depth and space of the mix - bit reduced drumz are nice and high in the mix how I likes it .. now let's dance!

I could almost swear I saw that RAI broadcast as a kid, here in spanish tv ... smile

Thanks for listening Tim smile and again really coll GIF

mechlo wrote:

Great work pushing though all the troubles! Super happy you managed to share this track with us!

Well thank you Mechlo, both for listening and your words ... and glad to see a fellow MPC user here! (i've got the 500)

January 25, 2016 2:06 am

Glad you were able to submit this, sounds like warp records circa 1992. I'm partial to the groove it settles into near the end.

January 25, 2016 2:09 am
Sodabelly wrote:

Glad you were able to submit this, sounds like warp records circa 1992. I'm partial to the groove it settles into near the end.

Well, Thanks for the Warp analogy. I tried to give some more action using random bitcrushing variations over a simple beat. Wish I had more time to add a few details here and there

January 25, 2016 3:31 am

lol Macs wink Don't give up tho I want to hear laguna cracktros!

January 25, 2016 6:12 am

The submarine is surrounded by interesting lifeforms smile

January 25, 2016 7:55 am

Really nice groove, digging all the variation. Great job!

January 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Nice jam m8!

I love the chiptune melodies and also you're great for put this before of the deadline in WB!

Cheers! big_smile

January 25, 2016 1:06 pm
XC3N wrote:

lol Macs wink Don't give up tho I want to hear laguna cracktros!

haha Thanks. I should say I've never had any previous problems with my OSX tracker setup but I decided it was better to UPGRADE to a new MilkyTRacker release in the middle of the project... Bad idea. For some reason it decided the driver would go mono when using my Edirol FA-101... As I said, previous release worked flawlessly. Lesson learned: if ain't broke, don't fix it!

BTW, I've got some "straight from Amiga to hardware sampler" cracktro music in my sleeve wink

Brackleforth wrote:

The submarine is surrounded by interesting lifeforms smile

Whoah.. that's really inspiring for some visuals. Thanks!

Naikymusic wrote:

Nice jam m8!

I love the chiptune melodies and also you're great for put this before of the deadline in WB!

Cheers! big_smile

Really appreciated, mate! I should be careful. A few more minutes of fiddling and I'd miss the deadline smile

Hope to make some decent chiptuning in the forecoming weeks smile

January 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

January 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Love the beats and the atmos here, man. Well done despite the rush!!

January 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Very cool vibe on this. Really dig that beat. Nice work!

January 26, 2016 12:48 am

Yeah, I'm totally picking up the underwater vibe.  In keeping with the week's theme (which I totally didn't do), I'll imagine it's a planet with a really thick atmosphere rather than underwater.  smile

January 26, 2016 3:38 am

Oh my god!
This is a great submarine sound! !

January 26, 2016 4:35 am

Great track, certainly get the aquatic vibe and love the dubby arcade sounds and skittering beats

January 26, 2016 7:00 am

This is awesome. So many technical variations. Must have taken you ages? Definately sounds like a submarine adventure. Reminds me a bit of Aphex Twin.

January 26, 2016 7:45 am
XC3N wrote:

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

Word

January 26, 2016 6:06 pm

I subscribe the WARP sound comparison.
Great rhythm breaks, strings with concerthall-reverb.
Hope next track happens without technical
problems.

January 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Really nice super-deep underwater pads, and those fractured beats are totally doing it for me.  Sorry to hear about all the software problems--anytime I've run audio under emulation, it's been a real uphill battle. The end result here is beautiful, though. 

January 28, 2016 5:19 am

That bass is real chewy. Really love the blending of fakebit and modern production sounds. Pretty chill man!

January 28, 2016 12:39 pm

Glad you were still able to get this out in time, considering your troubles! Very nice. The submarine vibe definitely comes across.

January 28, 2016 1:17 pm

only getting around to listening to this now... strong beats and delays/reverb, and I'm excited about Amiga samples any time. i think a lot of times WB makes us "release" stuff we're not happy with, but it turns out to be a great way to learn. also an excellent musical diary in the end. whatever it is, it captures and communicates your world last week.

January 28, 2016 2:21 pm
XC3N wrote:

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

iLKke wrote:
XC3N wrote:

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

Word

I definetely love Renoise, but I wanted to use something more minimalistic and although I spent several years with Modplug Tracker, I've lost some of my muscle memory.

