Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Jim Wood's music / So Much for That

So Much for That

By Jim Wood on January 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Vocals: Snowflake "Fall in Love" (http://pells.ccmixter.org/people/snowflake). All notes in vocal tuned to C3 and dropped into a Simpler in slice mode. When driven by a Drum MIDI pattern, this created an entirely new melody, which was further tuned in Melodyne.

January 18, 2016 12:26 am

I must have missed out on your last track- I will remedy that shortly. Some really wild sounds! I really enjoyed this one.

January 18, 2016 1:22 am
Diagamblic wrote:

So many tracks, so little time. Thanks!

January 18, 2016 1:50 am

God, love the resampling at C3.
I dig this.

January 18, 2016 1:53 am

the vocal stuff is certainly good audio icing (band name, by the way, i called it), but the whole piece has nice "bones," as well! i like the sinus wave chords and the isolated bleeps and swells. curious how you usually decide on the harmonic background for your more abstract stuff.

January 18, 2016 1:56 am
colorful grey wrote:

Tell the truth, I jiust mess around until it sounds "right" (or in some cases, completely out of context).

January 18, 2016 2:16 am

I like it!

January 18, 2016 2:42 am

The vocal processing is thrillingly confusing, and there's a great structure underneath, particularly the way it ebbs and flows.  Some of the more beat-oriented sections reminded me a bit of O.R.I. (whom you probably don't know; they were active in Pittsburgh in the 90s--wrote their own software).  Great stuff!

January 18, 2016 3:10 am
onezero wrote:

Thanks. I'll see if I can find any of their stuff.

January 18, 2016 3:37 am

Turned out really cool, been meaning to try something like this for a while. Never seen ccmixter before but it looks like a good resource

January 18, 2016 3:52 am
leafo wrote:

Yes, ccmixer has a bunch of good vocals. Highly recommended.

January 18, 2016 4:13 am

good stuff

January 18, 2016 6:13 am

Very nice this!

January 18, 2016 11:33 am

I like how the guitar continues to shimmer and guide the track throughout all the soundscapes. Killer track!

January 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Love the sampling creativity again! Keep killing it, Jim!

January 18, 2016 10:32 pm

this is so cool.

January 19, 2016 7:52 am

haha this is spunky! spunky I say!

January 19, 2016 9:19 am

Jim! This is cool. Glad to see you still using snowflake's vocals - isn't she wonderful?

January 20, 2016 12:59 am

Oh snap. I love the vocal bits. Reminds me of Cornelius a bit. The rest of the track is a killer backdrop to them as well. Especially love the slow strummed guitar-like chords.

January 20, 2016 4:42 pm
hypnogram wrote:

Thank my wife for those.

January 20, 2016 11:56 pm

There's an appealing almost pop-like quality to this one in spite of the vocal strangeness.  I could almost imagine turning on the radio in a foreign country and hearing something like this.

January 21, 2016 12:28 am
CosmicCairns wrote:

And then being arrested...

January 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Wow, this is wicked, Jim! You're always keeping it fresh...and REAL. smile

January 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Great track, the vocal work is outstanding as always, and the guitar works wonderfully.

January 24, 2016 11:35 pm
cfurrow wrote:

Wow, this is wicked, Jim! You're always keeping it fresh...and REAL. smile

Thanks! I wonder about the real part, though...

January 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Sounds great - love the vocals. Made me think of Prefuse 73 a little.

January 26, 2016 12:20 am
miraclemiles wrote:

Sounds great - love the vocals. Made me think of Prefuse 73 a little.

A favorite of mine.

February 15, 2016 2:15 am
hypnogram wrote:

Yea, that's it! I remember some Cornelius video when he banged a midi controller full of vocal snippets back in the late 90's

February 15, 2016 2:16 am
miraclemiles wrote:

Sounds great - love the vocals. Made me think of Prefuse 73 a little.

Yes indeed. It has some Savath and Savallas flavour, with those female vocals