MJP

I'm feeling wildly good about getting a legitimate, unique and fully written track out every week so far. On track to continue that in week 7. Got a baby due in late June though, so the new addition will likely be treated to some noise and drone tracks for a bit. wink

Chicago, IL

So far so good. I get excited (and nervous) at the start of each week, knowing I'll explore something new and have a "finished" track by the end. Before I had been working on the same track for months sometimes.

Oh and the iPad is the way to go! All my stuff is done on the train.

BOULDER D4SH wrote:

This year have been crazy. 6 tracks in six weeks is great. I have never done so many tracks even in one year.

Same here. Also, I am spending many hours working on my tracks... At some point I hope to speed up the workflow, be able to make decisions faster or maybe I'll make "interludes" some weeks so I can either take a short break for some nights or work a bit more than one week for the next track. When I read that some people have made a track in about an hour, I'm kind of impressed and jealous at the same, because I'd find myself lucky to have chosen a drum kit in an hour.

Also, it's winter here... I expect that it will be harder to make music when summer comes! yikes

Melbourne, Australia

All good here.  So many tracks = plenty of areas to experiment and room to grow  If I get a handful of tracks I really like at the end of this I can use live then even better. So far so good with keeping up with the weekly challenge.

Ireland

What can I say, I'm finding the whole process thrilling and challenging in equal measure - it never ceases to amaze me:
(a) How varied and dynamic the styles are turning out, even with individual artists
(b) How supportive and friendly this community is
(c) How QUICKLY Sunday looms down upon me every single week!

I have a habit of sitting on half-finished songs and sketches - Weekly Beats has single-handedly taken to that habit with a vengeance! It's really pushing me to devote more time and passion to what I love doing - I couldn't ask for anything more if I tried.

My upcoming challenge...I'll be sans-technology for a few weeks in the summer, so I might have to do a blitz of tracks and bribe a co-conspirator to upload them on my behalf! big_smile

Riverside, CA
drmindflip wrote:

I might have to do a blitz of tracks and bribe a co-conspirator to upload them on my behalf! big_smile

Remember to keep

2. Composition should have been completed this week.

in mind!
You can maybe write a composition down on staff paper and send it by carrier pigeon to someone who can transcribe it to midi for you smile

Ireland

Aha but of course! Hmmm...I'm actually okay with this - it'll make the whole upload process a lot more elaborate, silly and interesting for me big_smile

Philadelphia

This has really forced me to try to write when I don't feel like writing, which leads to angst but also good stuff too.  I've definitely learned quite a bit about myself during the last couple weeks.  Mostly that I'm lazier than I think I am haha.

Onward to another week!

Santa Fe, NM
george bowles wrote:

I ain't no bot

Good to hear.

Coastal Australia
little-scale wrote:

i feel like i'll give up at some stage.

but i say that about everything all of the time.

Feel like.... but you won't.  Of all people....    smile

The future

I keep thinking I will stop and work on my iOS app instead, but I havent yet

Melbourne, Australia

Sometimes I hate my tracks, then I like them again - it's completely dependent on my emotional state, sometimes I throw them into the trash, then I untrash them.

so much emobeats!

EDIT: Yet, sometimes writing emobeats is fun too...

Last edited by Aday (April 6, 2014 11:51 am)

East Bay

I promised myself (and my soundcloud followers) 100 tracks this year so I'm using that to keep me motivated haha. I missed the deadline for the last two weeks due to finals and moving stress but a) I finished them eventually b) I was able to finish this week's track in time and c) I'm at 26 tracks this year (not including video game music and compilation tracks), and I was able to dish out 3 additional tracks this week to catch up a bit!

So I'm feeling pretty good so far, though I'm slowly lagging behind and struggling to meet my goals. I'm pretty sure this site and community is what's keeping me from completely screwing up my dedication tongue and I'm very grateful for that!

Chicago

Been really enjoying putting up a track every week. Nothing polished and solid, but still an exploration and realization of an idea. At the very least, it's practice. There's a couple of weeks it was tempting to just let it slide due to life, but I'm really glad I've stuck with it.

Seattle

I'm a law student and spend a ridiculous amount of time buried in classwork so WB is one of my few escapes from that world.  I love it for that.

I missed the first week, only because I didn't learn of the project until the first period was closed.  I've come up with something every week since - except I missed last week, which is ironic because I was finally done with finals and in Spring break... I guess I needed a complete vacation.

Anyway, I got back on track this week and hope to keep posting all year.  I haven't dug into the forums much, but just saw a mention of the 12eps project, which I hope is repeated next year.  It'd be fun to have a little larger time frame to work through more coherent material.  This project is a great exercise in how to piss or get off the pot, especially since I'm the type of person who'll never finalize anything if given the opportunity.  I'm hoping I can incorporate the lessons learned this year into more structured and composed pieces instead of the little sketches that I'm coming up with here.

Anyway, I love this project, and the welcoming supportive folks who are part of it, there's nothing better than hearing awesome original music and getting feedback from the creators of it.  Thank you to whomever came up with this idea!!!

Ireland
mispel wrote:

Anyway, I love this project, and the welcoming supportive folks who are part of it, there's nothing better than hearing awesome original music and getting feedback from the creators of it.  Thank you to whomever came up with this idea!!!

AMEN! smile