Do you know if it's possible to work with a .MOD in renoise and NOT upgrade the effects to be renoise compatible (I want to use the old Protracker commands so I could go back to the real Amiga hardware in the near future). When I loaded my Fasttracker/Milkytracker mod Renoise messed with the effects and columns.

Ahh, I found out SDLAudio doesn't like Realtime Kernel on Linux, so no Flystrack o Milkytracker until rebooting and loading the regular kernel smile

January 28, 2016 2:36 pm
donnyjankowski wrote:

Love the beats and the atmos here, man. Well done despite the rush!!

cfurrow wrote:

Very cool vibe on this. Really dig that beat. Nice work!

Thanks! You guys rocked this week, BTW.

I was too close to miss it... Hoping to make every week this year

Edmund Snyder wrote:

Yeah, I'm totally picking up the underwater vibe.  In keeping with the week's theme (which I totally didn't do), I'll imagine it's a planet with a really thick atmosphere rather than underwater.  smile

Cool analogy... would love to follow the "theme of the week" motive but I was too short on time. Really glad you dig the vibe, anyway

Mercurymonkey wrote:

This is awesome. So many technical variations. Must have taken you ages? Definately sounds like a submarine adventure. Reminds me a bit of Aphex Twin.

Q-Rosh wrote:

I subscribe the WARP sound comparison.
Great rhythm breaks, strings with concerthall-reverb.
Hope next track happens without technical
problems.

Guys, I'm flattered with the comparison with mr AFX himself smile

Actually it just took about 3-4 hours for everything. The secret trick is applying a random (as in modulated sample & hold with beat sync) variation to the bitcrusher depth so it varies every 1/4 of a bar. Beat has its pauses and fills, but I was surprised myself when I hear the result. I tend to use a lot of lfo-based modulations in sync with the beat, and if you use irregular variations (5/6 of a bar, 3/8 and so on) the result seems to be varied enough, which is good for my sometimes too monotone music.

onezero wrote:

Really nice super-deep underwater pads, and those fractured beats are totally doing it for me.  Sorry to hear about all the software problems--anytime I've run audio under emulation, it's been a real uphill battle. The end result here is beautiful, though. 

Thanks for listening, Maurice, and for that gorgeous polygon gif smile

I usually use a lot of emulation without further problems, but I sometimes make a fool of myself by upgrading some bits like its the end of the world, when the important part was to complete the project and maybe then looking for updates.

As an inmediate future, I wanted to mess a little bit with win32's Famitracker and maybe 2000's Buzz under Crossover (the Wine commercial yet really affordable windows emulation for Linux and Mac). So far, results have been really promising. Anyway, I feel you: sometimes although the emulator is capable of running SOnar or Pro Tools without hiccups you can't run the silliest win98 program you need to import some project from back in the day sad

Now working in some Linux-Mac interaction. Hope you hear some results soon


January 28, 2016 2:42 pm
Lyons wrote:

That bass is real chewy. Really love the blending of fakebit and modern production sounds. Pretty chill man!

This one was pretty "truebit" until I could run the original program, so I dumped everything to audio and continued on Ableton.

Really glad you liked it smile

Simon Koehn wrote:

Glad you were still able to get this out in time, considering your troubles! Very nice. The submarine vibe definitely comes across.

Thanks Simon. Glad you got the underwater flow... Your track FTV2 is DA SHIT, man, BTW !!! (what does the name stands for?)

January 28, 2016 2:47 pm
colorful grey wrote:

only getting around to listening to this now... strong beats and delays/reverb, and I'm excited about Amiga samples any time. i think a lot of times WB makes us "release" stuff we're not happy with, but it turns out to be a great way to learn. also an excellent musical diary in the end. whatever it is, it captures and communicates your world last week.

Totally agree with you on this one. I "learn" a lot about where I was or what I was feeling in a particular moment from listening to past releases, while if you put out a "polished" release much of "the moment" is lost in neverending editing and polishing. 

As always, you've got wise words smile

BTW I could send you some 8 bit Amiga samplebanks I'm carefully building. They're kinda tiny, but I guess that was the idea, isn't it? Also I wanted to experiment building complex 24b/96Khz samples from Amiga sources through modern gear.

