Chicago

Hihi,

I'm just curious if there is a certain expectation for level of competence. I've been at it right about a year, but (IMO) still sound pretty rough and have pretty eclectic tastes.  So I'm wondering if "too amateur" or "too weird" will be an issue.  I signed up thinking that forcing myself to create a track a week will really refine my fledgling workflow as well as ( hopefully) production skills over the course of the year.

TM

The way I look at it is this: no matter how "amateur" or "pro" you are, if you make yourself write a new track every week for a year, you are going to be a whole lot better than when you started. It's not a competition, so I wouldn't worry about comparing yourself to anyone - except for the purpose of learning, of course! As long as you feel that you're learning and improving, you're good to go!

Tacoma WA

its a challenge you're doing with others not a contest.

don't worry about it.

at the end of the year you'll be impressed how you've grown

NL

If you were to consider this a contest, you will beat everyone who drops out by default. In reality it's a challenge, nothing else, you won't even get a shirt if you complete it.

Oklahoma City, OK, USA

I'm gonna make myself a shirt when I complete it.

Chicago

Thanks for the replies.  Then I won't sweat it and I'll just do my thing. Last question, some stuff I might submit, might be more soundscape than structured music. Is there a requirement for a certain amount of beat/musical content for entries. Checked the sticky/FAQ and it seems like anything goes as long as copyrights aren't violated.

Orlando, FL

you should be fine as long as your submissions are at least 1 minute in length

Chicago

Great. Thanks again!

Tacoma WA
Techmonkey wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  Then I won't sweat it and I'll just do my thing. Last question, some stuff I might submit, might be more soundscape than structured music. Is there a requirement for a certain amount of beat/musical content for entries. Checked the sticky/FAQ and it seems like anything goes as long as copyrights aren't violated.

what's music?

i do a lot of noise and drone stuff.

that's so subjective its not even worth worrying about.

its all about lasting a year, and yah i made it every week in 2012 and didn't even get a sticker.
the feeling of accomplishment was far better imo.
now a patch.....

Vegas

Check out a book called "Finding the Roses"

Last edited by HEADERRASE (April 11, 2019 9:36 pm)

Germany
Techmonkey wrote:

...still sound pretty rough and have pretty eclectic tastes.  So I'm wondering if "too amateur" or "too weird" will be an issue.

Are you talking about me? big_smile

Chicago
Eraserhead! wrote:

Check out a book called "The War Of Art" by Steven Pressfield.

Novice/beginner mind allows for innovation, just stick to your gut and keep plowing through.

RZA said he believes 36 Chambers (Wu-Tang Clan's first album) was so successful because he had no idea he was doing. The next Clan album wasn't so successful, he thinks because he got "good" at production, so he went back to the basics are started reading "My First Piano Book" and chess books for kids (he's a great chess player).

peace!

Nice. Thanks for the positive insight. I know those times I've tried to make music to a specific formula (i.e emulate an existing artist/style) it worked, but sounded sort of lifeless. I have the most fun and best results (IMO) just doing my own thing without worrying too much about external expectations. Really looking forward to see how the next 52 weeks goes. Now that I know the goal is nothing more than make tracks, be creative, and have fun. Looking forward to checking out other people's tunes as well.I'm sure there's going to be a ton of really interesting music to hear.

Chicago
LeeBoertz wrote:

Are you talking about me? big_smile

big_smile

Dude, using this as a tool to learn yourself and your workflow is awesome. It's kind of what I did. I suck giant monkey nuts, but I was one of the 41 or 42 people who uploaded every week. Even if it was shit I forced myself to crank something out. I even did all of my tunes in one sitting too(I wanted to get good at creating "on the fly").

TL;DR- You're going to do just fine.

Chicago

That's my golden rule for this. Make _something_ every week. And if it happens I miss a week due to life, get something up the next week. Cheers! And if anyone sucks giant monkey nuts, it'll be me. But that's alright because eventually skills improve and I'll suck smaller monkey nuts. big_smile I... That just sounds wrong...

all I read was you like monkey nuts tongue lol jk