Salt Lake City, UT

A couple people in the comments for my song reported this, so I tested it and I get the same thing. But a few other people were able to listen to the full song. When I download the song, it's fine, and I checked the source mp3 I uploaded and there's no problem (for me) for that either. Is there some maximum kpbs setting for the MP3s to work in the player or something? Is it a PC/Mac thing? Other songs play for me fine, what's the deal?

http://weeklybeats.com/#/music/view/irregular-orbit

Los Angeles

I've had this issue using LAME mp3 encoder & Chrome- which I would guess maybe it's the same problem here?

Salt Lake City, UT

@trash80 I'm using Chrome, too. I think it's a Chrome bug with the internal html5 player at certain bitrates. I was able to reproduce the issue in Chrome with the same file uploaded somewhere else. So I played around with it a bit, switched programs to encode and uploaded it elsewhere after playing with quality and bitrates and I got it working outside of Weekly Beats, so I'm hoping my next track will work.

Stockholm

Getting this on jazzsequence's week 2...in latest Safari. General webkit issue maybe...? Loads of people must be using Lame though (i use audacity for example) so maybe it's a specific setting you're using jazzsequence?

The Wisconsin

What I did to listen to the song is pause it immediately and click on the progress bar to like 5 seconds in. The song then played just fine.

Salt Lake City, UT
sinewave wrote:

Loads of people must be using Lame though (i use audacity for example)...

I'm pretty sure that Audacity uses Lame, too, since they say on their site that they can't distribute mp3 encoding software themselves due to software patents (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa … i=lame-mp3), so I don't think that's really the difference. What kbps do you encode at?

Stockholm
jazzsequence wrote:
sinewave wrote:

Loads of people must be using Lame though (i use audacity for example)...

I'm pretty sure that Audacity uses Lame, too, since they say on their site that they can't distribute mp3 encoding software themselves due to software patents (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/fa … i=lame-mp3), so I don't think that's really the difference. What kbps do you encode at?

128 kbps. That's actually what I meant - that Audacity uses Lame. I could have been clearer but I meant that the options when using Lame encoding must be what the difference is.  Perhaps you took something slightly higher, and some of us had some bad internet conditions...? Can't think what else it would be really, as it played for some.

Salt Lake City, UT

I'm pretty sure then that it's the quality because I tend to use high VBR or 320kbps. I'll make a low quality version next time around.

128kbps is so 1997 ;p

Los Angeles

I wouldn't go low quality. I've found Lame has issues when using Chrome is all I meant. I tend to just use 320kbps CBR, seems to work well.

Salt Lake City, UT

@trash80 what do you use as your encoder if not Lame?

Los Angeles
jazzsequence wrote:

@trash80 what do you use as your encoder if not Lame?

Haha well I have a Adobe Cloud license now so I've been using Adobe Audition. Which has a pretty badass encoder. It takes just a few seconds for a 5 min song to save. smile

Salt Lake City, UT

That makes sense. Adobe can afford to have their own proprietary codec or use the Fraunhofer codec.

Los Angeles
jazzsequence wrote:

That makes sense. Adobe can afford to have their own proprietary codec or use the Fraunhofer codec.

We'd all be better off if ogg was more popular.

Salt Lake City, UT
trash80 wrote:

We'd all be better off if ogg was more popular.

In a perfect world...
smile

Salt Lake City, UT

Well, using a lower kbps didn't work. Uploaded Week 3 at 128kbps and it didn't make any difference. Seriously, I'm stumped. I've tried 2 different encoding programs. I guess I'll try Audacity next.

Los Angeles
jazzsequence wrote:

Well, using a lower kbps didn't work. Uploaded Week 3 at 128kbps and it didn't make any difference. Seriously, I'm stumped. I've tried 2 different encoding programs. I guess I'll try Audacity next.

Don't use VBR?