Adelaide, South Australia

I find the weather is fairly conducive to productivity and extends to things like inspiration and the variant driving forces behind the creative process.  So - with that in mind, greetings from Adelaide South Australia where our first summer heat wave has been a bit full on.

Sunday  12/1: 35.5 C / 95.9 F
Monday  13/1: 42.1 C / 107.7 F
Tuesday 14/1: 45.1 C / 113.1 F
Wednes  15/1: 43.1 C / 105.5 F
Thurs   16/1: expected high of 46 C / 114.8 C (last night's low was around 31 C at 6am)

So yeah, it's fucking hot here.  Which is what happens when you situate a city about 300km south of the Goyder desert line, and it's a huge bloody desert up there.  The record high for Adelaide is 41.6 C sometime in the 1930's and I'd expect it's going to be eclipsed today.

So, the end result of this in terms of productivity/creative process is something sounding sweaty, sleep deprived and languid.

Melbourne

Yup, same here in Melbourne (not quite 46 but close). I managed to channel it into black metal though; getting sweaty while screaming and playing tremolo-picked guitar was kinda cathartic, actually.

I moved from Perth 6 years ago to get away from this shit!

Melbourne

Melbourne here too, and so far this heatwave is stopping me in my tracks, frankly - I've sat around like a stunned mullet drinking gin instead of working. My studio space has no aircon and is impossible to work in in these conditions! Halp.

France

Paris, France. Heatwave here too. Temperatures aven't really dropped yet (they should be around 0°C but they're still between 5 and 10), seems like we'll have a long autumn followed by a long spring and no proper winter in between. It's been rainy every now and then.

Melbourne, Aus

Melbourne here. Heatwave has put a halt to my recording & income. The double bass is locked up in a cold closet away from the heat & studio. Also had to cancel private teaching because my studio does not have air con.

Coastal Australia

I thought the record high for Adelaide of 41.6 C would of been higher than that.  Weird.  I used to live more rural when I was a young un so maybe I've got those hot days in my memory. 

I've been plenty productive through the heat wave.  Air-conditioned studio and I'm on holidays.  I also live near the beach so I went for a snorkel yesterday morning which was awesome.  Saw a stingray and a heap of different fish.  Great vis. 

Hardest thing is watering the vege garden (not really hard) and looking after animals as the gf is away.

No aircon would suck though and I'm guessing it cools a bit more on the coast once the sun goes down.

NL
yan_g wrote:

Paris, France. Heatwave here too. Temperatures aven't really dropped yet (they should be around 0°C but they're still between 5 and 10), seems like we'll have a long autumn followed by a long spring and no proper winter in between. It's been rainy every now and then.

Sounds like a regular year here, 6 months of wet and windy, 2 weeks of winter, 6 months of dry cold, 2 weeks of summer; give or take.

Melbourne, Australia

Melbourne here. I wrote this whole week off after going to Uni on Tuesday (for the air con) and being too wiped out from the lack of sleep the night before to focus on doing anything. Did a bit today at home, just hacking together some stuff in PD. I live right near the beach though, so that's been decidedly refreshing. And I must say, being far south of the CBD makes for slightly cooler top temperatures and probably slightly breezier nights. Smells like fire though, at the moment.

Last edited by fc (January 16, 2014 10:24 am)

Melbourne

Yeah, I'm glad I managed to smash out my track for this week in a night, since all I've wanted to do these last few nights has been to sit in front of a fan and drink beer while watching tv shows on my overheating laptop.

Melbourne

Still havent started this weeks track yet thanks to this BS. sad Thank Ferk the weekend is going to be cool.

St Louis

so the black metal songs will be like hot vs cold... it's definitely been very winter here

Coastal Australia

Extremes \m/

rdomain wrote:

Extremes \m/

\m/ x 1000

Brisbane

Drove from Sydney to Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and decided to go inland via the New England via duneedoooo hahah man that was a mistake. It was up to 45degrees. No aircon in my van. Not a car or person in site. My phone overheated and wouldn't work. Nearly hit a kangaroo. Strayaaa

omegachild wrote:

Drove from Sydney to Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and decided to go inland via the New England via duneedoooo hahah man that was a mistake. It was up to 45degrees. No aircon in my van. Not a car or person in site. My phone overheated and wouldn't work. Nearly hit a kangaroo. Strayaaa

Fark.

The Mortality Experience.

To hell with this mid-summer period in Adelaide.  These 40+ degree days are starting to really wear me down...