Facebook Twitter Music RSS

WeeklyBeats.com / Music / Ipaghost's music / You've Got Mail (Genitalia)

You've Got Mail (Genitalia)

By Ipaghost on March 20, 2016 8:26 pm

Made this for ICOM this week. Since ICOM is week long now (except for special events) I could polish this up more than my usual ICOM tracks.
For those of you who don't know, Iron Chef of Music is a challenge to make a song using a mystery sample, and nothing but that said sample and cleaver manipulation of it. I used my ICOM compliant drum synthesizer for the drums, which you can hear morph from the original sample in the beginning. The only oscillation that was difficult to get from the sample was white noise, but I simply interpreted the wav file as RAW, which sounded close enough (this might be on the fence with ICOM rules, what do you think?)

March 21, 2016 12:27 am

Very creative! Love the long chords.

March 21, 2016 12:59 am
Nimble Cipher wrote:

Very creative! Love the long chords.

Thanks!

March 21, 2016 1:07 am

Excellent use of the phrase that used to drive me nuts when I still worked in an office. Here, I actually am enjoying it ::)

March 21, 2016 3:49 am
Jim Wood wrote:

Wow, AOL at the office, sounds like a nightmare job.

March 21, 2016 5:37 am

sound has a really charming low end. cool progression man. I need to learn to do this stuffs.

March 21, 2016 11:10 am

Hahahaha!  Oh this is full scale nuts.  Love your work :-)

March 21, 2016 11:55 am

Great fun times and mega sustained chords thanx

March 21, 2016 2:40 pm

this is reallllly awesome - and manipulating a single sample to make music like this is so cool

March 21, 2016 3:48 pm
thricefoldedcloak wrote:

Better get to studying!

cTrix wrote:

Hahahaha!  Oh this is full scale nuts.  Love your work :-)

Thanks cTrix!

tim koch wrote:

Great fun times and mega sustained chords thanx

nikola wrote:

You should give it a try!

March 21, 2016 4:15 pm

You my friend are a master sound manipulator! yikes
The sample gave me memories of hunting for more AOL disks tongue
"GOODBYE!"

March 21, 2016 4:32 pm
Tone Matrix wrote:

You my friend are a master sound manipulator! yikes
The sample gave me memories of hunting for more AOL disks tongue
"GOODBYE!"

Uggg, I totally wanted to end it with that! But against the ICOM rules! Could have been worth the DQ!

March 21, 2016 5:47 pm

I really like the 4 chord progression + the chromatic drop 3/4 in. Great perc as always too!

March 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Ipaghost wrote:
Tone Matrix wrote:

You my friend are a master sound manipulator! yikes
The sample gave me memories of hunting for more AOL disks tongue
"GOODBYE!"

Haha I figured, I was waiting for it but yais rules are rules smile

March 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Brackleforth wrote:

March 21, 2016 9:17 pm

The title reminds me of the horror stories my female friends have told me about online dating...

Oh and good work btw! I've been tempted by the ICOM, but I think I liked the concept more with the tight deadline!

March 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Really awesome track! I love making tracks out of manipulating a single sample, really gets the creativity flowing I find. I might have to do it one week for WB...
Excellent job with this one! smile

March 21, 2016 10:59 pm
7506 wrote:

Martiln wrote:

Excellent job with this one! smile

You should!

March 22, 2016 2:53 pm

amazing stuff, as usual! the percussion is pretty great. does it use the raw file as well or just the original one?

March 22, 2016 5:26 pm

This should be used in schools to show children what a sampler can do. Stunning.

March 22, 2016 8:26 pm
matheusleston wrote:

It uses a mix of both. Here is a quick description of how it works. Essentially, the tonal part of the sample is used for the basic oscillations, and you mine the noise for the noise, typically I use noise floors, or even just destroying a sample with extreme distortion can work. I just wanted to go with Raw interpretation because it's something I haven't done since the 90's. Then you just tweak and blend them together, the metallic instruments are actually modulating each other.

GrainBastard wrote:

Lol, I think kids would love to learn this stuff! I wish someone could have taught me in grade school!

March 23, 2016 6:46 pm

This is awesome.  Sometimes I would check my email and receive a picture of genitalia, so this is really a relatable track.

Did you ever hear DJ Shadow's track, Monosylabik?  He made the whole thing from one sample (and added another vocal sample on top), but that sample had drums and bass and keys.

So EXTRA impressive that you did the whole thing on one non-musical sample!  Elwood is proud of you!

March 23, 2016 8:34 pm
orangedrink wrote:

It's been a while since I've heard that track, I used to listen to a lot of Dj Shadow.
It isn't hard to make new instruments from random samples, just tricky to make it sound good while retaining the original recognizable essence of the sound. For the long tones, I tried using looping points, but this created noticeable artifacts, so instead I use the additive synth Harmor, which allowed me to really stretch out the tones without destroying the essence, and retaining musicality.
I think this would make Elwood depressed! lol

March 23, 2016 10:50 pm

Who's Elwood?

BTW You should do some masterclass talk on building whole worlds with just one sample. Amazing

Jem always needed an MPC. Those guitars were wack, but I loved the pink limo!

March 24, 2016 12:02 am
laguna wrote:

Who's Elwood?

Jem always needed an MPC. Those guitars were wack, but I loved the pink limo!

Elwood Edwards, the AOL voice of the sample.

They did have this thing, whatever it is I want to play it!

March 24, 2016 5:32 am

smile))))
smile))))
smile))))

March 25, 2016 9:56 pm

Damn good Stuff! Love it, ThanX-Danke!

March 27, 2016 11:11 pm