Facebook Twitter Music RSS

Weeklybeats 2016 was a 52 week long music project in which artists composed and publicly released 1 song a week for the entire year. Enjoy this archive of over 3,700 music compositions by over 260 artists.
Sign up or Login to give feedback or chat up on the forums.

Quiz funk

By laguna on July 17, 2016 11:56 pm

This week I'm finally at home, catching my breath. Didn't have any bright ideas, just messed up a lot with some Amiga emulation, building a whole "virtual retro" enviroment, piece by piece. I've also been removing some samples from my library, so they must be often used, turned into an usable kit or archived for good.

I messed up with the original ProTracker on the Amiga (well, actually not the infamous 2.3d, but 3.15 ECS version). The bass samples were created on a Mac running Ableton Live then converted to 8 bit 22.050 kHz using the SOX command line utility, and the drums were downsampled to 11050 kHz. Whole module took less than 54kb of space.

I loaded the whole thing into OpenMPT and then exported each channel as lossless FLAC tracks and then continued to work back on Live 9. Lots of reverb and M4L's Diffuse, but no bitcrush on this one (although it sounds like it).

I know it's quite a simple piece, somewhat juvenile and silly. Plase don't take the whole "points" stuff literally: I don't think this song deserves a 10, it's just that I had very few minutes left till the deadline and found some cool Speak and Spell samples smile

Like a lot of WBeaters out there could confirm, I guess, I'm confronting the fact that the key to a good setup is not having a lot, but knowing well what you already have. So I'm cleaning my sampling library, trimming all the fat smile

Time to sit and really check all my software, from A to Z.

Looking forward to catch up with your wonderful tunes. Have a great week!!!

This submission is licensed by author under CC Attribution Share Alike (BY-SA)

  • Play
  • Download
July 18, 2016 5:49 am

The "juvenile" feel came across to me as playful and fun. It fits well with the retroprimitive sounds, which are pretty great. Maybe not a 10 on a 10-point scale, but possibly on an 11- or 12-point one.

July 18, 2016 3:00 pm

With all the bit and rate downsampling you were mentioning, I was expecting something much more abrasive. This is really mellow. I especially like the vocal snips.

July 18, 2016 6:47 pm

Makes me want to get my Amiga from the loft....great stuff smile

July 18, 2016 7:13 pm
GrainBastard wrote:

Makes me want to get my Amiga from the loft....great stuff smile

Oh, please do! Amigas deserve to be at good use smile Thanks for listening

Jim Wood wrote:

With all the bit and rate downsampling you were mentioning, I was expecting something much more abrasive. This is really mellow. I especially like the vocal snips.

Glad you liked it, Jim... I guess lo resolution samples could be mellow if treated with love smile My aim is to recreate some sort of "E-MU Emulator" sound on the old equipment and try to go beyond my usual bitcrushed stuff smile

Thanks again for dropping by every week!!!

CrazyBob wrote:

The "juvenile" feel came across to me as playful and fun. It fits well with the retroprimitive sounds, which are pretty great. Maybe not a 10 on a 10-point scale, but possibly on an 11- or 12-point one.

Oh, I'm really flattered! Thanks for the complyment, CrazyBob

July 18, 2016 9:05 pm

Your talking a foreign language to me.  Still sounds great though.

July 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Relentless funky badassery. Outstandingly catchy.  Loving the graininess of the sound, the speak-and-spell voice. I didn't take the point thing seriously--it did suggest an interesting narrative, though.  Great piece!

July 18, 2016 9:26 pm

(Fav'd and downloaded.  Extremely cool groove.)

July 18, 2016 9:39 pm
Edmund Snyder wrote:

Your talking a foreign language to me.  Still sounds great though.

That was just some technical rant about using old school gear, which is after all the least important thing. I'm glad you liked it and enjoyed the groove

onezero wrote:

Relentless funky badassery. Outstandingly catchy.  Loving the graininess of the sound, the speak-and-spell voice. I didn't take the point thing seriously--it did suggest an interesting narrative, though.  Great piece!

Whoah, so much Humpty dope glitchness... Glad to be featured along with the Digital Underground smile

Your compliments are really appreciated, Maurice. It's great to achieve funkyness

July 19, 2016 12:14 am

Nice and funky, the mellow bass and the more abrasive elements work really well together.

July 21, 2016 9:22 pm
Plantrain wrote:

Nice and funky, the mellow bass and the more abrasive elements work really well together.

THank you, Plaintrain. It's nice to know you actually found it funky... I wasn't too sure after all smile

July 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Suhweet crunchy downsampled beats and really like the opening main synth sound.  An excellent groove fo sho! smile

July 22, 2016 6:48 pm

July 23, 2016 4:57 pm
Ipaghost wrote:

MIND BLOWING G.I.F as usual... Thanks, man!

Tone Matrix wrote:

Suhweet crunchy downsampled beats and really like the opening main synth sound.  An excellent groove fo sho! smile

It's some native Ableton's Analog... I've been thinking about collecting some of my best patches and send them to you, oh Great Wizard of (the) Pads smile

July 25, 2016 3:05 pm

How cool is that? Lovely
Amiga was my first Sampler/Tracker

July 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Crunchy head goodness! Love those vocal snips!

August 4, 2016 3:54 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

Suhweet crunchy downsampled beats and really like the opening main synth sound.  An excellent groove fo sho! smile

It's some native Ableton's Analog... I've been thinking about collecting some of my best patches and send them to you, oh Great Wizard of (the) Pads smile

haha Wizard of pads smile I like that. Kinda like the wizard of oz tongue

August 4, 2016 3:56 pm

oops i think i messed up the quote tongue
Btw giving this another listen, so groovy! Go pads go! smile

You need to login to leave a comment.
Login Sign-up