Schwerin I'm afraid

Like, I got two kids. Can't get a regular practice in. Have to make do with late nights. How do you all do that? Any success stories? I find this rather challenging because family and music are both really really important.

Riverside, CA

disregard family, acquire weekly beats

But really, I have a bit to juggle like most people do, but I feel like with a combination of knowing what I want to make before I start, knowing how to efficiently use my program of choice, and knowing what to do for mixing/mastering I can finish most of my weebees in 1-6 hours (also depending how distracted I get).

Tacoma WA

my modular is pretty hands on so my 3 year old sometimes plays with me.  but mostly just find time in the evenings to play.

its finding time to play shows thats a clusterfuck with work and family

Last edited by infradead (January 28, 2014 6:00 am)

Brisbane

Very difficult. I've broken up with lots of women because of this battle. I'm sure it's not impossible. As long as the other half understands smile

San Diego, CA

my woman is in another country. Highly recommend it.

Melbourne, Australia

Hopefully if my girlfriend exists, then she's the one who understands.
I don't have kids, just servers.

This is a sad post :\

Last edited by Aday (January 28, 2014 10:28 am)

Finland

My kid goes to bed 9PM so there is few hours every evening (maybe). Sundays i get more time due the Weekly Beats mix down session wink

Strangely i have now done more music that i did before i had kid.

Finland
jiffypop23 wrote:

I feel like with a combination of knowing what I want to make before I start, knowing how to efficiently use my program of choice, and knowing what to do for mixing/mastering I can finish most of my weebees in 1-6 hours (also depending how distracted I get).

I have no idea what i'm going to to do before i start. Only thing that i try to do with weekly beats is to do something new in every track. Use new synth, controller, new brand of beer… It helps (or not) that i'm no genre producer. I have no idea what music style the track will be. I'll try that the tracks have at least 10bpm difference. So no 140bpm every week big_smile

I was thinking that i develop good mastering chain during the weeks, but already forgot it last week. Latest track is a bit quiet as it has no master limiter.

Schwerin I'm afraid
BOULDER D4SH wrote:

Strangely i have now done more music that i did before i had kid.

That's interesting. I would say that's true for me, too, although it's been 9 years since I had no kids. I never looked at it that way though. Same with the weekly beats - it *is* good to have some pressure to get things out.

Schwerin I'm afraid
infradead wrote:

my modular is pretty hands on so my 3 year old sometimes plays with me.  but mostly just find time in the evenings to play.

its finding time to play shows thats a clusterfuck with work and family

I admire that - both of it, really. I *want* my kids to see that I'm making music, and not just pleasant Puff the Magic Dragon (although I will play that on the guitar for them) but also bleeps and noise. So having them see and hear what I do is pretty important - and having them mess with your modular is certainly a great way of doing that. I found that an old piano we got for free has been good because I can't put earphones on so they will hear when I play. But of course that's tonal. (Which is not evil, just not the whole story).

Yeah, playing live. I don't even know how to start that. So doubt, such hesitation, wow much calling people. :-)

Stockholm
infradead wrote:

my modular is pretty hands on so my 3 year old sometimes plays with me.

cool yet another reason to topple over the edge into modular world... smile

Got two kids too, same sort of deal - while they're sleeping, do a few hours music, a few hours writing code and a few hours desparately trying to get enough sleep to do the whole thing again...

I forsake all in te name of weeklybeats

But luckily the wife is like "go to your studio so i can watch k drama" hahahaha

Finland

It only takes 10minutes to create a track:
Check the Beat This episodes where producers create new track in ten minutes.

Here is two my favourites:
Toddla T speaks most of the time big_smile

Four Tet creates track using only random samples from Thriller LP:

York, UK

No family as such but girlfriend and dog. Do a lot of work sat in bed with laptop and headphones in the small hours. Annoying through the day when I'm working really hard on something and my dog is just sat there whining at me to let her out or play with her etc. She's a proper attention seeker. lol

Schwerin I'm afraid
BOULDER D4SH wrote:

It only takes 10minutes to create a track:
Check the Beat This episodes where producers create new track in ten minutes.

Here is two my favourites:
Toddla T speaks most of the time big_smile

Four Tet creates track using only random samples from Thriller LP:

damn.

Saturn

What works for me I think is to not take it so seriously. I mean, the only thing you should take seriously is: "I'm going to write a song a week." Don't be too serious on all the other stuff. You're not going to write Bohemian Rhapsody. I mean, if you do, then fuck yeah. Right on.

My logic is that there are a countless number of professional (and even touring) musicians that are also family men/women as well. More often than we think - it's definitely doable, but you have to structure it a bit differently. You aren't going to be able to stay up all night and work on a track, but maybe you can put aside 20minutes a day before going to bed. I tend to believe that the notion that "the longer that you work on a track, the better it will be" is a only a strong correlation at best. Maximize your efficiency and pump out ideas. There are many people that successfully put out creative output will full-time jobs + family responsibilities, don't lose hope!

Last edited by an0va (January 29, 2014 5:54 pm)