January 28, 2016 2:52 pm
laguna wrote:
colorful grey wrote:

only getting around to listening to this now... strong beats and delays/reverb, and I'm excited about Amiga samples any time. i think a lot of times WB makes us "release" stuff we're not happy with, but it turns out to be a great way to learn. also an excellent musical diary in the end. whatever it is, it captures and communicates your world last week.

Totally agree with you on this one. I "learn" a lot about where I was or what I was feeling in a particular moment from listening to past releases, while if you put out a "polished" release much of "the moment" is lost in neverending editing and polishing. 

As always, you've got wise words smile

BTW I could send you some 8 bit Amiga samplebanks I'm carefully building. They're kinda tiny, but I guess that was the idea, isn't it? Also I wanted to experiment building complex 24b/96Khz samples from Amiga sources through modern gear.

i would love that. i was just thinking this morning, i need a unique sound for the metronome that i may want to record with some of my upcoming tracks. not kidding, i was looking for a sound that's simple, non-rennaissance, but not contemporary EDM, either (e.g., no 909 bass drum). so yeah! you got me email still right? not urgent, but thanks!

January 29, 2016 2:57 am
laguna wrote:
XC3N wrote:

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

iLKke wrote:
XC3N wrote:

Renoise is da shit anyway wink

Word

I definetely love Renoise, but I wanted to use something more minimalistic and although I spent several years with Modplug Tracker, I've lost some of my muscle memory.

Do you know if it's possible to work with a .MOD in renoise and NOT upgrade the effects to be renoise compatible (I want to use the old Protracker commands so I could go back to the real Amiga hardware in the near future). When I loaded my Fasttracker/Milkytracker mod Renoise messed with the effects and columns.

Ahh, I found out SDLAudio doesn't like Realtime Kernel on Linux, so no Flystrack o Milkytracker until rebooting and loading the regular kernel smile


no idea =/ I completely dropped MPT when I started using Renoise... and I was a scream/impulse tracker user to start with wink

January 29, 2016 4:39 am

You can't make MODs with Renoise.
Either use Milky, MPT (ugh!) or the recent Protracker Rewrite that is actually very good (google it)

January 30, 2016 6:25 am
laguna wrote:


Thanks Simon. Glad you got the underwater flow... Your track FTV2 is DA SHIT, man, BTW !!! (what does the name stands for?)

smile Thanks so much. Its just an abbreviation of the working title, which I didn't like hehe.

January 30, 2016 6:36 am

Man, this is very pretty. Lots of depth in the textures presented. Perfect underwater verb ambiance. Really, really like this one. smile

February 1, 2016 12:29 am

Sorry to hear about the software issues, that type of thing always seems to happen at the worst time! This def has that underwater feel or at least underground smile I'm getting dig dug visuals from that 8bit synth smile

February 4, 2016 5:27 am

Super smooth man.  Dig those arps.

February 12, 2016 4:18 pm
iLKke wrote:

You can't make MODs with Renoise.
Either use Milky, MPT (ugh!) or the recent Protracker Rewrite that is actually very good (google it)

Well, MPT has an special place in my hearth, though I admit some of its win95 interface is really ugly. Thanks for the tip on Protracker rewrite. I'm really diggin' it and taking it back to the Amiga (I was an Octamed guy for a while).

February 12, 2016 4:21 pm
DjjD wrote:

Man, this is very pretty. Lots of depth in the textures presented. Perfect underwater verb ambiance. Really, really like this one. smile

Thanks DjjD. Glad you like the ambience and the track as a whole smile

Tone Matrix wrote:

Sorry to hear about the software issues, that type of thing always seems to happen at the worst time! This def has that underwater feel or at least underground smile I'm getting dig dug visuals from that 8bit synth smile

Guess it would be really cool to play some classic 8 bit era games with Weeklybeats soundtracks smile

Thanks Tone Matrix smile

cTrix wrote:

Super smooth man.  Dig those arps.

Thanks to you, man. I'm really digging your '16 stuff, a lot!!!

February 13, 2016 12:06 am

Great stuff dude! The placement of every instrument was perfect. Damn, keep it up!

February 13, 2016 1:07 am
Oso Feo wrote:

Great stuff dude! The placement of every instrument was perfect. Damn, keep it up!

Gracias Oso Feo. Glad you like the mix

February 15, 2016 12:52 pm

I love this ver├╝ckten rhythm and all is working perfect together!

February 21, 2016 4:52 pm

I really like your 8 bit sound and these horny groove.

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up